Idiotic Lefties Are Responsible for the Trump Effect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2017, 05:09 PM
RE: Idiotic Lefties Are Responsible for the Trump Effect
(24-06-2017 12:50 PM)SYZ Wrote:  As an Aussie, all I seem to read about is that the majority of Americans dislike the Electoral College system—which is not, apparently, a true indicator of what the electorate wants.

Would it be an impossible ask constitutionally to get the 250-year-old College system disbanded in order to bring US voting into the 21st century? And if so, how would it be achieved assuming a necessary bipartisan agreement? Would there need to be a plebiscite?

In the US, a candidate (theoretically) wins an election by gaining a plurality, or more votes than the other candidate. Clinton—with nearly 3 million more primary votes than Trump—lost the election solely because of the absurd College system, which in fact destroys any logical notion of electoral "plurality".

Why not firstly try a limited-level *preferential system of voting in order to encourage more—or any—independent or minor party candidates at Federal level? Or anything to improve the standards of hypercritical presidential voting and avoid bankrupt TV reality show hosts becoming POTUS—rather than politically-qualified former Secretaries of state.

* Employed when no one candidate or party wins outright, based on first preference votes. It means a citizen's vote can still be counted, even if their first choice of candidate is eliminated due to a lack of votes.

It has a lot of detractors, and like any system, it has it's pro's and cons. The biggest, and most obvious pro is that it was sufficiently friendly, lets say, to less populous states. That was a condition for those states to join the USA. It worked precisely as intended to elect Trump, as it did with other elections in which the minority popular vote won. To undue our current system would almost certainly require states to willingly give up their influence in exchange for getting ruled by a system they don't agree with. That's the simple answer, though a more complicated and detailed answer may involve a condition where enough states could force it to happen. So, in theory it could happen, but in practical terms it's very unlikely without a civil revolt or war, and even that is no guarantee. Another pro of the current system is that it prevents subculture A from dominating subculture B, so the argument goes. It's certainly not without it's purpose, the framers basically did what they had to do to make it happen. Bear in mind, America was originally designed to be something more like the modern EU. We attempted our own 'Brexit' in the 1850's. It didn't go very well, and forever changed the the way we think of our country, in some ways for the better, and in some ways for the worse. In any event, I'm an advocate of run-off voting/plurality voting, but I'm not holding my breath. I know it's a pipe-dream. A bipartisan agreement in DC would not be sufficient to make it happen IMO.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
25-06-2017, 04:09 AM
I've been thinking about what I've said concerning the Witcher specifically in this thread. I'm not that excited to restart the debate as it seems to have become rather intense since I last commented, just wanted to say to Szuchow, sorry that you got cast as the villain due to my previous post. It was not my intention.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-06-2017, 04:23 AM
(25-06-2017 04:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  I've been thinking about what I've said concerning the Witcher specifically in this thread. I'm not that excited to restart the debate as it seems to have become rather intense since I last commented, just wanted to say to Szuchow, sorry that you got cast as the villain due to my previous post. It was not my intention.

You have nothing to apologize for - we just don't agree on the question of diversity in regard to Witcher.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post