Ideas for dissertation in Classics?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Ideas for dissertation in Classics?
Hey,

I'm going into my final year studying Classical Civilisations and I really really really dislike this subject but I went down a long line of mistakes in finding myself here so I must complete it and get my degree.

My issue is that I'm supposed to submit a dissertation topic for 12-16k words and I'm late in doing so.

I really can't think of anything because of how much I dislike my course and the subject as a whole.

Has anybody got any ideas?

The only things I have enjoyed and been good at is Ancient Greek philosophy (from Thales all the way up to Plotinus) and Homers Odyssey (the only book I enjoyed).

I'm so fucking fucked. 12-16k words on something I have grown to despise lol.

My first dissertation idea was to document where ancient Greeks derived their morals from and the progression of these morals through to the 3rd century AD. This got rejected as it's too vast a time scale. Also, my tutors argued that in ancient Greece there was no real scriptures for moral teaching and most things were based on customs of reciprocity.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2016, 07:07 PM
RE: Ideas for dissertation in Classics?
I don't know if it would be appropriate for a dissertation (I've never read one) but there's a project I'm developing that you could help with...

I'm doing some voluntary hours at a local school. The children are so smart it scares me but they have attention spans of ... SQUIRREL!

I don't want to openly share the idea I'm developing but ... would a comparison of e.g. Plato's Republic to the modern internet age be something dissertating over?

01-09-2016, 10:15 AM
RE: Ideas for dissertation in Classics?
(25-08-2016 07:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I don't know if it would be appropriate for a dissertation (I've never read one) but there's a project I'm developing that you could help with...

I'm doing some voluntary hours at a local school. The children are so smart it scares me but they have attention spans of ... SQUIRREL!

I don't want to openly share the idea I'm developing but ... would a comparison of e.g. Plato's Republic to the modern internet age be something dissertating over?

Hmm, funnily enough one of my key modules in my final year is focused. It sounds fascinating although I fail to make a connection between the two.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.