Identifying an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Identifying an Atheist
So yesterday I told my new atheist friend that I'm atheist. She got really excited and told her boyfriend who is also atheist (with my permission as I explained that I unfortunately have to pretend to be religious). Her boyfriend, however, responded by saying that he already knew by how I act. I find this interesting because I still pretend to be Christian whenever I have to. Are there ways of identifying atheists even if they're in the closet? I ask because I'm curious as to how her boyfriend knew without having to be told, and I'd like to know if perhaps there are other people around me who are atheists but just not open about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2014, 09:55 PM
RE: Identifying an Atheist
(30-03-2014 09:42 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  So yesterday I told my new atheist friend that I'm atheist. She got really excited and told her boyfriend who is also atheist (with my permission as I explained that I unfortunately have to pretend to be religious). Her boyfriend, however, responded by saying that he already knew by how I act. I find this interesting because I still pretend to be Christian whenever I have to. Are there ways of identifying atheists even if they're in the closet? I ask because I'm curious as to how her boyfriend knew without having to be told, and I'd like to know if perhaps there are other people around me who are atheists but just not open about it.

Its easy, you eliminate people that look like this,
[Image: head_up_arse.jpg?w=490] voila !! Atheists remain.

Seriously though I have no idea, people get so good at hiding it from their theist peers that, you'd have to notice a lot of little non theist mannerisms to pick it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 6 users Like sporehux's post
30-03-2014, 09:56 PM
(30-03-2014 09:42 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  So yesterday I told my new atheist friend that I'm atheist. She got really excited and told her boyfriend who is also atheist (with my permission as I explained that I unfortunately have to pretend to be religious). Her boyfriend, however, responded by saying that he already knew by how I act. I find this interesting because I still pretend to be Christian whenever I have to. Are there ways of identifying atheists even if they're in the closet? I ask because I'm curious as to how her boyfriend knew without having to be told, and I'd like to know if perhaps there are other people around me who are atheists but just not open about it.

Well, did he really 'know'? Or did he only 'know' in the same way that someone says/does after you tell them you're a Virgo/Capricorn/Scorpio/etc. and they say, "oh I could totally tell you were X!" Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
30-03-2014, 10:10 PM
(30-03-2014 09:56 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, did he really 'know'? Or did he only 'know' in the same way that someone says/does after you tell them you're a Virgo/Capricorn/Scorpio/etc. and they say, "oh I could totally tell you were X!" Consider

I'm pretty sure he knew. It might not have been with 100% certainty, but I think he figured I was.
[+] 1 user Likes southernbelle's post
30-03-2014, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2014 11:44 PM by Freethought.)
Well for me, I can usually identify if one of my friends is an atheist by really just conversing with them. Usually, people extremely ambitious, and not afraid to voice their opinions on topics (especially of controversy), have the sense to be an atheist.

I say that in the way of how they assess arguments and formulate their opinions. These types of people tend to not be bias, and to argue in a very factual manner, leaving behind personal feelings as they often tend to obscure how you look at things in a reasonable fashion. Keep an eye on how somebody speaks and behaves, and that's a surefire way to know that they're either totally irreligious, or not practicing in all of the nonsensical bogus.

Something funny happened around a month and a half ago to me. I was talking to my friend in my english class, and I'm just like, "You're an atheist, aren't you?" He's like "How did you know?" And I'm just like, I can tell by the way you look at things and assess them, and the way in which you speak philosophically.

I mean look, you can obviously tell if somebodies strongly religious just at what things they're restricted of doing because of their religion or how they speak. Like if a Christian wears a cross on their neck, or if a Jewish person is wearing a Kipa.

Maybe it's not that obvious when it comes to atheists, as a good portion of us tend to not go around advertising the fact like these ''good religious people'', though you can sometimes see by way of collective cognitive thinking and how the world in which we live in is seen. Maybe your friends boyfriend could slowly get an idea by knowing for a fact you're not extremely religious, or did not appear like a believer, and so he never thought of you as someone who'd hold those beliefs. Then when speaking to you, he knew you were like-minded and related to you by how you think. That's my best idea of it anyway!

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post
31-03-2014, 12:06 AM
We could come up with a tattoo design, something to "mark" us, so-to-speak.

That'll make it easy, and REALLY freak out the religious folk.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
31-03-2014, 12:21 AM
(31-03-2014 12:06 AM)Anudist Wrote:  We could come up with a tattoo design, something to "mark" us, so-to-speak.

That'll make it easy, and REALLY freak out the religious folk.

Good idea.

Or we could just pin yellow stars onto our jackets.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
31-03-2014, 12:50 AM
(31-03-2014 12:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Good idea.

Or we could just pin yellow stars onto our jackets.

Drinking Beverage
Guess it would be easier to round us up that way. Stupid history.

Just do as the Christians do and wear an atom necklace.

For a serious reply, if you pay attention to things people say and the way they behave, you can usually make a fairly well educated guess at what they believe (or don't). Religious folk have a habit of working their religion into most conversations at some point. Talking about their weekend may involve church, or some other church activity. Talking through the week they will likely say something about upcoming plans doing with the church. Atheists and agnostics will avoid speaking about religion altogether, so anyone who actually pays attention can pretty easily gather some fair assumptions about the person they're speaking with.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 3 users Like Anudist's post
31-03-2014, 01:21 AM
It's like gaydar. You see, the mystical powers (which we deny, so shhhhh) issue the most despised demographic of each nation the supernatural power to identify one another despite there being no natural cues to recognize at all. Ever since gay people got to be more accepted than atheists in the US, our awareness of each other as atheists has increased to preternatural levels.

.... why the hell did my eyes just turn brown?
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
31-03-2014, 01:25 AM
(30-03-2014 09:42 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  Are there ways of identifying atheists even if they're in the closet?
If you squint really hard whilst humming "Always look on the bright side of life" you will see that there is no Halo floating inches above the heads of the atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post