Icelandic women rock!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2016, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2016 09:51 AM by Full Circle.)
RE: Icelandic women rock!
(29-10-2016 08:40 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-10-2016 08:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Trying to wrap my head around your statement, are you saying Icelandic women don’t deserve equal pay for equal work? That their work is substandard to that of the men?

Zeke, you’re better than that.

No they do, but when you don't work equal, you don't get paid as much. (i.e if a man takes more days off than a woman, he should get the same pay as her and vice versa)
Women do take more days off then men, add to that pregnancy and job choices. The sex pay gap isn't about pay but earning, and there are many reasons for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay_gap

So no it isn't me saying women should earn less, just that when you combine the earnings of women in the country and take into account factors like job choices and time off, you get the 77 cents to the dollar thing.

As epronovost said this seems like semantics.

Let me put it very simply: Regardless of gender, a person performing equal work should receive equal pay.

You can argue all you like whether or not one person is better at their job than another, but to arbitrarily pay more or less based solely on gender is discrimination.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2016, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2016 10:12 AM by Metazoa Zeke.)
(29-10-2016 09:32 AM)epronovost Wrote:  the most important one being that jobs historically occupied by women, and where they still dominate, are underpaid compared to jobs historically occupied by men, and where they still dominate, that require similar amount of schooling (for example social workers vs engineers)

Well I would say that engineers contribute more to society than social workers. Most Jobs men dominate also have the risk of death.

Also to add discrimination may not be part of the reason for the sex pay gap. It could be, but lets not jump to it being a reason or not a reason.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
29-10-2016, 10:08 AM
(29-10-2016 09:43 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(29-10-2016 08:40 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  No they do, but when you don't work equal, you don't get paid as much. (i.e if a man takes more days off than a woman, he should get the same pay as her and vice versa)
Women do take more days off then men, add to that pregnancy and job choices. The sex pay gap isn't about pay but earning, and there are many reasons for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay_gap

So no it isn't me saying women should earn less, just that when you combine the earnings of women in the country and take into account factors like job choices and time off, you get the 77 cents to the dollar thing.

As epronovost said this seems like semantics.

Let me put it very simply: Regardless of gender, a person performing equal work should receive equal pay.

You can argue all you like whether or not one person is better at their job than another, but to arbitrarily pay more or less based solely on gender is discrimination.

And I agree, but to say women are being payed less than men and to then protest against women being paid less than men(even though it is not true) doesn't help there cause.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
29-10-2016, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2016 06:04 PM by epronovost.)
(29-10-2016 10:07 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Well I would say that engineers contribute more to society than social workers.

I would say its the exact opposite and we could argue all night long about this. The reality, is that it require the same investment in money and time to become social worker than engineer thus making one job much less profitable than the other on extemely subjective ground. Considering the situation, its obvious to me that both jobs, since they have the same requirements in terms of aptitudes and investement, should have a very similar if not identical pay.

(29-10-2016 10:07 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Most Jobs men dominate also have the risk of death.

Most job dominated by men don't have important risk of death. All jobs with higher risk of death and injury, beside international aid worker, nurse, paramedic, textile worker and strippers, are indeed dominated by men, but these jobs employ a rather small number of people overall. Furthermore, most high risk jobs have a pretty low pay like fisherman, lumbers, farmers and extraction miners (by far the most dangerous jobs). The vast majority of men are employed in safe jobs (with less than a 15 work related death per 100 000). Thus risk of death and severe injuries is not a very important factor in the gender pay gap.

(29-10-2016 10:07 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Also to add discrimination may not be part of the reason for the sex pay gap. It could be, but lets not jump to it being a reason or not a reason.

Its true that sexual discrimination isn't necessarly a factor for several jobs, but it is for others, especially when it comes to hiring and promotion bias in industries dominated by men (which happen to be more well paid). To a lesser degree, the same phenomenon has been observed in men in women's dominated industries. Finally, industries/sectors dominated by men are much more numerous, better paid and especially more diverse than industries/sectors dominated by women which is why this is especially problematic to women.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.