If Christans have to make excuses for the bible, how can they be true followers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2016, 01:14 PM
If Christans have to make excuses for the bible, how can they be true followers?
Luke 14:26 of the KJV says that we have to hate our family, but Christians say that's a mistranslation and it's supposed to mean love less.

Job 39:9-12 of the KJV says that unicorns exists, but Christians say that's a mistranslation and it's supposed to mean oxen.

Revelation 22:14-15 of the KJV says that dogs don't go to heaven, but Christians say that the dogs are homosexuals.

If there's all these mistranslations that has to be "interpreted" and you still think the bible is a perfect book, how does that make sense?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2016, 01:49 PM
RE: If Christans have to make excuses for the bible, how can they be true followers?
Bible is perfect as long as it suit particular believer. If it don't suit then it needs to be interpreted. Simple as that.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
29-04-2016, 02:09 PM
RE: If Christans have to make excuses for the bible, how can they be true followers?
Are you making a new thread every time a thought pops into your head?
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
29-04-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm only 65, so there's still time for me to meet a Christian. Until then I'll have to get by with the people who are Christians 1/168th of the week.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Every Christian makes their own personal version of Christianity.

Every Christian thinks that only their version of Christianity is the Truth.

It's impossible for all of them to be right.

It is possible that all of them are wrong. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
04-05-2016, 12:29 PM
(29-04-2016 02:09 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Are you making a new thread every time a thought pops into your head?

Total posts: 16
New Threads: 12

Batting average: .750 Ohmy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-05-2016, 08:30 PM
(29-04-2016 01:14 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  Luke 14:26 of the KJV says that we have to hate our family, but Christians say that's a mistranslation and it's supposed to mean love less.

Job 39:9-12 of the KJV says that unicorns exists, but Christians say that's a mistranslation and it's supposed to mean oxen.

Revelation 22:14-15 of the KJV says that dogs don't go to heaven, but Christians say that the dogs are homosexuals.

If there's all these mistranslations that has to be "interpreted" and you still think the bible is a perfect book, how does that make sense?
there is no claim in the Bible that it is perfect.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
05-05-2016, 09:34 PM
(05-05-2016 08:30 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 01:14 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  Luke 14:26 of the KJV says that we have to hate our family, but Christians say that's a mistranslation and it's supposed to mean love less.

there is no claim in the Bible that it is perfect.

However, if scripture is god breathed like it says in 2 Timothy, is it really that much of a stretch?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
05-05-2016, 09:42 PM
(29-04-2016 01:14 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  Job 39:9-12 of the KJV says that unicorns exists, but Christians say that's a mistranslation and it's supposed to mean oxen.

This one never gives me much pause TBH. It is likely a rhino that they could have been referring to anyway. There is a one-horned rhino that lived in India. The Romans constantly were bringing in exotic animals and it seems reasonable to me that the people in the area could have seen one in caravans or whatnot. Also the name for that rhino is Rhinoceros unicornis so is it really that much of a stretch? Personally, I would never use that point because if you get to a theist who knows this and also is aware of the concept of the unicorn that we all have, you may look kind of silly. I stick with the talking animals, flying charriots, and other outlandish claims which are much less ambiguous.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
05-05-2016, 11:13 PM
(05-05-2016 09:34 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 08:30 PM)Alla Wrote:  there is no claim in the Bible that it is perfect.

However, if scripture is god breathed like it says in 2 Timothy, is it really that much of a stretch?

He didn't talk about the Bible. The Bible didn't even exist at that time yet.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED