Icky. Purity Ball and this on going virgin culture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2014, 05:44 PM
RE: Icky. Purity Ball and this on going virgin culture
(12-05-2014 05:38 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Who made it taboo and filthy?

This is surely one of the biggest misconceptions floating around out there.

To say that Christianity teaches that sexual intimacy is filthy is something found primarily on infidel websites.

Oh very nicely dodged by selecting such a narrow example of intimacy within a married relationship. You forget to mention the whole host of other sexual repression where people are conditioned to think that non-sexual reproduction, homosexuality, masturbation, nudity and relationships outside of marriage are wrong.

You don't have to go on atheists sites to find out about that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
12-05-2014, 05:52 PM
(12-05-2014 05:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 05:26 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I would encourage anyone, male or female, to be sexually experienced and NOT get married. Big Grin

In my experience, that little piece of paper is seriously overrated...

It depends. If 2 working professionals get married they will likely incur a tax penalty in the US. Makes financial sense not to get married. But ManlyGirl is a stay-at-home Mom so we get a tax break. Makes financial sense to get married. ... That and one of us may have been pregnant at the time. Ain't saying which one. Big Grin

In the second scenario, there is a deferred financial penalty to the working spouse if things don't work out. I was fortunate enough to avoid the alimony bullet, but loosing half my stuff was still pretty disappointing - especially the blender, that was a really good blender... Sad

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
12-05-2014, 05:52 PM
(12-05-2014 05:39 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 04:23 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  The stance isn't that the fathers encourage the daughters to be chaste. It's a stance that's born from a culture that would kill any non-chaste woman, and would only make provisions against rape if the woman were a virgin. Bonus: if the woman weren't betrothed, she is forced to marry her rapist, because the real victim is her father, who would otherwise be stuck with an unmarriable virgin.

Citation: Deuteronomy 22:20-29

Christianity teaches that non-chaste women should be killed?

Interesting.

Now, what planet are you living on? Blink

The planet where we read the posts we respond to. Here, I'll highlight it in red for you and we'll see if you can spot the error in your logic:

(12-05-2014 04:23 PM)Me in this same thread Wrote:  The stance isn't that the fathers encourage the daughters to be chaste. It's a stance that's born from a culture that would kill any non-chaste woman, and would only make provisions against rape if the woman were a virgin. Bonus: if the woman weren't betrothed, she is forced to marry her rapist, because the real victim is her father, who would otherwise be stuck with an unmarriable virgin.

And you can say that Christianity doesn't teach that (I don't know any Christians that claim they should kill non-virgins), but:
  • Christians will cite other OT sex laws for why homosexuality is an abomination, and
  • many Christians have a strong stance on slut-shaming.
So, the only thing keeping them from actually holding that stance is some convenient cherry picking.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
12-05-2014, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 05:59 PM by TrainWreck.)
(12-05-2014 02:36 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  For thousands of years and in most religions there has been a world wide virgin culture that has subjugated women by turning their virgin status into a commodity owned not by the women themselves but by their fathers, brothers and even their mothers. To me when this idiot idea ends women will finally be free.

You are right. However, it is just recent, within a hundred and fifty years, that it was kind of a necessary evil, and since Western Women have enjoyed liberties that women before them did not - women have not offered society a better social organization charter. Why don't free women know how to eliminate the problem that you see?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
12-05-2014, 05:58 PM
(12-05-2014 05:39 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 04:23 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  The stance isn't that the fathers encourage the daughters to be chaste. It's a stance that's born from a culture that would kill any non-chaste woman, and would only make provisions against rape if the woman were a virgin. Bonus: if the woman weren't betrothed, she is forced to marry her rapist, because the real victim is her father, who would otherwise be stuck with an unmarriable virgin.

Citation: Deuteronomy 22:20-29

Christianity teaches that non-chaste women should be killed?

Interesting.

Now, what planet are you living on? Blink

Have you ever read the Bible? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
12-05-2014, 05:58 PM
(12-05-2014 05:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 02:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Its icky for a father to encourage his daughter to be a virgin until she is married?

