Icky. Purity Ball and this on going virgin culture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2014, 12:53 AM
RE: Icky. Purity Ball and this on going virgin culture
(12-05-2014 06:41 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I want to point out he awful double standard here. Are there purity balls for the boys too? The boys pledging their virginity to their mothers? Consider

If not, imagine the shame some of these girls must feel when they quite naturally start to explore. If anyone finds out, it's all her fault because of some stupid pledge. Just dumb.

That was my first thought, too. Why the obsession with controlling vaginas but nothing about the thing that's doing the penetrating!?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
13-05-2014, 02:42 AM
(13-05-2014 12:53 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 06:41 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I want to point out he awful double standard here. Are there purity balls for the boys too? The boys pledging their virginity to their mothers? Consider

If not, imagine the shame some of these girls must feel when they quite naturally start to explore. If anyone finds out, it's all her fault because of some stupid pledge. Just dumb.

That was my first thought, too. Why the obsession with controlling vaginas but nothing about the thing that's doing the penetrating!?

Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-05-2014, 03:24 AM
Sounds like every child abusing father's fantasy come true.
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
13-05-2014, 06:18 AM
I do not thinlk there is anything wrong with parents encourageing their kids to abstain from sex until adulthood. Parents that encourage abstaining need to not abandon the other bits of information the kids need. It worked for my parents and is working OK for us so far. We talk about it more as waiting for a loving committed relationship, not necessarily until marriage. My wife does not like it, but I am encourageing my kids to not get married.

The Purity Balls are icky, sexist and no where near a healthy way to deal with teen sexuality. Where are the Purity Balls for the little boys?
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
13-05-2014, 08:42 AM
I get what they're trying to do with this. It's a father protecting his daughter thing, not a "sell your virginity" thing. In our view it's controlling and gross but to them it's a special father protecting his daughter loving thing.

In saying that, there is so much wrong with this it's crazy.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-05-2014, 09:10 AM
I love how happy all those girls look in those pictures. Dodgy

I'll leave out the idea of Daddy having Daughter's virginity. It's poorly-phrased in a way that sounds incesty, but that's not what's happening. In most cases. I'd guess. So I'll give it a pass. It's still wrong on so many levels.

First of all, where's all the Mommies owning their sons' virginity until marriage? Is it like all the daughters have to be Christian by this ubernarrow definition, but the sons don't?

Second, EVEN if you're going to buy into the whole sexual purity, virgin until marriage thing, this sucks on so many levels. (But not that level.) I mean, what about the girl who says, "Yes, I'm going to stay a virgin until marriage, but that's MY choice and MY right and no one else gets to own me!" That's not about wanting to "sin", because she doesn't. It's about autonomy and self-empowerment and free agency. It's about being saved or damned (if you believe in that stuff) according to your own actions, rather than the decrees of someone else.

And it's also about adhering to some measure that won't evaporate on the 18th birthday.

And no, I don't think the virgin-until-marriage thing is a good choice. It's THEIR choice (er, when it isn't Controlling Daddy's choice), but I can be of the opinion that they've made it poorly. My point is that EVEN WITHIN THAT MINDSET, this whole thing is a bad, bad idea.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
13-05-2014, 12:59 PM
This is all soo....... um, soooo....... Islamic of them.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
13-05-2014, 01:13 PM
It's a silly thing really. Didn't the whole debutant thing die out?

This just seems another extension. A way of informing young men that the girl is ready for marriage.

Because let's be clear on this, it's exactly what's happening.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Or someone just figured out a way of making money.

http://www.generationsoflight.com/html/w...lsons.html
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
13-05-2014, 01:58 PM
(13-05-2014 01:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A way of informing young men that the girl is ready for marriage.

Because let's be clear on this, it's exactly what's happening.

Yes! And since we have this weird ritual, why aren't the girls wearing red dresses to signify that they are indeed menstruating? Thumbsup A teenage girl, at this most vulnerable time needs to be controlled... but we need to make her think it's "her" commitment... to something more in control than she could ever be. Especially where S.E.X. is concerned - remember Eve - women can be talked into anything! That's why we need to control them!! Blink

Confused I really don't want to get inside that kind of mind.

At least Jewish boys and girls have their "coming of age" rituals that are actually positive and empowering. Bar and Bat Mitzvah boys and girls become accountable for their actions... their own actions.

The secular equivalent: moving up to the adults' table at the larger family gatherings. Ah... this, I remember. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post