IT'S TIME

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 11:09 AM
RE: IT'S TIME
I think the only Grand Theft Auto I even tried was the 1997 DOS version.

For the past 7 or 8 years, I haven't had more than a passing interest in anything not Fallout related. As demented as it sounds, it's because I'm a prepper/survivalist nutcase and games like Fallout make me feel hopeful about a future where life is actually interesting.

Is a world full of raiders and slavers for us to shoot at, and maybe even an occasional deathclaw, really too much to ask for? Evil_monster

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2015, 06:11 PM
I am an unashamed fanboy of this series. Can't wait Big Grin

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
04-06-2015, 06:23 PM
(04-06-2015 10:56 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 10:37 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  GTA's NPC physics?

No thanks... I'm not too keen on the idea of killing raiders and having their bodies become QWOP.

I don't know what that acronym is...

But I meant living NPC physical reactions. When they're bumped or shot or punched, they react realistically. When they fall, they try to catch themselves or reach for something to grab...

And when they are hit by a car their muscles all cease functioning.

QWOP stands for the keys Q,W,O,P on the keyboard and the name of a game online, where you control an Olympic runner using the QWOP keys to simulate moving the parts of QWOP's legs.
The game is notorious for QWOP's total inability to even stand, and his tendency to collapse ridiculously.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
04-06-2015, 06:37 PM
(04-06-2015 09:46 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 08:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You don't need to be narcissistic, you just need to hate stupid gimmicks that are unneeded and will prove to be nothing but a pain in the ass.

Dogmeat has been in just about every Fallout game, so the idea of making you more invested in the canine instead of making it an entirely useless, disposable, and often tactical liability, is anything but gimmicky.

Dogmeat in the original Fallout, where he follows you around without any controls, input, or upgrade-ability? Where keeping him alive through the end of the game should be an achievement, because the dog has zero ability to survive fights that include power armor and rocket launchers?

How about in Fallout 2, where you can only recruit him from a special and rare random encounter, and even then it requires a trick (un-equipping your armor to show him your Vault-Suit underneath) in order to get him to join your party?

Those were gimmicks. Dogmeat was a joke, but an endearing one. I just hope they have him do more than the dog from Dragon Age 2 or Fable 3.

I'm not against that sort of shit. Having a dog that auto follows you around that you can just kill off at any point is fine in my books. It's when you're playing hardcore, you're starving to death and you can't kill it for some Chinese take out because it's a key NPC and is thus unkillable that I frown upon.

The Fable 3 dog is the kinda shit I'm talking about. Where they try to make it your BFF and make it required to do certain shit like sniff out hidden treasure. But all it does is get in the way, does very minimal damage and gets stuck on small rocks.
04-06-2015, 06:39 PM
(04-06-2015 06:37 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 09:46 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Dogmeat has been in just about every Fallout game, so the idea of making you more invested in the canine instead of making it an entirely useless, disposable, and often tactical liability, is anything but gimmicky.

Dogmeat in the original Fallout, where he follows you around without any controls, input, or upgrade-ability? Where keeping him alive through the end of the game should be an achievement, because the dog has zero ability to survive fights that include power armor and rocket launchers?

How about in Fallout 2, where you can only recruit him from a special and rare random encounter, and even then it requires a trick (un-equipping your armor to show him your Vault-Suit underneath) in order to get him to join your party?

Those were gimmicks. Dogmeat was a joke, but an endearing one. I just hope they have him do more than the dog from Dragon Age 2 or Fable 3.

I'm not against that sort of shit. Having a dog that auto follows you around that you can just kill off at any point is fine in my books. It's when you're playing hardcore, you're starving to death and you can't kill it for some Chinese take out because it's a key NPC and is thus unkillable that I frown upon.

This tells me that you've actually managed to get yourself into that situation on Hardcore before.

And I have to ask how one might manage that...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
04-06-2015, 06:46 PM
(03-06-2015 08:06 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 11:04 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  You know that thing that you're doing? With the hopes and the ups?

Stop that.

You'll feel better in the future.

OH YEAH?

FUCKING SUCK IT, MATT! SUCK IT! SUCK IT!

It just wouldn't be Fallout without the Ink Spots...

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Does Liberty Prime count as a companion?

'Murican Canadian
04-06-2015, 10:25 PM
(04-06-2015 07:34 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Does Liberty Prime count as a companion?

No, IIRC, it was scripted to walk a long a certain path.
05-06-2015, 04:55 AM
(04-06-2015 10:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 07:34 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Does Liberty Prime count as a companion?

No, IIRC, it was scripted to walk a long a certain path.

Too bad, cause he was about the most badass, most 'murican commie destroyer in the history of gaming.

"Democracy... is non negotiable." (throws nuke while shooting lasers)

'Murican Canadian
05-06-2015, 11:13 AM
I was just thinking about the inevitably repeating voice acting in games... And BAM, an idea hit me.

In-game speech synthesiser. It would be perfect for the robots in Fallout. Imagine never hearing the same line twice?

I mean, humans would still require voice actors, but all the robot dialogue could be stuffed into a combination of script and algorithms. New jokes or conversations would be easy to mod in, or be implemented with patches, and then just fed through the unique voice profiles of each robot