IMO the most horrible, F**ked up Bible verse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
IMO the most horrible, F**ked up Bible verse
Matt. 12:36 It's basically stating that if you have a conversation that is not about Christianity, that merits an eternity of torment. Wtf, it's in some ways even worse than all the rape and murder.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 10:55 PM
RE: IMO the most horrible, F**ked up Bible verse
(10-12-2013 08:23 PM)Lawls Wrote:  Matt. 12:36 It's basically stating that if you have a conversation that is not about Christianity, that merits an eternity of torment. Wtf, it's in some ways even worse than all the rape and murder.

Quote:33 “Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. 35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Explain to me how Jesus calling out the Pharisees is 'basically' a statement on non-Christian conversation?
10-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Are you referencing the "empty word" part? If so, I think people should be responsible for what comes out of their mouths. I just don't think it has eternal reprucussions for the speaker. It does most definitely have consequences (be it positive/neutral / negative) on those impacted by the words.

Blink
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton
11-12-2013, 02:47 AM
(10-12-2013 08:23 PM)Lawls Wrote:  Matt. 12:36 It's basically stating that if you have a conversation that is not about Christianity, that merits an eternity of torment. Wtf, it's in some ways even worse than all the rape and murder.

I don't think it is saying that. Look at these translations in parallel.

The verse in Koine Greek is:

Λέγω δὲ ὑμῖν ὅτι πᾶν ῥῆμα ἀργὸν ὃ λαλήσουσιν οἱ ἄνθρωποι, ἀποδώσουσιν περὶ αὐτοῦ λόγον ἐν ἡμέρᾳ κρίσεως:[1]

The word ἀργόν means "idle, lazy; useless, ineffective; careless" according to Mounce but I think casual is a better fit. The idea being that even what you utter in casual conversation--even if it is not obviously blasphemous or profane--is being noted by Yahweh as it indicates what is in your "heart":

34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. 35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.

That is fundamentally a Jewish idea. Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox Jews wear the tzitzit to remind them to always have Yahweh's commandments uppermost in their minds.[2]

This doesn't mean that Jews and Christians are only allowed to have conversations about Judaism or Christianity; rather it means that even in their casual conversations they shouldn't breach any commandments (not just the canonical Ten Commandments).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chippy's post
11-12-2013, 09:09 AM
This reminds me when I used to go to church, I would sit during the sermon and look at the bad bible verses and point them out to my wife.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2013, 07:05 PM
I Kings 22:22- God sends a lying spirit.