IT Security Certs (Advice?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2015, 10:37 PM
IT Security Certs (Advice?)
I'm thinking of getting another since the one I currently have seems to be worthless in the job hunt. Right now I have Security +, which only the federal government seems to care about. I was thinking of investing in another this fall, but don't know where I should go. The 'safe bet' is on CISSP. It's widely accepted and extremely challenging. It's also very expensive and is more from a managerial standpoint...policy and design. Then there is the new CASP cert...it's more technician based, and I feel I would enjoy it more, and that it would even be more beneficial for me from where I want to go, but it is also newer, fewer people know about it which means it's not yet an industry standard, but more scary, the granting authority is also the same folks that grant the Security + cert, which, as I have mentioned, has not helped me one bit. Then there is the 'wildcard' cert. CEH or Certified Ethical Hacker. It has more clout than Security +, and CASP, but less than CISSP. It's also very challenging, and expensive. It's something that I would be more interested in than CISSP, but grants fewer (more specialized) job opportunities.

Advice me. Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2015, 12:26 AM
RE: IT Security Certs (Advice?)
(23-03-2015 10:37 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ... CISSP...
Advice me. Big Grin

See you in Straylia. Smile

Also, I'd advise you to check your spelling.

24-03-2015, 04:19 AM
(24-03-2015 12:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-03-2015 10:37 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ... CISSP...
Advice me. Big Grin

See you in Straylia. Smile

Also, I'd advise you to check your spelling.

This one was intentional. Thumbsup Don't worry, I'll school you on how the kids are cool with their hip speak.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
24-03-2015, 07:01 AM
The IT guys at my company told me I should get a Cisco CCNA after I get my Security+, for which I am taking the vendor exam tomorrow.

Hope that helps!
24-03-2015, 10:18 PM
(24-03-2015 07:01 AM)PittsburghTodd Wrote:  The IT guys at my company told me I should get a Cisco CCNA after I get my Security+, for which I am taking the vendor exam tomorrow.

Hope that helps!

PTiddy, Good luck, let us know how it goes. As for which one you SHOULD be getting depends entirely on which direction you want to take. If you want to be in security I would only get CCNA as a secondary cert. If you want to be a network admin then CCNA is where it is at.