If Extraterrestrial Contact Occured

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
01-12-2014, 07:43 PM
If Extraterrestrial Contact Occured
This is a hypothetical exercise. It is not intended to demonstrate anything other than idle chitter chatter. It does not matter if you believe in their existence or not.

If extraterrestrials made contact with the human race:

1. How do you think it would happen?
2. What would be your initial thoughts?
3. What would be your hopes from such a contact?

Go!

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 07:50 PM
RE: If Extraterrestrial Contact Occured
The religious people would say it was God or God sent them and the aliens would say "wtf are they talking about?"

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
01-12-2014, 07:54 PM
(01-12-2014 07:50 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  The religious people would say it was God or God sent them and the aliens would say "wtf are they talking about?"

Oh that is a foregone conclusion. The religious nuts would then find some ambiguous bible verse to point out how it was all prophesied.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
01-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I think initial contact would NOT be from aircraft or some other vehicle. Since radio waves and the like can travel much faster, I envision a Carl Sagan Contact kinda deal. My initial thought would be, "Finally." And then I would think it would be a huge blow to religiosity. My hope would be it was merely a fact-finding communication, but since we are looking to explore other worlds to save our asses, I imagine they'd be doing the same, so there might be trepidation.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
01-12-2014, 07:56 PM
1. They would have to come here, we don't yet have a way to travel the distances required.
2. I would be tentetive. Are they friends or foes?
3. The hopes of technological advancement alone would be awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
01-12-2014, 08:23 PM
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  1. How do you think it would happen?

1. I think WillHopp's right and a first contact senario would probably be comunicative rather than some kind of visitation.

If some kind of FTL physics cheat exists (and that's a big IF) they might drop some kinda relay station rather than a modulated EM wave. Takes less time for a reply, has less of a risk of being missed because it can repeat the message and it can show visual cues rather than just transmitting radio waves.

2. After peeking out from under the bed:
-So they haven't killed us yet?
-Are they sexy?

3. I'd want it to result in some kind of Sector General style federation of species: Induction into an intersteller government as equals, the sharing of tech (through trade or whatever) that helps solve the fuckton of problems we have here, my own spaceship, an associated super computer and a holodeck. (And a mop and bucket.)

None of that's going to happen. I'd be estatically happy if as many of us (aliens included) survived the experience without dying, falling into an unrecoverable economic spiral or catching space chlamydia.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
01-12-2014, 08:25 PM
1)
If they actively attempted to communicate with us in hopes that we'd respond, then our radio signals from the past will have hit them long before they came into range for us to have a conversation in anything resembling "real time" (without having to wait years between each other's responses). That being said, after they watched Independence Day, I'd feel they'd contact us from a safe distance! Undecided *Note: a safe distance (for them) could include the air space 100 feet above the Pentagon* Confused

2)
If you don't plan on staying, take me with you, or take our religious with you, when you leave!

3)
That they'd provide us with technological answers to our food, & energy, supply problems with the stipulation that every human being (and some of the other more intelligent non-sentient species native to Earth) gets to benefit from that technology equally, and free of charge!

01-12-2014, 08:28 PM
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  This is a hypothetical exercise. It is not intended to demonstrate anything other than idle chitter chatter. It does not matter if you believe in their existence or not.

Go!

We would be totally fucked.
Our best hope for long term survival is to walk very very softly and carry the biggest frikken stick we can.

I have to assume that any race we encounter is going to be able to kick our ass.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
01-12-2014, 08:28 PM
They already did. They came to you. The ball is in your hands.
No pressure there. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-12-2014, 08:45 PM
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  This is a hypothetical exercise. It is not intended to demonstrate anything other than idle chitter chatter. It does not matter if you believe in their existence or not.

Go!

1. We'd be fucked.

2. "Well. We're fucked."

3. No hope; because a it'd be like the Conquistadors all over again. Just with aliens.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.