Identifying an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 09:26 AM
RE: Identifying an Atheist
I have some atheist T-shirts but I don't wear them often. I used to have some bumper stickers on my car that were atheist themed; I don't have any on my car now.

My way of moving through the real world is to avoid confrontation...no, actually it is to avoid interaction that is beyond basic pleasantries. I am just not a social person.

I get enough aghast looks over my tattoos although none of them have any controversial meaning behind them. I don't pay much attention because that never seems to lead to any verbal encounter. But I know where I am and in the south, in America, anything seen as anti-religion is bound to cause a stir.

If I am detected as Atheist it is more likely because I don't join in when prayers are said, don't bow my head, don't add an amen, and I don't generally add to conversations that involve godspeak. I just give what I hope is a mental eyeroll and remove myself when I can.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
31-03-2014, 09:49 AM
"I have a lack of belief in a god." Atheist identified.

I think it's a load of rubbish what you friend said about "the way you act". How could you possibly know someone's beliefs, or lack of, from their actions? If anything it is what you don't do that would be a sign.

Also, what is so exciting about being an atheist? Do you go around screaming to your friends
"Hey guys, I don't like eggs!"
"Really? Oh my god me neither! Isn't this so exciting!?"
31-03-2014, 09:51 AM
(31-03-2014 08:02 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Things like a waitress just kind of throwing the food in front of me, never asking if I need anything else, etc. but all the while being super friendly to the rest of the tables.

Its more the general attitude and terse behavior towards me, even while I'm being very polite and friendly to them.

Tho these same people after forgetting about the necklace a few months later, treat me normally.

Wow. What assholes.

(31-03-2014 08:17 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  You just described my in-laws to a "T" exact, right on the money. FIL was/is a mechanical engineer. They are YEC/AIG all the way. Truly boggles my mind.

I guess statistically speaking, mechanical engineers tend to be much more likely to be creationists than other people with degrees in one of the sciences.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
31-03-2014, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 02:45 PM by Full Circle.)
(31-03-2014 09:26 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If I am detected as Atheist it is more likely because I don't join in when prayers are said, don't bow my head, don't add an amen, and I don't generally add to conversations that involve godspeak. I just give what I hope is a mental eyeroll and remove myself when I can.

I think Anjie nails it here. I can add that I never say "bless you" after a sneeze and roll my eyes when they claim to be blessed.

*Edited to save face and keep from being pummeled Blush

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-03-2014, 12:13 PM
I always say "bless you" when someone sneezes, it means nothing religious to me and is kind of a habit. Blush

Maybe I should say "Gesundheit" more often...... but ya know I live in the south... hmm Consider

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
31-03-2014, 12:46 PM
My wife recently outed me to my niece and her boyfriend (atheist), and she said that she was not surprised. Within my family I wear my lack of belief pretty close to the vest, so I was a little surprised that she wasn't. Perhaps she just pays attention to what I "Like" on FaceBook, or that I never talk about church or religion. Maybe she just assumed because of the Darwin fish on the back of my car.
That's the only real advertising I do. And technically, it is just showing support for evolution over creationism. Religious overtones are inferred ( and usually accurate).
When I first put the Darwin fish on the car, my wife was afraid that it might be vandalized or otherwise targeted. Since we live in a pretty liberal city (tats, piercings, and other facial adornments are common), I wasn't too worried. As anticipated, there have been no issues.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
31-03-2014, 12:51 PM
(31-03-2014 11:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 09:26 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If I am detected as Atheist it is more likely because I don't join in when prayers are said, don't bow my head, don't add an amen, and I don't generally add to conversations that involve godspeak. I just give what I hope is a mental eyeroll and remove myself when I can.

I think Mathilda nails it here. I can add that I never say "bless you" after a sneeze and roll my eyes when they claim to be blessed.

Mathilda? Did I repeat what she said somewhere? Not that that would be a bad thing, but maybe I need to read posts more clearly and not behave like an echo.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
31-03-2014, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 01:08 PM by wazzel.)
(31-03-2014 09:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 08:17 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  You just described my in-laws to a "T" exact, right on the money. FIL was/is a mechanical engineer. They are YEC/AIG all the way. Truly boggles my mind.

I guess statistically speaking, mechanical engineers tend to be much more likely to be creationists than other people with degrees in one of the sciences.

Excuse me? How do ME's get that tag?
31-03-2014, 01:08 PM
(31-03-2014 11:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

I think Mathilda nails it here. I can add that I never say "bless you" after a sneeze and roll my eyes when they claim to be blessed.

I am surprised I have not been questioned. I do not join in for prayers, do not make the sign of the cross before prayer I am not joining (I'm around lots of catholics), never say bless-you, etc. My general responce to "what did you give up for lent" is along the lines of "I'm no quitter" or "I gave up on lent years ago". When I do attend church with the wife I do not participate other than being in the proper position. I do bow my head when others are praying. It does sem like the respectful thing to do since most of the times I am at some school function with my kids. Yes they go to catholic school.
31-03-2014, 01:22 PM
(31-03-2014 12:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 11:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think Mathilda nails it here. I can add that I never say "bless you" after a sneeze and roll my eyes when they claim to be blessed.

Mathilda? Did I repeat what she said somewhere? Not that that would be a bad thing, but maybe I need to read posts more clearly and not behave like an echo.

I think Full Circle meant to say your name instead. I had previously posted on the thread.