ISIS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2015, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 03:29 AM by morondog.)
RE: ISIS
(06-02-2015 02:53 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Algebra was given to the world by Indians. And the socalled "arabic numerals" are in fact from India aswell.
All those mathematical milestones which people claim to originate from the Arab world are in fact from India.

... Origins are complex. But you can't deny that their contribution was significant.

Edited to add quote:
Quote:n the context where algebra is identified with the theory of equations, the Greek mathematician Diophantus has traditionally been known as the "father of algebra" but in more recent times there is much debate over whether al-Khwarizmi, who founded the discipline of al-jabr, deserves that title instead.[16] Those who support Diophantus point to the fact that the algebra found in Al-Jabr is slightly more elementary than the algebra found in Arithmetica and that Arithmetica is syncopated while Al-Jabr is fully rhetorical.[17] Those who support Al-Khwarizmi point to the fact that he introduced the methods of "reduction" and "balancing" (the transposition of subtracted terms to the other side of an equation, that is, the cancellation of like terms on opposite sides of the equation) which the term al-jabr originally referred to,[18] and that he gave an exhaustive explanation of solving quadratic equations,[19] supported by geometric proofs, while treating algebra as an independent discipline in its own right.[20] His algebra was also no longer concerned "with a series of problems to be resolved, but an exposition which starts with primitive terms in which the combinations must give all possible prototypes for equations, which henceforward explicitly constitute the true object of study". He also studied an equation for its own sake and "in a generic manner, insofar as it does not simply emerge in the course of solving a problem, but is specifically called on to define an infinite class of problems".[21]

The Persian mathematician Omar Khayyam is credited with identifying the foundations of algebraic geometry and found the general geometric solution of the cubic equation. Another Persian mathematician, Sharaf al-Dīn al-Tūsī, found algebraic and numerical solutions to various cases of cubic equations.[22] He also developed the concept of a function.[23] The Indian mathematicians Mahavira and Bhaskara II, the Persian mathematician Al-Karaji,[24] and the Chinese mathematician Zhu Shijie, solved various cases of cubic, quartic, quintic and higher-order polynomial equations using numerical methods. In the 13th century, the solution of a cubic equation by Fibonacci is representative of the beginning of a revival in European algebra. As the Islamic world was declining, the European world was ascending. And it is here that algebra was further developed.

Bolding mine

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2015, 09:54 AM
(05-02-2015 12:56 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Do you really think propaganda material from IS to be trustworthy concerning the number of civilian deaths, including women and children???

I dont need IS propaganda. I have seen enough videos and images years before this group even existed to show me how innocent people get killed.

I think everybody is a little bit too late to the party if im honest. There has been many atrocities happening around the world done by "civilised" societies as much as savage ones. They dont really get much mainstream press, which leads to public awareness like this deal with IS.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
06-02-2015, 10:46 AM
(03-02-2015 11:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  The only worry I have with the idea of war is it costs a lot of resources and time, and you can't just go kill the fuckers, you have to stabilise the area, somehow win the hearts and minds of the local population - if ISIS govern with terror though, the local population may be primed to support anyone who's not them.

I recently watched a Vice interview with ISIS, in reality it seems that they've won the hearts and minds of the locals. They insure that people are fed, that the poor are taken care of, that local business behave honestly. That folks abstain from alcohol and drugs.

It's a nightmare for people in the margins, dissenters, those with opposing religious view, etc.., but the locals themselves don't seem particularly disgruntled. For many of them life might even be better than under the rule of Saddam, or Maliki.

It's remarkable that ISIS their fighters are not particularly a bunch of disgruntled young men, but folks who seem pretty content, happy in fact, in their brotherhood of violence. You can sort of see why a disenfranchised young Arab in the west, void of finding any real sense of meaning and significance, would be attracted to joining ISIS, and perhaps finding exactly what he was looking for in it.
06-02-2015, 12:08 PM
This makes for even more depressing reading ...

Yes, ISIS Burned a Man Alive: White Americans Did the Same Thing to Black People by the Thousands

Humans really depress me sometimes.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
06-02-2015, 01:44 PM
(06-02-2015 12:08 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  This makes for even more depressing reading ...

Yes, ISIS Burned a Man Alive: White Americans Did the Same Thing to Black People by the Thousands

... Yes, and it should be condemned. Author of the article seems to think it means "you can't judge ISIS" Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-02-2015, 01:51 PM
(06-02-2015 12:08 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  This makes for even more depressing reading ...

What a sickening little fuck that author is.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
06-02-2015, 01:54 PM
(06-02-2015 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  

... Yes, and it should be condemned. Author of the article seems to think it means "you can't judge ISIS" Rolleyes

However, since I've never beheaded or burned anyone to death, I hold the moral high ground on ISIS and will fucking well judge them to be cruel, barbaric, and religiously insane.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
06-02-2015, 02:22 PM
(06-02-2015 02:51 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 03:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Some Germans are Muslims aren't they.

Are we to treat them as Germans or as Muslims? What is their defining thing?

What a dumb question.

Some Germans are neo nazis, are you going to treat them as neo nazis or German citizens?

Since when are people from certain countries treated differently?
My question was to highlight the absurdity of your own position.

(05-02-2015 01:29 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  The peacefull muslims myth is a myth and nothing more.

