IBM Unveils Cognitive Computing Chips

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2011, 09:00 PM
IBM are very very clever people Big Grin

Reading things like this I marvel at it.....how unbelievable and exciting it is now........and then 25-50 years down the line it will simply be the norm, and we will look at greater technology will googly eyes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14574747

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressr.../35251.wss

The implementations for our technology now are mind boggling........I can only wonder if one day things like "transporter" technologys like the ones seen in star trek might not be just sci-fi one day lol.

There is a good side to technology but then you have to consider the bad side to technology as well........if they continue to put this type of increasingly smart tech in weapons systems then soon you will be faced with a formidable foe who can work out every single tactical option within a nano-second.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
06-09-2011, 05:19 AM
RE: IBM Unveils Cognitive Computing Chips
Look out, Lenovo could buy that technology now...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-09-2011, 12:25 AM
(06-09-2011 05:19 AM)Filox Wrote:  Look out, Lenovo could buy that technology now...

Smile

Do you mean these guys???

http://www.lenovo.com/uk/en/

I had to google it Undecided

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-10-2012, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 07:09 AM by Luminon.)
IBM has not released exact details of how its SyNAPSE processor works, but Dr Richard Cooper, a reader in cognitive science at Birkbeck, University of London said that it likely replicated physical connections using a "virtual machine".

This claim seems pretty suspicious to me. A virtual machine is a very obvious method to simulate neurons with the current hardware, the problem is, it's very slow and inefficient. For simulating one neuron you need hell a lot of transistors, processing power and memory, to keep track of all its parameters. So the resulting simulated brain is always slower than the original transistor-based hardware. The classical processor needs to simulate both, neuronal connections and their values, which will never be analog smooth, but will consume memory proportionally to how smooth they are. You need hell a lot of bits to store long numbers.

To go around this problem, we'd need something qualitatively different, something like memristors. "Memristor" technologies are natural candidates for this. Though their lattice of neurons is only 2D, 3D at most (and a single neuron can form hundreds of connections), they'd be better than on/off transistors, providing that the extra connections are software simulated. But one problem would be solved, the problem of storing the intensity of a synapse, a single memristor "bit" could store potentially infinite hair-splitting value and consume much less energy too.
08-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Skynet. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
(08-10-2012 09:00 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Skynet. Drinking Beverage

Exactly! I need me an enterprise to get the hell outta here!
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
08-10-2012, 12:00 PM
(08-10-2012 10:11 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  

You better get cracking on that warp drive, then. Yes

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-10-2012, 02:39 PM
(08-10-2012 10:11 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  

Hey, are you blind? I wrote, this is not going to work, because simulated neurons are always slower than their ttransissdlllllů...hhelp!f-.adfa-............
08-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Ha, doesn't matter if it's slower right now. In that case it will just require more hardware.

Don't forget that computers are constantly improving and newer technologies are coming out, like the memristors. After silicon based chips there will probably be graphene - and chips with more cpu cores built in.

Our understanding of the brain and its wiring is also improving.

Allot of our brain doesn't need to be simulated on a 1:1 basis because allot of it is redundant. Computers compute more reliably. Our brains need to cope with loss of neurons and other conditions that cause 'computational errors'.

Many neurons communicate using chemicals. When electrical signals are sent from the neurons there are still steps in the process that require chemical reactions to take place. This slows the process down considerably. Compared with rates of information transfer in your average computer, neurons are slow. The main difference is the massive amount of parallelism.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss