IQ Related Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2010, 09:57 PM

IQ Related Question
In a recent conversation, someone in my family mentioned a study that showed no measurable difference in intelligence between good and poor spellers. Has anyone heard of this study? Is this true?

All the people I know who genuinely can't spell also don't read. (If English is your second language and you're still a good speller, you're just a god.)
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 11:07 PM
RE: IQ Related Question
If you can't read you can't spell Those two are related because they are both based on knowledge of a written language. Intellegence level is not based on whether you are educated in written language. A person with a low IQ may be better at spelling than a person with a high IQ because of education. If the study has not calculated for difference in education it is not going to have an accurate result.

If you are femiliar with Ben Stein, you will know that he has an excellent memory for things and places (see Ben Stein's Money game show where he challenges people to be smarter than him by answering questions about trivia). You will also know that he was involved with the creationist movie Expelled (which got interviews with scientists using dishonest techniques and then "creatively edited" these interviews to discredit the scientists) showing that not only is he not smart buy he is stupid enough to believe that dishonesty is OK to prove a point if he believes in the point.

Sorry, I strayed a little, but the point is that you have to make sure that you have enough data to cover as many sides as possilble and you have to verify the accuracy of that data.
Example. You could believe Ben Stein is very intellegent by watching 'Ben Stein's Money. You could believe that he is nothing but a dishonest creationist idiot if you are aware of 'Expelled.'
The bottom line is he is a dishonest creationist idiot with an excellent memory for trivia.

I don't know if this helps or if I just went on a self indugent tirade, but hopefully someone will get something out of it, even if it is just a chuckle.
[/quote]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I've never heard of the study, personally, but I could vouch for it with anecdote at least. I had a WONDERFULLY brilliant teacher of University Calculus as an advanced class in High School that was the most mathematically gifted human being I've ever seen, completely solving our integrals and functions with an astounding amount of clarity and certainty and speed.

This being said, he could not spell. Tongue

I seriously doubt that the fact that I could spell 100 times better than him warranted any kind of false belief that I had a higher IQ. I think, like you suggested, spelling has a lot to do with exposure to writing in general. His field of work and his passion involved numbers and letters, but only rarely putting those letters into a correctly spelled word. You made mention about spelling correctly in a foreign language, and I think that's exactly it. I can't spell in French for my life, but it's because I've only had very limited access to written French compared to the amount of time I've had with English.

Like I said, though, this is all anecdotal. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2010, 04:20 AM

An IQ test measures one set of capabilities - we can argue indefinitely about what IQ tests measure, naturally. Spelling almost certainly involves different capabilities than those measured by IQ tests. I place little or no value on IQ numbers because (a) it's impossible to come up with one number that represents all aspects of intelligence, and (b) it's impossible to come up with a context-free IQ test. I've never given IQ numbers any significant credence.
07-09-2010, 06:21 AM

I was always told that your IQ (I was tested when I was young) measured your ability to learn, to absorb knowledge and make connections (I believe it was that particular test, but I have nothing to base that assumption on).

Reading and writing, however require different skill sets (IMHO) than test taking or matching patterns and shapes. I believe that an IQ test could be used to measure your capacity for reading and writing, or for learning new languages or however you tailor the test.

But I don't think that people that can't read or write necessarily have low IQ's. My wife is severely dyslexic. To the point where it takes her months to get through a Nicholas Sparks book. However, she is phenomenal at spreadsheets, budgeting, planning and measuring dosages by weight for veterinary purposes.

Her reading and writing are awful. Her math and knowledge retention are amazing and intuitive. So I say there is no direct correlation.
07-09-2010, 06:31 AM
I can certainly read but I'm a lousy speller. And, spell-check has made me worse because it allows me to be lazy about it.

I have no idea about this study but, given my own spelling limitations, I'm calling BS on it. Tongue

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-09-2010, 06:41 AM
I am an excellent speller, and use proper grammar and punctuation at all times. I also never use spell check. My IQ is equivalent to that of toilet paper. I am a certifiable idiot, and if I lived in a town I would be the town fool. Proof that spelling and IQ are unrelated!

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
07-09-2010, 06:46 AM

(07-09-2010 06:41 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  ...My IQ is equivalent to that of toilet paper. I am a certifiable idiot, and if I lived in a town I would be the town fool. ...

I'll second that....

wait.

WHO SAID THAT?!?! Tongue

(kidding)
07-09-2010, 06:55 AM
ouch. just ouch.

Kenspeckle is your attempt to degrade my confidence and resolve. I beseech you, quell these hellacious incursions on my character.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
07-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I can also vouch for spelling having no connection to overall intelligence. I also use correct spelling and grammar at all times (at least, I think I do), but this is because I make a conscious effort to do so. Poor spelling and grammar annoy me. But I know several people who are much more intelligent than I and have terrible spelling and grammar. The example that leaps to mind is the user "lrkun" at the League of Reason forums. I haven't been over there in a while, as deleting accounts and blocking 'bots over here has sucked up most of my time, but lrkun always impressed me with his clarity of thought and logic.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user