III Reich and Shoah recommended literature.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 04:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 04:51 AM by Szuchow.)
III Reich and Shoah recommended literature.
I would like to know what books pertaining to topics of III Reich and Shoah are considered must read by members of this forum. I looked for info on site of Yad Vashem Institute and I check bibliographies of books that I read but I would be grateful for opinions of other people interested in those subjects.

I'm familiar with works of such giants as Raul Hilberg, Peter Longerich, Ian Kershaw, Timothy Snyder, Christopher Browning or Michael Burleigh. Books by Richard Evans, Saul Friedländer and Stephen Fritz are on my reading list. But I feel it's still not enough and that is why I'm asking for opinion.

Also what do you think about older books such as Hitler biography written by Joachim Fest in 1973 or Martin Gilbert treatise about Shoah from 1978? They offer valuable insight or are irrelevant in 2016?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2016, 04:56 AM
RE: III Reich and Shoah recommended literature.
I consider wikipedia to be essential reading on any subject Smartass I think you're probably one of the most informed members on this particular topic - the only reason I would ever care to find out more than what's easily available would be for historical interest and to counter the "there was no holocaust" idiots. You obviously have a deeper interest than that, because you've read a lot of the literature.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-02-2016, 06:39 AM
(02-02-2016 04:56 AM)morondog Wrote:  I consider wikipedia to be essential reading on any subject Smartass

To be fair Wikipedia isn't so bad, though polish version suffers from certain lack of objectiveness when it came to religion.

(02-02-2016 04:56 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think you're probably one of the most informed members on this particular topic - the only reason I would ever care to find out more than what's easily available would be for historical interest and to counter the "there was no holocaust" idiots.

It's certainly possible but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this topic would result in several more books that people consider essential.

For countering Holocaust deniers there is no need for specialized literature I would say as their objections aren't about specifics. With them it isn't the case if Shoah was more ideological or rather about economy. On the side note there is one book that I suppose could be used specifically to counter Holocaust deniers claim - Lying About Hitler: History, Holocaust, And The David Irving Trial by Richard Evans.

(02-02-2016 04:56 AM)morondog Wrote:  You obviously have a deeper interest than that, because you've read a lot of the literature.

Sure, I have deep interest in this subject. But I still would like to widen my knowledge.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
03-02-2016, 04:24 PM
I'm sorry you're not getting more replies. The only book I can think of is Victor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning, written by a survivor of the Shoah, but I don't think that's really what you're looking for. I haven't read any books that give a lot of detail about the Shoah. I'm currently reading Paul Johnson's A History of the Jews, which obviously must talk about the Shoah, but only for a relatively small section of the book -- after all, it covers 4000 years of history.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
03-02-2016, 04:36 PM
(03-02-2016 04:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm sorry you're not getting more replies.

I'm too, but it is not history forum after all.

(03-02-2016 04:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The only book I can think of is Victor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning, written by a survivor of the Shoah, but I don't think that's really what you're looking for.

Thanks but I already have it and it is on my to read list.

(03-02-2016 04:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I haven't read any books that give a lot of detail about the Shoah. I'm currently reading Paul Johnson's A History of the Jews, which obviously must talk about the Shoah, but only for a relatively small section of the book -- after all, it covers 4000 years of history.

Maybe I check it someday. Now though I have lot to read, which makes me a very happy book mole.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-02-2016, 05:43 PM
I think Axis History Forum would be a good place to inquire about this. (It's not completely full of Nazi fanboys, there's a lot of hard history goes on there.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
04-02-2016, 12:21 AM
(03-02-2016 05:43 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I think Axis History Forum would be a good place to inquire about this. (It's not completely full of Nazi fanboys, there's a lot of hard history goes on there.)

I looked there. At a quick glance I didn't found anything that I didn't knew. Probably though I will check it again.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-02-2016, 01:09 PM
(04-02-2016 12:21 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 05:43 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I think Axis History Forum would be a good place to inquire about this. (It's not completely full of Nazi fanboys, there's a lot of hard history goes on there.)

I looked there. At a quick glance I didn't found anything that I didn't knew. Probably though I will check it again.

Sounds to me like you've hit saturation on published works and should start seeking original sources. Aren't there some oral history projects you could consult?
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
04-02-2016, 01:22 PM
(03-02-2016 04:36 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 04:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm sorry you're not getting more replies.

I'm too, but it is not history forum after all.

Plus, you already hit on most of the touchstones anyone without a really academic interest might think of.

I do think if you're interested in historiography as much as history then older works would be useful from that perspective.

I'd also be interested in the sorts of works published in the former second world back in the day, for similar reasons, but I wouldn't know anything about that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
05-02-2016, 02:42 AM
(04-02-2016 01:09 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 12:21 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I looked there. At a quick glance I didn't found anything that I didn't knew. Probably though I will check it again.

Sounds to me like you've hit saturation on published works and should start seeking original sources. Aren't there some oral history projects you could consult?

It may be a good idea to consult such. Though there still is much literature that I could read if not for language barrier namely books of German authors. I could only hope that they will be translated, which is kinda expected for more notable ones I think.

Mikhail Bakunin.