ISIS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2015, 10:59 AM
RE: ISIS
(08-02-2015 10:15 AM)Ace Wrote:  why isn't the UN security council not planning a massive invasion of ISIS territory ? its not like the council isn't guilty of doing it before

They prefer not to lead the charge, though. Forgive me if I sound arrogant, but UN won't send troops en masse unless America does. Then at least the world can blame us if shit goes wrong.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2015, 11:59 AM
(08-02-2015 10:15 AM)Ace Wrote:  why isn't the UN security council not planning a massive invasion of ISIS territory ? its not like the council isn't guilty of doing it before
Only a fool would send a Western army in to invade in the Arab nations.

Invade Iraq, next minute ISIS forms.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
08-02-2015, 12:23 PM
(08-02-2015 11:59 AM)Stevil Wrote:  

The UN does have plenty of Arab members, who they should be working to mobilise. It's their region, after all. Of course, that's not easy since most of them hate each other...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-02-2015, 01:44 PM
(08-02-2015 11:59 AM)Stevil Wrote:  

wasn't that because they just left troops there without doing much to rebuild ?

also isn't it foolish not to invade ?
08-02-2015, 01:45 PM
(08-02-2015 12:23 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 11:59 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Only a fool would send a Western army in to invade in the Arab nations.

The UN does have plenty of Arab members, who they should be working to mobilise. It's their region, after all. Of course, that's not easy since most of them hate each other...

ofc they hate each other, why else would the UN still be relevant ?

either way, if they don't like foreign troops being near their land when there an obvious terrorist problem in it then they might as well be supporting the terrorist
08-02-2015, 02:32 PM
(08-02-2015 10:59 AM)yakherder Wrote:  

They prefer not to lead the charge, though. Forgive me if I sound arrogant, but UN won't send troops en masse unless America does. Then at least the world can blame us if shit goes wrong.

"The UN" doesn't have troops to send.

A UN-flagged effort would require A: member nations willing to contribute significant amounts of troops, supplies, and infrastructure; and B: no objections from any affected member nations, let alone a security council veto.

... this is my signature!
08-02-2015, 02:38 PM
(08-02-2015 01:44 PM)Ace Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 11:59 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Only a fool would send a Western army in to invade in the Arab nations.

wasn't that because they just left troops there without doing much to rebuild ?

also isn't it foolish not to invade ?

Read this report. In particular the Summary section from pages xiii to xvii
How Terrorist Groups End

The goals of the Islamic extremists (Al qaida/ISIS) are
Quote:- Its goals were the same: uniting Muslims to fight the United States and
its allies (the far enemy) and overthrowing western-friendly regimes in
the Middle East (the near enemy) to establish a pan-Islamic caliphate.

This is why ISIS are using media, horrific acts (shooting children, burning people, throwing people off buildings, videos of them bartering over Yazidi women at a "slave market".
They want the West to react.
An invasion by the West helps them acheive their goals, by instilling outrage in the Muslim community (against the invasion by the West), increasing recruitment into the ISIS cause, uniting the Muslims to focus on the common enemy (The West).

Quote:- Our analysis
suggests that there is no battlefield solution to terrorism. Military force
usually has the opposite effect from what is intended: It is often overused,
alienates the local population by its heavy-handed nature, and
provides a window of opportunity for terrorist-group recruitment.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
08-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Quote:An invasion by the West helps them acheive their goals, by instilling outrage in the Muslim community

If the members of the Muslim community (in any country) are "outraged" by attacks on ISIS than they are sympathizing cunts and should go over there so the coalition can bomb them too.

No 'decent' human being, Muslim or otherwise, can possible defend the actions of these savage extremist cunts.

There is no Muslim country in the Middle East that supports ISIS. Even Iran hates them.. fucking Iran.. there was a point where the US and Iran were actually going to work together to fight ISIS.
You are pulling this notion that fighting ISIS will rally Muslim support out your fucking ass.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-02-2015, 10:30 PM
(08-02-2015 09:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You are pulling this notion that fighting ISIS will rally Muslim support out your fucking ass.

I thought major quantities of ISIS fighters were foreign? A la Mujahedeen... Obviously somehow they're attracting foreign recruits.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-02-2015, 05:44 PM
(08-02-2015 10:30 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 09:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You are pulling this notion that fighting ISIS will rally Muslim support out your fucking ass.

I thought major quantities of ISIS fighters were foreign? A la Mujahedeen... Obviously somehow they're attracting foreign recruits.

Percentage wise (of total ISIS fighters) it's not as high as the media imply. 30% maybe? (though that's based on outdated statistics). But that includes surrounding Muslim countries. It also includes Chechnya which is part of Russia (but might as well be its own country). The leader/founder is Chechen.

Stevil is right that an invasion would gather support via recruits. I thought he meant gather support in the form of governments (which I'm sure he did actually say in a previous post). But ISIS also increase support for groups fighting against them too such as the Kurds.

ISIS are Sunni and a lot of the Muslim world is Shia. The Shia don't want to see the Sunni take off as much as we don't want to see that happen. And of course things like airstrikes will gain recruits for ISIS (and has) but that's made pretty much redundant by the fact that the coalition is launching airstrikes... no point in have an extra couple thousand soldiers if you can no longer gain ground and your infrastructure is destroyed and leaders killed off.