Identifying an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 05:57 PM
RE: Identifying an Atheist
(31-03-2014 02:23 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Some people can't tell though. I told this guy at work that I don't drink alcohol at all and his first reaction was,"You must be a church boy!" It kinda pissed me off when he said that. But instead I told him I wasn't a Christian. I think he knows now.

He probably thinks you're a muslim!

Thumbsup

EDIT: Damnit! My bad. Robby beat me to that one. Sorry Robby.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2014, 07:42 PM
I am often surprised by very intelligent people who turn out to be believers.

It just never makes sense to me - how can anyone with even plain common sense believe?

My atheist recognition totally fails.

Then again, in real life I only know one other atheist...

I should likely go the the local group some time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-03-2014, 07:52 PM
I have to say that there's often a nuanced "churchiness" in everything from clothes to micro-expressions, and it will vary from area to area. I think a lot of it is because churches are often so localized and members are so closely associated that they subconsciously start to resemble each other in ways that you can't even put your finger on. So the detection wouldn't always be what you're doing so much as a certain "something" that is different. Besides that "something," there's often an acceptance of supernatural things. You'd be surprised at how very subtly a supernatural idea can make itself present in a conversation. You wouldn't necessarily need to have a critical response to any of it to be noticed, so much as a lack of response or lack of affirming supernatural things. If this goes on for long enough, some people's "radar" will start going off, even though they will often not saying anything outright about it, but they may start dropping subtle "hints" trying to feel you out a little more.
[+] 3 users Like Charis's post
31-03-2014, 07:58 PM
(31-03-2014 07:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am often surprised by very intelligent people who turn out to be believers.

It just never makes sense to me - how can anyone with even plain common sense believe?

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing.

Or "non-overlapping magisteria", to give it a dressier name.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
31-03-2014, 08:21 PM
They got a certain smell to them. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-04-2014, 01:08 AM
(31-03-2014 06:22 AM)proplayer44 Wrote:  Ya he no longer thinks you are a christian. Now he thinks you are an alcoholic. Smile I'm only making this joke if you are not ok, if you are just pretend I wrote nothing.

Actually I think he doesn't believe in God either, but I'm not sure. Haha ironically I think he's an alcoholic himself. But anyways, I also made sure to tell him that I haven't been to church in a long time.
01-04-2014, 05:48 AM
(31-03-2014 05:57 PM)DLJ Wrote:  He probably thinks you're a muslim!

Thumbsup

EDIT: Damnit! My bad. Robby beat me to that one. Sorry Robby.

It happens. It's not like I read every post in a seven-page thread before responding. Big Grin

(31-03-2014 07:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am often surprised by very intelligent people who turn out to be believers.

My atheist recognition totally fails.

Yeah, given where I live, most people are Christian. So, a lot of the intelligent people I know are Christian. What's more, I know more than one intelligent fundamentalist, and I work with a very intelligent Mormon.

As cjlr said, "cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing".

(31-03-2014 07:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  Then again, in real life I only know one other atheist...

I should likely go the the local group some time.

I'm lucky in that regard. Almost everyone I hang out with outside of my immediate family is atheist. I used to be disappointed that they didn't believe when I still did. Now, they're like a support group.
01-04-2014, 06:11 AM
I would like to meet other atheists IRL. In fact I happen to know that there is a very large and thriving atheist group in Tulsa. The problem is that I suffer from crippling shyness and am too scared to go. They're probably super duper scary!Confused
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
01-04-2014, 06:47 AM
(01-04-2014 06:11 AM)natachan Wrote:  I would like to meet other atheists IRL. In fact I happen to know that there is a very large and thriving atheist group in Tulsa. The problem is that I suffer from crippling shyness and am too scared to go. They're probably super duper scary!Confused

See if they have a facebook group, or other online forum. The local one here does....in fact, I found it thru a girl from AF. Meet them online and get to know them some before meeting in person.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
01-04-2014, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 09:51 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
I haven’t read everyone’s responses yet, so I don’t know if anyone will have already said the same thing as me, but…

I think it’s easier for an atheist to pick out another atheist. I don’t think you can “know” know, unless they say it out right, but you can have varying degrees of sureness and likelihood.

I know for myself, I have a small handful of friends who are atheist, very small. Two of them I grew up with since elementary school, so there was no figuring out. But the few others I could figure out by the comments they would make. It’s a lot in the way they make comments about the nature of what evidence and proof is.

A lot of religious people tend toward accepting as evidence of their beliefs, that which confirms their beliefs, even if the conversation has nothing to do with religion. It could be about GMOs, or vaccines, or someone asking “what’s your sign” and their response to such a question. You can read it in how they respond to these things.

In those cases, I tend to toss out safe, quasi-religious topics and mix them into the conversation. Safe because they aren’t too strongly directly related to anyone’s particular religious belief, such as belief in ghosts, or some softball like that.

I mean, it has to fit the conversation, so you can’t always randomly fit something in, but just to use the ghosts example, because I’ve used it before. What happens is they either explain how and why they believe ghosts exist, and explain aspects of the afterlife in the process, and think about seeing their me’ma again after they die, or they explain how that makes no scientific sense, and there is no justification in believing in anything for which there is no evidence for. In these conversations you can narrow in on concepts more closely related to religious context, and pretty much figure them out.

I’ve had friends who got very close to saying something negative about religion, then cut themselves off, and began to apologize for saying something out of line. To which I simply say, “Believe me, I’m the last one you need to worry about saying those things to. Religion is ridiculous”. After a brief conversation in which they realize I’m not surprised they are an atheist, they ask me, “How could you tell”? And I just say “I can tell, it's pretty obvious”.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post