Identifying an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 02:23 AM
RE: Identifying an Atheist
Some people can't tell though. I told this guy at work that I don't drink alcohol at all and his first reaction was,"You must be a church boy!" It kinda pissed me off when he said that. But instead I told him I wasn't a Christian. I think he knows now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2014, 02:39 AM
Just mention the love of Jesus and watch closely for the quickly-suppressed eye-roll of the atheist-inna-closet Wink Like, it's *really* hard not to roll your eyes if the message is vacuous enough.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
31-03-2014, 06:22 AM
(31-03-2014 02:23 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Some people can't tell though. I told this guy at work that I don't drink alcohol at all and his first reaction was,"You must be a church boy!" It kinda pissed me off when he said that. But instead I told him I wasn't a Christian. I think he knows now.

Ya he no longer thinks you are a christian. Now he thinks you are an alcoholic. Smile I'm only making this joke if you are not ok, if you are just pretend I wrote nothing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2014, 06:47 AM
(30-03-2014 11:38 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I say that in the way of how they assess arguments and formulate their opinions. These types of people tend to not be bias, and to argue in a very factual manner, leaving behind personal feelings as they often tend to obscure how you look at things in a reasonable fashion. Keep an eye on how somebody speaks and behaves, and that's a surefire way to know that they're either totally irreligious, or not practicing in all of the nonsensical bogus.

Anecdotally, I know quite a few Christians who are very logical when applied to certain things; it's just once you bring up Jesus, they bust out all the special pleading and wishful thinking. Outside of that context, they're extremely logical and rational thinkers.

It's really weird how someone can kind of turn it on and off when they want to (I blame cognitive dissonance on this one). I remember seeing this trend with myself back when I was a struggling believer. I realized that my standards for intellectual honesty became much more lax when discussing religion (well, the religion in which I believed). I bet this is super-common.

(31-03-2014 06:22 AM)proplayer44 Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 02:23 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Some people can't tell though. I told this guy at work that I don't drink alcohol at all and his first reaction was,"You must be a church boy!" It kinda pissed me off when he said that. But instead I told him I wasn't a Christian. I think he knows now.

Ya he no longer thinks you are a christian. Now he thinks you are an alcoholic. Smile I'm only making this joke if you are not ok, if you are just pretend I wrote nothing.

That, or Muslim or Mormon.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
31-03-2014, 06:55 AM
(31-03-2014 12:50 AM)Anudist Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 12:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Good idea.

Or we could just pin yellow stars onto our jackets.

Drinking Beverage
Guess it would be easier to round us up that way. Stupid history.

Just do as the Christians do and wear an atom necklace.

I wore a Atom necklace for some time and started getting treated like shit a certain places, like restaurants and some bars, even the grocery store. So that had to stop, which really pisses me off, considering the people that wear religious shit around their necks dont get that treatment.

I do however have a A-atom patch on my vest and never get shit for that....wonder why ? Wink

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
31-03-2014, 07:09 AM
I never realised that atom necklaces existed, yet alone symbolised anything.

If I had seen one I would have just assumed the person was interested in the natural sciences. Are some people so anti-science? Don't they see that so many things they take for granted have come from science?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
31-03-2014, 07:12 AM
I haven't come across any sure fire clues that someone is any X unless they come right out and say it. I've known a few people who I thought were religious that turned out to be atheists and vice versa. So in a technical way, he didn't "know" you are an atheist, he "had a pretty good idea" that you are an atheist.

That being said, there are cues that I've noticed, subtle body language when someone who is overtly religious mentions Jebus or Gawd. Eye rolls are the most blatant, but watch for small things like change in shoulder position, where the arms are resting, and narrowing of the eyes. These can indicate them going into a defensive or withdrawn posture. Most closeted atheists I know, self included, want to avoid those types of conversation due to the chance that they may reveal more about one's beliefs than they would like.

Again, there's no surefire way except to ask them straight up what their beliefs are.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
31-03-2014, 07:13 AM
(31-03-2014 07:09 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I never realised that atom necklaces existed, yet alone symbolised anything.If I had seen one I would have just assumed the person was interested in the natural sciences. Are some people so anti-science? Don't they see that so many things they take for granted have come from science?

This is the one I have. It may be because of the atheist monument thing here in Florida.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNWCIWhWkH8ZqR6ID2mkJQeO7C73tHLlLV]

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
31-03-2014, 07:14 AM
(31-03-2014 07:09 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I never realised that atom necklaces existed, yet alone symbolised anything.

If I had seen one I would have just assumed the person was interested in the natural sciences. Are some people so anti-science? Don't they see that so many things they take for granted have come from science?

Of the the more recognizable symbols for atheism is a modified Bohr model of an atom with an A in the center. A more basic design might just show appreciation of science or general geekiness. But the one with an A in the center is a dead giveaway.

[Image: P-AANecklaceS.png]

[Image: ef57_bohr_model_atom_necklace.jpg]

Of course, there are other options as well...

[Image: 6b04cd3024166a2f_Molecule.preview.jpg]

[Image: D4F3E594.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2014, 07:39 AM
(31-03-2014 06:55 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I wore a Atom necklace for some time and started getting treated like shit a certain places, like restaurants and some bars, even the grocery store. So that had to stop, which really pisses me off, considering the people that wear religious shit around their necks dont get that treatment.

How did they treat you poorly? Just snide remarks about science/atheism, or was it just more of a broader mood change?

(31-03-2014 07:09 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Are some people so anti-science? Don't they see that so many things they take for granted have come from science?

They aren't anti-science; they're anti-anything-that-goes-against-the-Bible. A lot of them are very pro-science within certain fields. For example: there is no shortage of competent mechanical engineers who seriously believe that Jesus' father created the universe 6,000 years ago. So, they're cool with microwaves, cars, nuclear bombs, and computers, but they'll completely lose their shit if you bring up radiometric dating, evolution, the fossil record, or retroviral DNA insertions.

So far as they can tell, those last things aren't "science", but rather a liberal atheist conspiracy to kill God.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post