Iatrogenic seeds and psychoactive medication

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2018, 02:58 AM
Iatrogenic seeds and psychoactive medication
When I was on anti-psychotics I had such low self esteem, lack of optimism and direction. Now I'm off them I've really started to find my feet. I can't help thinking that the very fact I felt/was advised I needed to take anti-psychotics planted the iatrogenic seed in my mind that I am insane - and this seed grew into a mighty oak tree, devouring my optimism/self-esteem/direction. My lady friend is currently taking anti-depressants and reminds me very much of how I felt when taking anti-psychotics. IMO it wasn't the neuro-inhibitory action of the anti-psychotics that messed me up, as I suspected at the time, but rather the iatrogenic effect of being told "you're fucking crazy m8" - and my lady friend no doubt feels she's been told "life is fucking depressing m8". Thoughts?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2018, 06:29 AM
RE: Iatrogenic seeds and psychoactive medication
I take an anti-depressant because I struggle with depression. Depression is very real and very dangerous to leave untreated. Please don't go messing around with her mind to convince her that she doesn't need them. Let the doctors handle it and urge her to work with a therapist if you feel you must involve yourself.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
24-01-2018, 03:38 PM
There was a time when I too desperately needed psychoactive meds - the trouble is when the iatrogenic seed grows into a mighty destructive oak through habit...might take 2 months, 2 years, 10 years....and it could well be the case that the medicated doesn't actually need them any more/would be better off without them due to the cumulative deleterious psychological effects of perceiving there is something very wrong with oneself/the world etc. Habit is truly a motherfucker....
24-01-2018, 03:51 PM
(24-01-2018 03:38 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  There was a time when I too desperately needed psychoactive meds

Some might argue that you still need them.

Then I've known plenty of people who believed they too didn't need them.

None are still alive today.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-01-2018, 03:54 PM
(24-01-2018 03:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-01-2018 03:38 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  There was a time when I too desperately needed psychoactive meds

Some might argue that you still need them.

Then I've known plenty of people who believed they too didn't need them.

None are still alive today.

I'll give him some of mine if it'll make him shut up. Dude's out of his goddamn mind, and I would know better than most.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-01-2018, 04:24 PM
(24-01-2018 02:58 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  When I was on anti-psychotics I had such low self esteem, lack of optimism and direction. Now I'm off them I've really started to find my feet. I can't help thinking that the very fact I felt/was advised I needed to take anti-psychotics planted the iatrogenic seed in my mind that I am insane - and this seed grew into a mighty oak tree, devouring my optimism/self-esteem/direction. My lady friend is currently taking anti-depressants and reminds me very much of how I felt when taking anti-psychotics. IMO it wasn't the neuro-inhibitory action of the anti-psychotics that messed me up, as I suspected at the time, but rather the iatrogenic effect of being told "you're fucking crazy m8" - and my lady friend no doubt feels she's been told "life is fucking depressing m8". Thoughts?

First, your primary concern should be with yourself, rather than seeing yourself in others whose situations you feel somewhat parallel your own.

Second, it is probably true that there is a certain amount of confirmation that goes with taking psychiatric medication. But if the medication works, then the confirmation is at worst a minor side effect. It isn't something that is going to grow into something larger unless the medication isn't working and the person really does need medication that works. It is extremely rare that a doctor prescribes the correct cocktail on their first try. If the medication makes one feel more worthless and more depressed, then some other med needs to be tried.

Third, one's peers have a lot to do with one's mental health. A person who is struggling with depression or any other psychological condition needs to avoid the company of those who give them the opposite of support, and seek out the company of supportive peers. That is tough to do. In our feel good culture, we have almost no tolerance for anyone who is struggling with any psychological problems, and we tend to be the opposite of supportive. Consequently, a lot of people who struggle with psychological problems isolate themselves. No company is better than bad company.

Whether you choose to take meds or not, my advice to you is to seek out supportive company for yourself. You can't do that by seeing yourself in others, psychoanalyzing them as if they were you, and forming a strong opinion based on that.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
[+] 1 user Likes Yonadav Kenyon's post
24-01-2018, 08:29 PM
(24-01-2018 04:24 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  First, your primary concern should be with yourself

pfff, sorry, no disrespect intended, but I couldn't read past this glaring error I perceive. I'm just one person. Others are of the billions; never mind the non-humans. Prioritise myself?! Are u fucking mental fam?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24-01-2018, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2018 09:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-01-2018 08:29 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  
(24-01-2018 04:24 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  First, your primary concern should be with yourself

pfff, sorry, no disrespect intended, but I couldn't read past this glaring error I perceive. I'm just one person. Others are of the billions; never mind the non-humans. Prioritise myself?! Are u fucking mental fam?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the pretend Jew was suggesting you might be suffering a psychotic break. If he wasn't, I am. ... Consider I'm willing to share it with you, batshit bonkers brother. Smile Show me what's under your fundoshi big fella and I'll show you what's under mine. ... Consider carefully. Blush
What I'm gonna show you is fear in a handful of fucking dust under a dry rock where there are no eyes, fool. You should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across the floors of silent seas. That's what I'm gonna show you. Now, what you got to show me? ... Big fella. Wink
Make it interesting.
Big Grin

#sigh
24-01-2018, 09:04 PM
So if one isn't with the billionaire Donald Trump = top boy mentality one is psychotic? Gotcha yankee. Check my sig.
24-01-2018, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2018 09:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-01-2018 08:29 PM)Pragmatix Wrote:  

I give you this as a gift, fucking fool. ... Listen to it and be at least temporarily soothed, fool. ... Did I point out you're a fucking fool yet?

Hurry up please! It's time!

Fucking fools.

#sigh