ITT I teach you how to buy and sell cars.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2011, 03:17 PM
ITT I teach you how to buy and sell cars.
I sold cars for 3 years. If you have any questions about make, model, price, financing, insurance (depends on the state), etc just ask. I'll do my best to help you get a good car at a good price. I could rant about it but I'll wait on someone to ask a question.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2011, 09:18 PM
RE: ITT I teach you how to buy and sell cars.
I have a sudden urge to give you negative reps.... must be the car salesman thing. This is a great and helpful idea though and I thank you for it. Won't do me a Canadian non driver any good, but I'm sure since there are more americans on the forum than Nucks, someone will get some good out of you.

I have the skills of movie and comic book knowledge. If you are in BC I could probably still get you hooked up with some quality ganj, though I have been out of the game for quite some time. Also I know the places you should avoid.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
17-12-2011, 01:24 AM
I bought Citroen Xsara 1.4 last year. It had only 26000 km, so that was the main reason why I took it, almost a new car, yet 10 years old. What do you think about the car itself? It is very comfortable, has a rally pedigree, but how durable are they? I already hear some strange noises from front right wheel, probably the shock absorbers, or something there. Oh, it's now on 50000 km, I drive a lot.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
17-12-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm actually in the market for a new ride this spring. I'm planning on trading in a 2006 M3 convertible before it hits 60k miles and during the spring (verts are in higher demand in spring). I'm looking for 2008 M3s in red or black, 6MT preferred, under 40k miles. Any insights into what they go for at auction and what a dealer might have paid for them?

I've found several 2008s on Autotrader for $45k-48k, but that's asking price - if I know what they paid I know how far I might be able to talk them down Tongue

Better without God, and happier too.
17-12-2011, 11:19 AM
(16-12-2011 09:18 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I have a sudden urge to give you negative reps.... must be the car salesman thing. This is a great and helpful idea though and I thank you for it. Won't do me a Canadian non driver any good, but I'm sure since there are more americans on the forum than Nucks, someone will get some good out of you.

I have the skills of movie and comic book knowledge. If you are in BC I could probably still get you hooked up with some quality ganj, though I have been out of the game for quite some time. Also I know the places you should avoid.

This could be useful information. A few months ago I had to eat the last of my brownies before I crossed the border just in case. Good thing I did because Officer Not-So-Friendly gave my van a pretty good anal probe. Fun camping the night before, but then my fun in Vancouver was slightly diminished for it. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-12-2011, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2011 09:30 AM by germanyt.)
(17-12-2011 01:24 AM)Filox Wrote:  I bought Citroen Xsara 1.4 last year. It had only 26000 km, so that was the main reason why I took it, almost a new car, yet 10 years old. What do you think about the car itself? It is very comfortable, has a rally pedigree, but how durable are they? I already hear some strange noises from front right wheel, probably the shock absorbers, or something there. Oh, it's now on 50000 km, I drive a lot.

I've actually never even seen a Citroen in real life. I suppose I can't help you on that one. But if it runs good and rides nice it's probably okay. Most cars, no matter the make can go a quarter million or more with just regular maintenance.
(17-12-2011 11:11 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  I'm actually in the market for a new ride this spring. I'm planning on trading in a 2006 M3 convertible before it hits 60k miles and during the spring (verts are in higher demand in spring). I'm looking for 2008 M3s in red or black, 6MT preferred, under 40k miles. Any insights into what they go for at auction and what a dealer might have paid for them?

I've found several 2008s on Autotrader for $45k-48k, but that's asking price - if I know what they paid I know how far I might be able to talk them down Tongue

That's too much money. We had a 2006 M5 in Indianapolis Red w/ ~35000 miles on it and it sold for 37,000USD. I would expect them to go for 30-35 at auction depending on condition. An average BMW dealer is going to try and make like 6 or 7 grand on a car like that. If you see them for 45 they probably own it for less than 40.

Just looked it up. Trade value is anywhere from 33000 - 36000. Plus cost of sending it to service, tires, etc. Dealer would probably own a perfect condition 40K mile M3 for about 38000. Don't pay more than 40 (in mint condition) and try to get it for around 37 and go from there. And remember, private sellers always want more money for their car than it's worth. One reason is becasued they are in love it with the car and don't have a salesman there to smack them back into reality. Private party sellers likely haven't done the most recent $400 maintenance, haven't checked brake pads, tires, rotors, etc. Try to buy one from a dealer with a maintenance plan and warranty for under 40 grand and you've got a hell of a deal.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
19-12-2011, 09:32 AM
(17-12-2011 01:24 AM)Filox Wrote:  I bought Citroen Xsara 1.4 last year. It had only 26000 km, so that was the main reason why I took it, almost a new car, yet 10 years old. What do you think about the car itself? It is very comfortable, has a rally pedigree, but how durable are they? I already hear some strange noises from front right wheel, probably the shock absorbers, or something there. Oh, it's now on 50000 km, I drive a lot.

I am not a mechanic, nor have I played one on TV, but another possibility is the U-joint (no, not the kind of joint you're used to) has, I think it's called a CVC Boot around it at the wheels. If it's just the boot, it's inexpensive to fix, and you should do it soon, because if it's the U-joint and it goes out while you're driving, you're in a world of hurt. My terminology may be incorrect, but I've had both experiences. Undecided

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
19-12-2011, 09:35 AM
(19-12-2011 09:32 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

I am not a mechanic, nor have I played one on TV, but another possibility is the U-joint (no, not the kind of joint you're used to) has, I think it's called a CVC Boot around it at the wheels. If it's just the boot, it's inexpensive to fix, and you should do it soon, because if it's the U-joint and it goes out while you're driving, you're in a world of hurt. My terminology may be incorrect, but I've had both experiences. Undecided

It depends on the noise. A CV (constant velocity) joint would click when the wheel is turned to lock. You'd go around a corner and hear click click click click click. Shocks would just sound like a thud when you went over bumps. It's really impossible to tell without driving or at least hearing it.

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
19-12-2011, 10:34 AM
(19-12-2011 09:18 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

I've actually never even seen a Citroen in real life. I suppose I can't help you on that one. But if it runs good and rides nice it's probably okay. Most cars, no matter the make can go a quarter million or more with just regular maintenance.
(17-12-2011 11:11 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  I'm actually in the market for a new ride this spring. I'm planning on trading in a 2006 M3 convertible before it hits 60k miles and during the spring (verts are in higher demand in spring). I'm looking for 2008 M3s in red or black, 6MT preferred, under 40k miles. Any insights into what they go for at auction and what a dealer might have paid for them?

That's too much money. We had a 2006 M5 in Indianapolis Red w/ ~35000 miles on it and it sold for 37,000USD. I would expect them to go for 30-35 at auction depending on condition. An average BMW dealer is going to try and make like 6 or 7 grand on a car like that. If you see them for 45 they probably own it for less than 40.

Just looked it up. Trade value is anywhere from 33000 - 36000. Plus cost of sending it to service, tires, etc. Dealer would probably own a perfect condition 40K mile M3 for about 38000. Don't pay more than 40 (in mint condition) and try to get it for around 37 and go from there. And remember, private sellers always want more money for their car than it's worth. One reason is becasued they are in love it with the car and don't have a salesman there to smack them back into reality. Private party sellers likely haven't done the most recent $400 maintenance, haven't checked brake pads, tires, rotors, etc. Try to buy one from a dealer with a maintenance plan and warranty for under 40 grand and you've got a hell of a deal.

Thanks! I have no intention of buying from a private seller - no recoirse in the event something isn't as advertised... I will aim for <$40k out the door, I don't guess offering $37k on an asking price of $46k would be a horribly insulting lowball offer? Tongue

Better without God, and happier too.
19-12-2011, 11:06 AM
(19-12-2011 10:34 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(19-12-2011 09:18 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

Thanks! I have no intention of buying from a private seller - no recoirse in the event something isn't as advertised... I will aim for <$40k out the door, I don't guess offering $37k on an asking price of $46k would be a horribly insulting lowball offer? Tongue

If they are asking 46 they probably own it for 40 or 41. That seems high to me. Clean retail is 42ish. Don't count on out the door at under 40. Try to get 40 + maintenance plan/warranty + taxes. You'll be out the door with taxes and a warranty at right around retail value. That's the deal I'd try to get. Def look at other locations for better pricing though. For the money they are charging it'd be worth it to get a brand new 1 series M instead.

-Mark Twain