IT HAPPENED 0_0

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
IT HAPPENED 0_0
After 4 months of being in Montreal I finally answered the door to a proselytizer. Luckily since I don't speak french she just left a pamphlet rather than talking with me. Took a while for me tofigure out from the pamphlet but it was a jehova's witness. Oddly the pamphlet was printed in the US but the door to door proselytizer didn't know enough english to spread her message. Most people here can at least kind of speak english. I know French is preferred here but I would think evangelists would learn both languages of their home if they really want to spread the message.

She was probably in her early 30's which is a lot different than what Im used to. Old womend or young men. But for my first outright brush with religion since coming to Montreal it sure was bland =p Ah well had to happen eventually.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
10-07-2012, 10:38 AM
RE: IT HAPPENED 0_0
I get mostly families - mom and dad and 2 or 3 kids.

They haven't been here in a while, so I am hopeful they finally got the message to leave me alone.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-07-2012, 10:41 AM
they never got the message back in missouri, but since coming to monteal religion has been really benign. It was funny because as it happened I was talking to someone about how religion doesn't come up here =p I'm really dreading the fact I'll be back in Missouri soon enough.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Coulez une vache, s'il vous plait. All the French you need for them peeps. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2012, 10:56 AM
They came to my door last week (they = JWs). My 220lbs of dogs didn't make them pushy at all as they dropped a flyer and went back up the walk.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
10-07-2012, 10:59 AM
She was very polite, asked me if I was sleeping (yeah I know some french =p). It's just really weird that she didn't know enough english to take the opportunity.

And it's so awkward that it kinda marks the end of the complete non observance of religion I've had. Previous to today my biggest religious experience in Montreal was seeing a jesus painting hung up in someone's kitchen.

10-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Just say "Desole - Je ne veux pas le papier. J'aime la pensée rationnelle"

Which I believe means "Sorry - I don't want the paper. I like rational thought"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-07-2012, 11:07 AM
But I didn't know what the paper was until after she left =p

She didn't even start talking about religion. The conversation went, (Sorry were you sleepng?) sorry I don't speak french, oh you speak english? I can't (hands the pamphlet and leaves).

10-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Until the 1960s, Québec was an intensely religious place; Catholic. The vast majority of towns are called Saint something. This all changed in the 1960s. To understand that change, one needs to know about two things: Maurice Duplessis and the Quiet Revolution.

The language issue is it's own thing entirely and it's about as complex as it gets. This woman's bilingualism, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with her evangelism. To understand the relationship, one needs to know about two things: the last few hundred years of Québec and Canadian history (which takes a long time to sift through) and the Two Solitudes.

Oh, and Lilith, if you didn't see any signs of religious influence in Montreal, they you simply weren't trying Cool

[Image: st-joseph-oratory.jpg]
[Image: cross2b.jpg]

[Image: montreal%2Bnotre%2Bdame%2Bbasilica.JPG]

Oooooooooooo, the last one, the Basillica, is where Céline Dion got married. Ooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

And if there's one person in Québec who's bigger than Jesus, it's Céline!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
10-07-2012, 11:49 AM
I saw basilica's and of course many things like some of the holidays, but relics of the past are hugely different than active people. The reason I consider painting in someone's kitchen to be a bigger deal than gigantic churches is because that church was made a very long time ago. That painting is something hung by someone now. I was perfectly aware that there were religious people, but the difference between Montreal and Missouri is staggering. It's a lot more about history than the present. I expect a certain level of religion everywhere, but coming from Missouri thi is almost like a death of religion thanks for the info I'll look throughb it. I know a bit about the seperationist stuff and Quebeckers but not too much. Canada has never been my dream I was always after Japan so I have plenty to learn about. And Japan was a great place with almost no real religious impacts even though there was a statue or temple everywhere. When you have shrines in the lakes where exactly is religion not? Japan is not a place where you'll never see a religious thing, but it's the place where most of it s benign. That benign aspect is so amazing for me because where I live it' much more active and rampant.