Identifying an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 08:02 AM
RE: Identifying an Atheist
(31-03-2014 07:39 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 06:55 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I wore a Atom necklace for some time and started getting treated like shit a certain places, like restaurants and some bars, even the grocery store. So that had to stop, which really pisses me off, considering the people that wear religious shit around their necks dont get that treatment.

How did they treat you poorly? Just snide remarks about science/atheism, or was it just more of a broader mood change?

Things like a waitress just kind of throwing the food in front of me, never asking if I need anything else, etc. but all the while being super friendly to the rest of the tables.

Its more the general attitude and terse behavior towards me, even while I'm being very polite and friendly to them.

Tho these same people after forgetting about the necklace a few months later, treat me normally.

It was a little observational study I set upon, and its not in my head, or about the way I look.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2014, 08:11 AM
I have this friend that no matter what you tell him his response is always "I know."
It could be something he couldn't know and he still says it.
Sometimes I just make shit up. He still says that he knows.
Just sayin....
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
31-03-2014, 08:11 AM
(31-03-2014 02:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  Just mention the love of Jesus and watch closely for the quickly-suppressed eye-roll of the atheist-inna-closet Wink Like, it's *really* hard not to roll your eyes if the message is vacuous enough.

you have no idea how hard it is!! living in the bible belt, I swear I've strained eye muscles just trying to stop from rolling my eyes.... GAH!!! it's killing me!! Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
31-03-2014, 08:17 AM
(31-03-2014 07:39 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  They aren't anti-science; they're anti-anything-that-goes-against-the-Bible. A lot of them are very pro-science within certain fields. For example: there is no shortage of competent mechanical engineers who seriously believe that Jesus' father created the universe 6,000 years ago. So, they're cool with microwaves, cars, nuclear bombs, and computers, but they'll completely lose their shit if you bring up radiometric dating, evolution, the fossil record, or retroviral DNA insertions.

So far as they can tell, those last things aren't "science", but rather a liberal atheist conspiracy to kill God.

You just described my in-laws to a "T" exact, right on the money. FIL was/is a mechanical engineer. They are YEC/AIG all the way. Truly boggles my mind.

31-03-2014, 08:20 AM
(31-03-2014 07:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 07:09 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I never realised that atom necklaces existed, yet alone symbolised anything.

If I had seen one I would have just assumed the person was interested in the natural sciences. Are some people so anti-science? Don't they see that so many things they take for granted have come from science?

Of the the more recognizable symbols for atheism is a modified Bohr model of an atom with an A in the center. A more basic design might just show appreciation of science or general geekiness. But the one with an A in the center is a dead giveaway.

[Image: P-AANecklaceS.png]

[Image: ef57_bohr_model_atom_necklace.jpg]

Of course, there are other options as well...

[Image: 6b04cd3024166a2f_Molecule.preview.jpg]

[Image: D4F3E594.jpg]

I love that 2nd one! did you just google those, or do you know of a particular website? pretty, pretty, pretty.... I love bling!

31-03-2014, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 08:27 AM by cjlr.)
(31-03-2014 07:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Of the the more recognizable symbols for atheism is a modified Bohr model of an atom with an A in the center. A more basic design might just show appreciation of science or general geekiness. But the one with an A in the center is a dead giveaway.

[Image: P-AANecklaceS.png]

See, I know that the atheists invented that one first, but to me, that will only ever represent one of Ontario's finest microbreweries:
[Image: nickelbrooklogo.jpg]

I mean, three valence electroncs? It's nickel, after all...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
31-03-2014, 08:24 AM
(31-03-2014 08:20 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I love that 2nd one! did you just google those, or do you know of a particular website? pretty, pretty, pretty.... I love bling!

I think that EK and I got our pics from Google images, however there is a website for some of this stuf here;

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/index.html

I got all my stuff there, good people too.

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
31-03-2014, 08:59 AM
If I wear this T-shirt when visiting America should I expect the same kind of treatment as if I was wearing an atom necklace?

[Image: BJFw4SiCYAAtG7z.jpg]

I was planning on wearing it when I next present at a conference but I don't think I will make the deadline this year and next year the conference will be in America.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
31-03-2014, 09:15 AM
(31-03-2014 08:59 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If I wear this T-shirt when visiting America should I expect the same kind of treatment as if I was wearing an atom necklace?

I was planning on wearing it when I next present at a conference but I don't think I will make the deadline this year and next year the conference will be in America.

It really depends on what city you are in, and what crowd you are with. But most likely wont be a problem.

31-03-2014, 09:16 AM
(31-03-2014 08:59 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If I wear this T-shirt when visiting America should I expect the same kind of treatment as if I was wearing an atom necklace?

Hmm, I dont know how to respond to that shirt. I doubt you'll get the same reation/treatment, that you would with the A-atom.

Probably wont be recieved well by animal lovers, I would suspect.

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post