IQ test. WARNING—not suitable for theists—Cognition Required...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2016, 07:31 AM
RE: IQ test. WARNING—not suitable for theists—Cognition Required...
I found exactly 24. I was surprised when I found out that this was the solution; the way you phrased it made it sound like it was going to be a lot more than 20.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
15-12-2016, 08:28 AM
(14-12-2016 09:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 09:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Another IQ-type test...

It's claimed that if you can discern 20 triangles (in all/any configurations) in this diagram, you have an IQ of at least 120 or "superior" as per WAIS–IV, WPPSI–IV, and Stanford–Binet fifth edition.

[Image: CzGsFh7XUAIM2r1.jpg]

The actual number of triangles comes as a surprise, and I'm guessing few people will get the right number. I didn't. Ouch!

The answer, with explanatory diagrams is here...

[Image: CzUulE7XAAA9aEy.jpg]

Huh

I made it to 20 triangles with ease. My actual tested IQ is respectably higher than 120. How do you explain that? Dodgy

Ditto, though lost track after 22 and had to check the answers.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
15-12-2016, 08:42 AM
(15-12-2016 08:28 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 09:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I made it to 20 triangles with ease. My actual tested IQ is respectably higher than 120. How do you explain that? Dodgy

Ditto, though lost track after 22 and had to check the answers.

You guys don't count Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-12-2016, 09:36 AM
I got 23, but I can't for the life of me figure out which one I missed. When looking at the answer, I seem to recall finding each of the 24. Blink

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
15-12-2016, 09:37 AM
I think finding a way to approach it systematically to facilitate keeping track of the ones you've already found and to know when you've covered every possibility is key to this problem. In fact certainty that I have them all and have not double counted any eluded me. Maybe with more work I could achieve that certainty but I can tell it won't be easy. But if Syz knows of an official/sanctioned answer to how many are possible I would rather just be told. Big Grin

As a former math teacher I enjoy the challenge of counting problems. Since I stupidly laid out my solutions without spoiler tags at first, I can offer a another good but different triangle counting problem. It is a better problem if you don't know the number of possible solutions ahead of time, but here it is for those who either want the hint or for checking when you think you have them all.

Another Triangle Problem: How many distinctly different**** shapes can you make by connect four congruent (i.e., same sized) isosceles right triangles* in such a way that one solid figure*** is formed and that each triangle is connected to other triangles only along whole sides only**?

*An isosceles, right triangle is what you get if you divide a square in half across a diagonal. (The two sides of the triangle formed which had been sides of the square will be equal, making it isosceles, and the angle between them -coming from the square- must be 90 degrees, making it a right triangle as well.)

**If you allowed triangles to be connected by half a side, or a third, fourth, etc. there would be an infinite number of shapes possible. No fun for counting.

***The solid figure requirement is to rule out shapes consisting of two solid regions connecting only by a point. For example, if you used the four triangles to make two squares and then connected the two squares only by a corner, you would have two solid shapes, not one. That isn't allowed.

****Finally, what counts as distinctly different? If you come up with two shapes where one would exactly overlay the other either by rotating or flipping it, then it does not count as a separate, distinctly different shape for this problem.

Note: this is a plane geometry problem. All the triangles must lie in the same plane.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
15-12-2016, 04:58 PM
(15-12-2016 09:37 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Another Triangle Problem: How many distinctly different**** shapes can you make by connect four congruent (i.e., same sized) isosceles right triangles* in such a way that one solid figure*** is formed and that each triangle is connected to other triangles only along whole sides only**?

*An isosceles, right triangle is what you get if you divide a square in half across a diagonal. (The two sides of the triangle formed which had been sides of the square will be equal, making it isosceles, and the angle between them -coming from the square- must be 90 degrees, making it a right triangle as well.)

**If you allowed triangles to be connected by half a side, or a third, fourth, etc. there would be an infinite number of shapes possible. No fun for counting.

***The solid figure requirement is to rule out shapes consisting of two solid regions connecting only by a point. For example, if you used the four triangles to make two squares and then connected the two squares only by a corner, you would have two solid shapes, not one. That isn't allowed.

****Finally, what counts as distinctly different? If you come up with two shapes where one would exactly overlay the other either by rotating or flipping it, then it does not count as a separate, distinctly different shape for this problem.

Note: this is a plane geometry problem. All the triangles must lie in the same plane.

Needs clarification:

- Is overlap permitted?
Four isosceles triangles stacked atop one another in the same plane are all "joined along whole sides only" and result in one original isosceles triangle.

- Does "distinctly different" rule out two objects of identical geometry but different sizes?
Are the squares made using two and four triangles considered identical? Moot if you can't use overlap.

- Does "distinctly different" rule out two objects of identical geometry and size but different internal joins of the triangles?
◢◩ and ◥◩ cannot be rotated or flipped to be identical if you count the internal join between the black and white triangles in the square. Flipping ◥◩ gets you ◪◣ which is not the same as ◢◩.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
15-12-2016, 05:10 PM
(14-12-2016 09:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 09:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Another IQ-type test...

It's claimed that if you can discern 20 triangles (in all/any configurations) in this diagram, you have an IQ of at least 120 or "superior" as per WAIS–IV, WPPSI–IV, and Stanford–Binet fifth edition.

[Image: CzGsFh7XUAIM2r1.jpg]

The actual number of triangles comes as a surprise, and I'm guessing few people will get the right number. I didn't. Ouch!

The answer, with explanatory diagrams is here...

[Image: CzUulE7XAAA9aEy.jpg]

Huh

I made it to 20 triangles with ease. My actual tested IQ is respectably higher than 120. How do you explain that? Dodgy

Shhhh Aliza, new atheists can't fathom that a person can be intelligent and still believe in a god.
[+] 2 users Like Celestial_Wonder's post
15-12-2016, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2016 05:49 PM by Full Circle.)
I took me 5 minutes but I counted 20 then I checked and saw there were 24... crap.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-12-2016, 06:05 PM
(15-12-2016 05:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I took me 5 minutes but I counted 20 then I checked and saw there were 24... crap.

Hey the requirement was only 20.
15-12-2016, 07:53 PM
(15-12-2016 09:37 AM)whateverist Wrote:  I think finding a way to approach it systematically to facilitate keeping track of the ones you've already found and to know when you've covered every possibility is key to this problem. In fact certainty that I have them all and have not double counted any eluded me. Maybe with more work I could achieve that certainty but I can tell it won't be easy. But if Syz knows of an official/sanctioned answer to how many are possible I would rather just be told. Big Grin

As a former math teacher I enjoy the challenge of counting problems. Since I stupidly laid out my solutions without spoiler tags at first, I can offer a another good but different triangle counting problem. It is a better problem if you don't know the number of possible solutions ahead of time, but here it is for those who either want the hint or for checking when you think you have them all.

Another Triangle Problem: How many distinctly different**** shapes can you make by connect four congruent (i.e., same sized) isosceles right triangles* in such a way that one solid figure*** is formed and that each triangle is connected to other triangles only along whole sides only**?

I have done the OP triangle problem before, so I'm not going to address that. I'll go treat your problem off line when I have some time. I had some spare time about 20 YA, and looked into how many distinct configurations of cubes one could assemble for a given number of cubes. I got up to 7 cubes before life caught up with me, and I haven't got back to it yet. I'm thinking that a person could come up with a formula, but haven't got that far. It's on my list of things to do, but probably about #10 in line. I think that I also lost the file that had all the pictures. Sadcryface That was a lot of work.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post