Ice around the world?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Ice around the world?
I just signed up to this forum, because I wanted to share a thought I had about the story of Noah's Ark.

Basically, since the earth was completely flooded, and the Ark was high above mountains, the water was also high above mountains, this would mean water would be at a high enough point to freeze. If you rule out how everything up there would die because of the temperature and air pressure, this would create a huge orb of floating ice around the earth.

Also, considering how the bible says that god made the water "Sink away" wouldn't this mean that the ice would stay? Since ice is solid, it could not sink away, and thus it couldn't be explained that way.
Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2010, 09:13 AM
RE: Ice around the world?
Fairy tales are always full of holes. Bears don't eat porridge, pigs don't build houses, and god doesn't flood the earth.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2010, 09:18 AM

(17-08-2010 09:13 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Fairy tales are always full of holes. Bears don't eat porridge, pigs don't build houses, and god doesn't flood the earth.

I agree, but it would be interesting to use this argument when arguing with a christian about the bible and see how they react and counter it.
17-08-2010, 09:27 AM
wouldnt the air and atmosphere rise too, since extra water appears from somewhere?

Also remember the christian logic (if I can call it logic): everything is possible for god, so if god didnt want the water to freeze, it didnt. Big Grin

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
17-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow, I never really thought about that. Noah's Ark was actually one of the major influences that made me see the fallibility of the Bible. I would say after 150 days certainly at least some of the water would definitely be frozen, and we'd probably have tons more ice at the caps. =P

Of course, this is coming from an English major.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2010, 05:25 PM

The main hole in the Christian story of Noah's Ark stops short of science...it lacks logic really. Though raining for 40 days wouldn't really cause enough rain to reach up to the height of mountains anyway but, yeah! It would freeze the water unless God did his 'Defy-Science Superman Ability.' Big Grin I'm going to use this!

...And the fact that it implies generations of inbreeding...
17-08-2010, 06:25 PM
God's magic. There is no other way to explain most of the stuff in the bible. Such as the massive inbreeding. We know that wouldn't work. Creating a woman from a rib? Good luck finding a natural explanation for that. I've never understood fundamentalists that try to explain the bible with natural means. It cannot be done. Sure, they can piece together quote mined articles and use some scientific words when describing a few things, but keep pushing and they are forced to said, "Because god says so", or "God made it happen like that". If you can going to say "It was magic" that the water didn't freeze, why not say it was all just magic?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
17-08-2010, 06:50 PM
(17-08-2010 06:25 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  God's magic. There is no other way to explain most of the stuff in the bible. Such as the massive inbreeding. We know that wouldn't work. Creating a woman from a rib? Good luck finding a natural explanation for that. I've never understood fundamentalists that try to explain the bible with natural means. It cannot be done. Sure, they can piece together quote mined articles and use some scientific words when describing a few things, but keep pushing and they are forced to said, "Because god says so", or "God made it happen like that". If you can going to say "It was magic" that the water didn't freeze, why not say it was all just magic?

And we already established, in one of martinb59's threads, that the only way for all that water to exist in the first place is magic.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
17-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Not like it would make the story any more real, but how would that freezing happened? When water rises, what happens to the air and atmosphere, they have rise too, but do they dissapear into space or something.

Also, the reason why its warmer down here than up there, is that the heat of the sun comes through the air and ''lands'' on the oceans and land, heating them up. Am I right?
So if the water level rises about 8844 meters, the heat of the sun would warm the water level.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.