If Extraterrestrial Contact Occured

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
01-12-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: If Extraterrestrial Contact Occured
(01-12-2014 09:31 PM)Free Wrote:  Despite being alien I suspect that they will still need to consume and excrete like all known life forms.

Um.. yeah... so they can simply throw it away?

They are the ones in a space ship after all.

(01-12-2014 09:31 PM)Free Wrote:  This planet would best enable that process.

Blink

What?

Why?

Or are you just playing with me here?

Much cheers to all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 09:50 PM
(01-12-2014 09:40 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 09:31 PM)Free Wrote:  Despite being alien I suspect that they will still need to consume and excrete like all known life forms.

Um.. yeah... so they can simply throw it away?

They are the ones in a space ship after all.

(01-12-2014 09:31 PM)Free Wrote:  This planet would best enable that process.

Blink

What?

Why?

Or are you just playing with me here?

Much cheers to all.

I don't see them as "raping the planet for its resources."

They would be a "need based" society, not prone to greed or gluttony. It would not be any kind of alien invasion of earth.

The whole thing would just be very mundane.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
01-12-2014, 09:56 PM
(01-12-2014 09:50 PM)Free Wrote:  I don't see them as "raping the planet for its resources."

Um.. I've never used the word 'raping' Also, sorry if you have and I missed it.

I posted 'Strip mining'... a different thing.

(01-12-2014 09:50 PM)Free Wrote:  They would be a "need based" society, not prone to greed or gluttony. It would not be any kind of alien invasion of earth.

Well... yeah, if they've come here then it must be for a reason. Even if said reason is so inscrutable that we her on Earth just shake our heads and go 'WTF?' at their actions. What ever they may be.

(01-12-2014 09:50 PM)Free Wrote:  The whole thing would just be very mundane.

Well... maybe to them(It?) but I sure as Sherlock doubt it would be mundane to us....

Still, you've not replied to why you think Earth is so special of all the other planets in this system..... Consider

Again, other than to us, because, y'kno, we happen to like living here.....

Much cheers to all.
01-12-2014, 10:02 PM
(01-12-2014 09:56 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 09:50 PM)Free Wrote:  I don't see them as "raping the planet for its resources."

Um.. I've never used the word 'raping' Also, sorry if you have and I missed it.

I posted 'Strip mining'... a different thing.

(01-12-2014 09:50 PM)Free Wrote:  They would be a "need based" society, not prone to greed or gluttony. It would not be any kind of alien invasion of earth.

Well... yeah, if they've come here then it must be for a reason. Even if said reason is so inscrutable that we her on Earth just shake our heads and go 'WTF?' at their actions. What ever they may be.

(01-12-2014 09:50 PM)Free Wrote:  The whole thing would just be very mundane.

Well... maybe to them(It?) but I sure as Sherlock doubt it would be mundane to us....

Still, you've not replied to why you think Earth is so special of all the other planets in this system..... Consider

Again, other than to us, because, y'kno, we happen to like living here.....

Much cheers to all.

The earth is special because, like I said, the aliens would need to consume and excrete physically, and this planet has the resources to allow them to do that. None of the other planets are known to support life.

Life supports life.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
01-12-2014, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 10:08 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  This is a hypothetical exercise. It is not intended to demonstrate anything other than idle chitter chatter. It does not matter if you believe in their existence or not.

If extraterrestrials made contact with the human race:

1. How do you think it would happen?
2. What would be your initial thoughts?
3. What would be your hopes from such a contact?

Go!

1.) Aggressive colonization.
2.) "I'm gonna get my gun!"
3.) That I was wrong.

As you can tell....I'm an optimist Thumbsup

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
01-12-2014, 10:36 PM
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  1. How do you think it would happen?

Possibly via some mathematical equation. I doubt they would have the anatomy needed to understand and produce our language.

Quote:2. What would be your initial thoughts?

A mix of awe and fear. We naturally fear the things we don't understand. Despite this, I would like to think that a species intelligent enough to warp space-time to travel trillions of miles to make contact with us would have their shit together. I doubt they would be war mongers.

Quote:3. What would be your hopes from such a contact?

That I get to be the first person to fuck a martian ... No, actually, I hope that Earth would be ushered into some galactic community peopled by numerous planets. This would lead to leaps in technology and more knowledge about our universe.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2014, 10:53 PM
(01-12-2014 10:02 PM)Free Wrote:  The earth is special because, like I said, the aliens would need to consume and excrete physically, and this planet has the resources to allow them to do that. None of the other planets are known to support life.

Nope, still not following you here.

They are arriving in a spaceship. Not a dug out canoe.

They already have all their own life support gear etc with them. Again, just because our planet supports us does NOT mean that it will/might support them.

Anything they might possibly need to consume the basic materials they can much more easily get ANY WHERE else in the system because 'gravity'.

Air? Break water from any of the moons that have it.
Materials? Again, mine it from any of the moons that have it.
Soil? This they'd actually have to make themselves, because out dirt is NOT going to be in any way, shape or form coming u with the same critters/microbes/what have you to give the same blend of nutrients etc to farm with. So, again, they pretty much have to start with bare rock and work it into loam themselves.

Heck... if their planet of origin has a higher metal content per cubic space then our soil is going to be horribly deficient in things they know they need and which yet we would hate/loath.

(01-12-2014 10:02 PM)Free Wrote:  Life supports life.

Um... yes... ? But the point is the things we are talking about did not originate her. Did not evolve here. Until they get here they have possibly only a basic knowledge of how things actually are here. not to miss the point that 'Here' will be different, hence 'alien', in regards to there.

Other wise... what you seem to be proposing is that the aliens will just be a bunch of Star Trek mooks who have so little difference between us and them then folks will be popping out mixed species babies in no time... ? Consider

Life may support life., but alien life may NOT be supported by other different alien life.

I hope my points are clear and understandable?

Much cheers to all.
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
01-12-2014, 11:17 PM
I really don't think they would be so foreign to us that we would be incapable of communicating with each other.

We may be dealing with different planets with different gravity and ratios of air, but we see differences on just our planet and how species adapt.
Chemistry/physics/electromagnetic spectrum applies whether you're in this solar system or another.

Whether they communicate through light, movement, or sound, the more advanced life form will be more than capable of figuring out a method of communication. If they are not more intelligent, then their species perhaps developed more advanced technology by being older and more peaceful.

1. How do I think it would happen? Through radio waves or some other form of electronic communication. Our species is quite violent. Hahaha - alien charades. It's totally going down like that with the first face to face contact.

2. What would be your initial thoughts? Are they looking to colonize, eat us, trade, or are they just curious?

3. What would be your hopes from such a contact? That they'd be peaceful and just want to trade. And I'd hope we would have a democrat in the whitehouse and not another George Bush, whether the aliens landed in the Sahara or Iowa are Siberia. Otherwise, they'd be arrested, studied, at least one would be executed and dissected. And then earth's inhabitants would be fucked.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
01-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Maybe the electronic communication will be data we interpret to be photos of alien duck face selfies. Laugh out load

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
01-12-2014, 11:39 PM
(01-12-2014 11:17 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I really don't think they would be so foreign to us that we would be incapable of communicating with each other.

If they are 500 pound versions of this?

http://www.livescience.com/48340-goliath...ntist.html

Then you wont hear any communication over the screams of "NOPE,NOPE,NOPE,NOPE....." coming from pretty much every human on the planet! Tongue

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post