ITT I document my brother and me's attempt to prove or disprove ESP.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2015, 05:13 PM
ITT I document my brother and me's attempt to prove or disprove ESP.
We're using empirical evidence.

He looks at pictures, concentrates, and "sends" them to me. I have no idea how many pictures he has "sent" or what the pictures are. The time frame from start to finish of the test is only a few minutes.

Test 1

The images that came into my mind were:

1) grass/leaves/vegetation
2) desert
3) Gambit
4) dog
5) a platform in the water
6) aircraft carrier
7) our old house
8) our old treehouse

The images he "sent":

1) a road lined with grass and heavy vegetation (grass/leaves/vegetation)
2) a beach (desert)
3) Gambit (Gambit)
4) tiger (dog)
5) a platform in the water for ships (a platform in the water)
6) boats and barges (aircraft carrier)
7) an old car (our old house and our old treehouse)

Conclusion:

I'm not in any way convinced of ESP, but the results are curiously odd. I still remain very skeptical. We'll do some more tomorrow.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2015, 05:28 PM
RE: ITT I document my brother and me's attempt to prove or disprove ESP.
I'll think of a number between 1 and 10, you guess it. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-02-2015, 05:30 PM
(23-02-2015 05:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll think of a number between 1 and 10, you guess it. Tongue

2?

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-02-2015, 05:31 PM
It's 4
23-02-2015, 05:38 PM
(23-02-2015 05:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-02-2015 05:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll think of a number between 1 and 10, you guess it. Tongue

2?

Actually yes. Consider

That's kinda weird.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Test 2

My brother "sent" me something on my way home from work. He did not tell me he was going to do it. When I picked up my kids from my parent's he asked me if I thought about our old cat on the way home from work. I did not.

Conclusion:

In this blind test, the ESP did not work.

24-02-2015, 09:02 AM
... Hum.

8 things isn't a helluva lot. Also criteria were a bit flexible. e.g.

you had grass/leaves/vegetation and he "sent" a picture of a road... but roads have grass/leaves/vegetation so you record a win...

You had "desert" and he "sent" "beach"... I dunno, seems more like post-facto fitting than actual send. Also... I dunno, could easily be the odd *amazing* *gasp* coincidence.

Gambit - how much did you and he watch X-men, does he know you like X-men etc.

Also, did you receive in the same order sent or not? If the order was also different, is *easy* to convince yourself he says "I sent beach" and you look through your list of things he sent and see "desert" and declare a match...

I suggest:
1. Use actual photos - don't allow receiver to see them before experiment.
2. Make them random - not objects from everyday experience.
3. Make sure sender and receiver are not in communication *other* than the posited ESP.
4. Receiver must record full description before sender makes known what was sent.
5. Try for as much detail as possible - if sender is just sending "sand" or "brown" is easy to come up with false positive match.

What were the conditions of the first test? Sender/ receiver in same room?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-02-2015, 09:23 AM
(24-02-2015 09:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... Hum.

8 things isn't a helluva lot. Also criteria were a bit flexible. e.g.

I agree. It was the first test, so we went simple

Quote:you had grass/leaves/vegetation and he "sent" a picture of a road... but roads have grass/leaves/vegetation so you record a win...

You had "desert" and he "sent" "beach"... I dunno, seems more like post-facto fitting than actual send. Also... I dunno, could easily be the odd *amazing* *gasp* coincidence.

Well, I didn't chalk those up as "wins", I just classified them as being close to what he "sent".

Quote:Gambit - how much did you and he watch X-men, does he know you like X-men etc.

X-Men was a part of our childhood, but it wasn't anymore than Voltron, He-Man, Transformers, GI Joe, etc. Also, Gambit is a seemingly random choice given the circumstances. This was definitely the oddest one.

Quote:Also, did you receive in the same order sent or not? If the order was also different, is *easy* to convince yourself he says "I sent beach" and you look through your list of things he sent and see "desert" and declare a match...

No, I don't think they were in order.

Quote:I suggest:
1. Use actual photos - don't allow receiver to see them before experiment.

He did. He pulled up pics on the Internet.

Quote:2. Make them random - not objects from everyday experience.

Yes, I agree they could be more random.

Quote:3. Make sure sender and receiver are not in communication *other* than the posited ESP.

We are doing blind testing as well as seen in test 2.

Quote:4. Receiver must record full description before sender makes known what was sent.

I agree.

Quote:5. Try for as much detail as possible - if sender is just sending "sand" or "brown" is easy to come up with false positive match.

I agree

Quote:What were the conditions of the first test? Sender/ receiver in same room?

No. He was at work in BR, and I was at work in Port Allen.

24-02-2015, 09:42 AM
I would suggest comparing the images that come to mind:
a) When he sends a set of images, and
b) When he sends no images
Preferably in a semi-random way. It would seem to me that comparing the reliability of these two data sets would give you the kind of data you are after.

For example:
1. Brother chooses an image to send and flips a coin
2. If heads, brother sends an image of his choosing then sends a fixed image such as a beach. If tails, the same but in the opposite order. He sends a standard text-only message at the beginning of each message, such as "sending now". He does not tell you the outcome of the coin toss. He should send for a fixed amount of time in each case, say one minute.
3. When you see "sending now" you receive and record your received image. When you are done send a standard text-only message such as "image received"
4. Your brother describes the image to you. You select which of your received images better matched the image of his choosing but do not tell your brother the outcome.
5. Your brother now tells you the outcome of his coin toss. If he says heads and your first image was closer the test was a "hit", otherwise it was a "miss". If he says tails and your second image was closer the test was a "hit", otherwise it was a "miss".

I haven't done the maths to figure out what a pass would look like, but out of a series of experiments you would want a hit in something like 4/5 cases to conclude the series of experiments as a whole was a "hit".

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
24-02-2015, 09:45 AM
This ESP is between you and your brother who most likely have a similar background and probably many of the same memories of growing up in the same house and other shared experiences. If I were to send my sister 10 ESP images, I'd probably send a couple of childhood memories that highlighted both our lives. This experiment should be conducted between total strangers.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.