If Christians are supposed to give everything they have away...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2016, 02:13 PM
If Christians are supposed to give everything they have away...
If Christians are supposed to give everything they have away, does this mean the atheists get the big bucks and become millionaires?

According to Luke 14:33, you have to in order to be a Christian. Maybe that's how Richard Dawkins got his wealth

Looks like I'm getting a new house and a new car.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2016, 03:53 PM
RE: If Christians are supposed to give everything they have away...
(30-04-2016 02:13 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  If Christians are supposed to give everything they have away, does this mean the atheists get the big bucks and become millionaires?

According to Luke 14:33, you have to in order to be a Christian. Maybe that's how Richard Dawkins got his wealth

I guess you haven't listened to Creflo Dollar

Oh crap!
30-04-2016, 05:13 PM
(30-04-2016 02:13 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  If Christians are supposed to give everything they have away, does this mean the atheists get the big bucks and become millionaires?

In your personal experience, do Christians give all of their money away? I have not witnessed this, and as much as I'm opposed to Christian theology, I have to call a spade a spade. I don't know any Christians who give all of their money away, and yet, I have noted that there are (some) very intelligent Christians who pour over the bible, and have been doing so for 2,000 years. For whatever reason, they don't feel that the scriptures call for them to give all of their money away.

Perhaps you're reading too far into their book.
30-04-2016, 05:32 PM
There are a lot of things Christians are supposed to do that they don't do. One thing Jesus said that I always end up bringing up in a debate was when he said not to use "vain repetitions" when you pray and not to pray in public in a synagogue or street corners, I think we can all agree that Christians pray in church and even preach on the streets in direct contradiction of what Jesus said in Matthew 6:5-15.

Now growing up as a Catholic I knew the Lord's Prayer, the Oh Father and the Hail Mary and repeated these prayers almost every night before bed. Priests even tell their congregants to repeat certain prayers in order to be cleansed of sins, what? So they need to do something that Jesus said specifically not to do in order to please him? Perhaps it's a game for them, let's see how much we can piss Jesus off today. I could go on and on forever about all the things Christians are supposed to do including not judging their fellow man and turning the other cheek, yeah try to tell any hard core Christian Republican to just let it go after we get attacked by another country, that should go over well after they pick up their plans to carpet bomb civilians.

I actually wonder about the giving away all your money and possessions thing, are you supposed to be homeless and starve? Even if you work a full time job just take your check and give it away? It's a lot to ask but definitely give your money to the church, don't worry it won't be used to buy more fancy gold crosses and statues, it will be given to feed the homeless...but right after we get some more stained glass windows, that's more important.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
30-04-2016, 06:13 PM
It happens.

RARELY.

Very, very, very rarely.

A lot of monks and nuns could claim to have done this. Also, a few itinerant preachers.

But yeah, either most of them don't take the passage seriously or they interpret it in a creative manner.
30-04-2016, 06:20 PM
It's odd, isn't it? This life is seen as an infinitesimal blip of time when compared to the (alleged) eternity to come. One would think that if you truly believed it, you would act as if it were so. Why not sell all your Earthly goods and commit yourself utterly to evangelism or dedicate yourself to studying your scriptures full-time? Why waste your precious time on the comparative trivia of school, career and family? Eternity hangs in the balance!

If you really believe that people who don't believe the right doctrine are headed to the unending torment of Hell, wouldn't you have to do everything possible to save as many people as possible? What if the one night you decided to stay home was the night you could have convinced *one more* person to accept your faith? What's one more night of labor when eternal consequences loom?

If they truly believe in this eternity, they sure don't act like it.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
30-04-2016, 08:46 PM

When Jesus said this He didn't mean that His disciple have to be homeless people without stuff.
He meant this: If there are times when we have to give up everything including our own life for God's sake and we are NOT READY to do this then we can NOT be His disciples.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
30-04-2016, 08:50 PM
(30-04-2016 08:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  ......................................

When Jesus said this He didn't mean that His disciple have to be homeless people without stuff.
He meant this: If there are times when we have to give up everything including our own life for God's sake and we are NOT READY to do this then we can NOT be His disciples.

He is talking about people thinking of following Chuck Norris . If you aren't a legit devotee Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you to oblivion.Yes

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
30-04-2016, 09:01 PM
(30-04-2016 08:50 PM)Leo Wrote:  

He is talking about people thinking of following Chuck Norris . If you aren't a legit devotee Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you to oblivion.Yes
And you are the only person in the whole universe who knows this secret.
But thanks for sharing this, any way Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
01-05-2016, 12:48 AM

In all the translations that I can find of this passage, none of them say one must be ready at some time to give up everything. They all say whoever has not already done this is not his disciple. why can we never just read what the Bible says plainly? If Jesus really meant what you say then why didn't he say that?

Human life requires values. This is a fact independent of anyone's feeling, wishes, likes, prayers, demands or preferences. A doctrine that says give up all you own including your life is not a doctrine of life but death, flat and simple.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post