Look at them, they are fucking savages and nothing more.

Coupled with your absurd statement on the difference between Germans and Muslims
(05-02-2015 01:51 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  It took Germany 7 years to join into bloodfirsty murderers for 6 years and then 4 years to turn them into a peacefull secular republic.

It took Islam 800 years to......... what exactly did they achieve in that time besides remaining savages?

You seem to forget that many Germans ARE Muslims.
06-02-2015, 02:27 PM
(06-02-2015 02:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 02:51 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  What a dumb question.

Some Germans are neo nazis, are you going to treat them as neo nazis or German citizens?

Since when are people from certain countries treated differently?
My question was to highlight the absurdity of your own position.

(05-02-2015 01:29 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  The peacefull muslims myth is a myth and nothing more.

Look at them, they are fucking savages and nothing more.

Coupled with your absurd statement on the difference between Germans and Muslims
(05-02-2015 01:51 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  It took Germany 7 years to join into bloodfirsty murderers for 6 years and then 4 years to turn them into a peacefull secular republic.

It took Islam 800 years to......... what exactly did they achieve in that time besides remaining savages?

You seem to forget that many Germans ARE Muslims.

A citizen of the German republic is a person in recognition of the values, principles and laws of the republic. A person who accepts that he lives within a set of values.

And I do not considere any individual who opposes those values and seeks to overthrow these values as a fellow citizen.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
06-02-2015, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 02:51 PM by Stevil.)
Here is a very interesting report that I have recently stumbled upon. I haven't read it all yet, but thought others may also want to read.

How Terrorist Groups End

A few relevant bits
Quote:- The evidence since 1968 indicates that most groups have ended because
(1) they joined the political process or (2) local police and intelligence
agencies arrested or killed key members. Military force has rarely been
the primary reason for the end of terrorist groups

- Following an examination of 648 terrorist groups that
existed between 1968 and 2006, we found that a transition to the political
process is the most common way in which terrorist groups ended
(43 percent).

- Most terrorist groups that end because
of politics seek narrow policy goals. The narrower the goals of a terrorist
organization, the more likely it can achieve them without violent
action—and the more likely the government and terrorist group may
be able to reach a negotiated settlement.

- Against terrorist groups that cannot or will not make a transition
to nonviolence, policing is likely to be the most effective strategy
(40 percent).

- in 10 percent of
the cases, terrorist groups ended because their goals were achieved

- military force led to the end of terrorist groups in 7 percent of the
cases.

- Militaries tended to be most effective when used against terrorist
groups engaged in an insurgency in which the groups were large, well
armed, and well organized.

- But even precision weapons have been of limited
use against terrorist groups. The use of substantial U.S. military power
against terrorist groups also runs a significant risk of turning the local
population against the government by killing civilians.

- Religious terrorist groups take longer to eliminate than other
groups. Approximately 62 percent of all terrorist groups have
ended since 1968, but only 32 percent of religious terrorist groups
have ended.

- Religious groups rarely achieve their objectives. No religious
group that has ended achieved victory since 1968.

- Size is a significant determinant of a group’s fate. Big groups of
more than 10,000 members have been victorious more than 25
percent of the time, while victory is rare when groups are smaller
than 1,000 members

- When a terrorist group becomes involved in an insurgency, it does
not end easily. Nearly 50 percent of the time, groups ended by
negotiating a settlement with the government; 25 percent of the
time, they achieved victory; and 19 percent of the time, military
forces defeated them.

- After September 11, 2001, the U.S. strategy against al Qa’ida centered
on the use of military force. Indeed, U.S. policymakers and key
national-security documents referred to operations against al Qa’ida as
the war on terrorism.

- The evidence by 2008 suggested that the U.S. strategy was not
successful in undermining al Qa’ida’s capabilities. Our assessment concludes
that al Qa’ida remained a strong and competent organization.

- Its goals were the same: uniting Muslims to fight the United States and
its allies (the far enemy) and overthrowing western-friendly regimes in
the Middle East (the near enemy) to establish a pan-Islamic caliphate.

- Al Qa’ida’s resurgence should trigger a fundamental rethinking of U.S.
counterterrorism strategy. Based on our analysis of how terrorist groups
end, a political solution is not possible. Since al Qa’ida’s goal remains
the establishment of a pan-Islamic caliphate

- First, policing and intelligence should be the backbone of U.S.
efforts.

- Second, military force, though
not necessarily U.S. soldiers, may be a necessary instrument when al
Qa’ida is involved in an insurgency

- Local military forces frequently
have more legitimacy to operate than the United States has, and they
have a better understanding of the operating environment

- This means a light U.S. military footprint or none at all. The
U.S. military can play a critical role in building indigenous capacity but
should generally resist being drawn into combat operations in Muslim
societies
, since its presence is likely to increase terrorist recruitment.

- A key part of this strategy should include ending the notion of a
war on terrorism and replacing it with such concepts as counterterrorism

- It(war on terrorism) also encourages others abroad to
respond by conducting a jihad (or holy war) against the United States
and elevates them to the status of holy warriors.

- Our analysis
suggests that there is no battlefield solution to terrorism. Military force
usually has the opposite effect from what is intended: It is often overused,
alienates the local population by its heavy-handed nature, and
provides a window of opportunity for terrorist-group recruitment.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post