Yes, yes it is. Very much so. My 22 yo daughter became sexually active at 16 (at least that's what I'm inferring based on the fact that's when I started paying for birth control). I'd've had a problem if she was 13 but ManlyGirl would've taken taken care of that behind the scenes without me knowing. A father being that interested and involved in his daughter's sex life is not only icky, it's creepy as all fuck. When my daughter moved out I was cleaning the room and found a bunch of post-its on the wall. When I saw "Have sex against a wall." I went "Sue! Sue! My eyes! My eyes they burn! They burn! Burn these post-its. Burn them straight to Hell!"

Fairly similar thing happened to me with my 20 year old daughter. I think 16 was her initiation. I later came across a note about her sex life which I stopped reading it very quickly. Didn't want to know any details.

Which brings me to an old tradition from early American life called "Bundling" and the the "bundling board".

[Image: bundling-board2.jpg]

The Colonial Americans weren't all that pure. Because there weren't very many inns to stay at and houses were cramped, when men came-a-courtin' the parents had him sleep in the same bed as the girl but it had a board separating them. The board was to keep the two apart but in looking at marriage and birth records of the time that darned bundling board wasn't working very well. Many a bride was pregnant when she got married.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
12-05-2014, 06:10 PM
(12-05-2014 05:58 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 05:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, yes it is. Very much so. My 22 yo daughter became sexually active at 16 (at least that's what I'm inferring based on the fact that's when I started paying for birth control). I'd've had a problem if she was 13 but ManlyGirl would've taken taken care of that behind the scenes without me knowing. A father being that interested and involved in his daughter's sex life is not only icky, it's creepy as all fuck. When my daughter moved out I was cleaning the room and found a bunch of post-its on the wall. When I saw "Have sex against a wall." I went "Sue! Sue! My eyes! My eyes they burn! They burn! Burn these post-its. Burn them straight to Hell!"

Fairly similar thing happened to me with my 20 year old daughter. I think 16 was her initiation. I later came across a note about her sex life which I stopped reading it very quickly. Didn't want to know any details.

Which brings me to an old tradition from early American life called "Bundling" and the the "bundling board".

The Colonial Americans weren't all that pure. Because there weren't very many inns to stay at and houses were cramped, when men came-a-courtin' the parents had him sleep in the same bed as the girl but it had a board separating them. The board was to keep the two apart but in looking at marriage and birth records of the time that darned bundling board wasn't working very well. Many a bride was pregnant when she got married.

Here's a little more info on Early American courtship and Bundling. It was also practiced by the Amish. Ha. Virginal brides? I think not.

http://www.caroljlarson.com/2013/09/teen...rting.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-05-2014, 06:41 PM
I want to point out he awful double standard here. Are there purity balls for the boys too? The boys pledging their virginity to their mothers? Consider

If not, imagine the shame some of these girls must feel when they quite naturally start to explore. If anyone finds out, it's all her fault because of some stupid pledge. Just dumb.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 7 users Like Smercury44's post
12-05-2014, 07:00 PM
As if Christians could not get any more creepy and Disgusting.

13-05-2014, 12:48 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 12:56 AM by GirlyMan.)
(12-05-2014 05:58 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 05:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, yes it is. Very much so. My 22 yo daughter became sexually active at 16 (at least that's what I'm inferring based on the fact that's when I started paying for birth control). I'd've had a problem if she was 13 but ManlyGirl would've taken taken care of that behind the scenes without me knowing. A father being that interested and involved in his daughter's sex life is not only icky, it's creepy as all fuck. When my daughter moved out I was cleaning the room and found a bunch of post-its on the wall. When I saw "Have sex against a wall." I went "Sue! Sue! My eyes! My eyes they burn! They burn! Burn these post-its. Burn them straight to Hell!"

I would so hump that board.

(12-05-2014 05:52 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  In the second scenario, there is a deferred financial penalty to the working spouse if things don't work out. I was fortunate enough to avoid the alimony bullet, but loosing half my stuff was still pretty disappointing - especially the blender, that was a really good blender... Sad

BlendTec? Vitamix?

#sigh