If Extraterrestrial Contact Occured

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
02-12-2014, 12:36 AM
RE: If Extraterrestrial Contact Occured
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  This is a hypothetical exercise. It is not intended to demonstrate anything other than idle chitter chatter. It does not matter if you believe in their existence or not.

If extraterrestrials made contact with the human race:

1. How do you think it would happen?

They'd get a facebook page like everybody else. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-12-2014, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 01:27 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  1. How do you think it would happen?

[Image: closeencounters_toppage.jpg]

(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  2. What would be your initial thoughts?

[Image: Independence-Day-560x330-MSDINDA_FE014_H.jpg]

(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  3. What would be your hopes from such a contact?

[Image: tumblr_m6793y0M1t1rp7tz6o1_1280.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-12-2014, 01:06 AM
If it was anything more than a small number of exploratory drone like ships I would think their arrival would be catastrophic for Humans at least.

Who knows if we would be able to communicate to these species. We could be seen as a remedial in layers of intelligence similar to how some animals are seen by people. So unless it's something small to test how we would react, kinda showing some hesitation in their action, I wouldn't think it's an open presentation.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-12-2014, 04:55 AM
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  If extraterrestrials made contact with the human race:

If it was noticeable at all it would be a Very Bad Thing. It all depends on why contact has occurred.

We don't have any particularly useful resources. Chemically our planet is unexciting and less useful than most. Biologically we're a menace (I'll get to that in a moment). Resource conquest-driven aliens that want to strip-mine/eat/enslave us all aren't an issue outside of Hollywood.

The only reason that I can imagine for deliberate contact would be as an "anthropological" study. What else do we have to offer them other than data on primitive cultures? So we're probably working with their equivalent of Jane Goodall here. Contact would likely be extremely circumspect, if only to preserve the integrity of their data. Anything overt would pretty thoroughly muck up our society.

HouseofCantor jokes about their FaceBook page but with the advent of the internet that's probably the most sensible way to do this. A little borrowed WiFi and they'd have access to pretty much all the data they could want on human behavior. No worries about being discovered either. Here we are all truly anonymous.

Unplanned contact is much more terrifying. It won't happen because of the US military. Think technology gap here. What you're describing is analogous to the Montgolfiere brothers launching an attack against a US remote drone center. No chance they'd even see a drone. It's much more likely we'd get unplanned contact through technological failure on their end. Imagine a grant-funded research program with spaceships built by the lowest bidder. Inevitably something will break down.

Rabbits in Australia. That's the big worry. Exotic species are hell on your ecosystem when they come from the same planet. Contact between any two alien biospheres would likely result in incredible damage to both leading to the extinction of everything more complicate than basic colonial lifeforms. Actual macrofauna like rabbits aren't the real worry. Nothing that complex is likely to be able to survive. Too different a biochemistry to find any chow. Micro-organisms are where the problem lies. HG Wells had that bit right, though infection won't be the immediate worry. Two alien species meet, exchange bacteria, most die off but a few find a niche in the opposite ecosystem, adapt, thrive... The biochemical underpinnings for all the micro-organisms suddenly gets shifted, huge selection pressures get created in directions where none previously existed, all the microbial biology shifts. Smart scientists amongst the survivors might be able to trace the problem.

Quote:2. What would be your initial thoughts?

Cool avatar.

Wow, there go the Drake equations! I hope somebody on either side has the sense to sterilize this site. Painlessly please.

Quote:3. What would be your hopes from such a contact?

That they own Google, not 4Chan.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
02-12-2014, 06:37 AM
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  If extraterrestrials made contact with the human race:

2. What would be your initial thoughts?
3. What would be your hopes from such a contact?

1) Depends on why they are here.
2) Depends on why they are here.
3) Depends on why they are here.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
02-12-2014, 06:40 AM
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  This is a hypothetical exercise. It is not intended to demonstrate anything other than idle chitter chatter. It does not matter if you believe in their existence or not.

If extraterrestrials made contact with the human race:

2. What would be your initial thoughts?
3. What would be your hopes from such a contact?

Go!

1. I think it's more likely that we would discover some ancient ruins from a race that has long since moved on or went extinct. They would contact us by way of the relics they left behind.

2. I would be filled with awe and wonder, it would answer a couple of the big questions about life in the universe, but if they weren't around anymore we would be left to searching for answers about where they came from, and if they still exist. If they didn't leave any imagery of themselves, we wouldn't even know what they look like, we would only have indications of their intent from the machines they left behind.

3. I hope we could advance our technology from reverse-engineering their technology and that we could find out their whole story.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
02-12-2014, 09:27 AM
What if ...

They have always been here?

Imagine an advanced intelligent life-form older than the human race already living on earth? With advanced technology they could live on earth without official contact for thousands of years, and easily evade detection by us.

Many UFO reports about extraterrestrials would be incorrect, as the crafts they use were created right here on earth by them. They could live within the oceans, or sub-terrain.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
02-12-2014, 10:02 AM

I hope not like Independence Day. Tongue

(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  2. What would be your initial thoughts?

Gasp ... Consider ... Huh ... Popcorn lol

I think I'd be super excited and a bit concerned, wondering about their intentions.

(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  3. What would be your hopes from such a contact?

Dye my hair red and deliver goods to other planets and galaxies with a cyclopean woman and a robot.

Technological advancements, especially for medicine and transportation.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
(02-12-2014 09:27 AM)Free Wrote:  What if ...

Imagine an advanced intelligent life-form older than the human race already living on earth? With advanced technology they could live on earth without official contact for thousands of years, and easily evade detection by us.

Many UFO reports about extraterrestrials would be incorrect, as the crafts they use were created right here on earth by them. They could live within the oceans, or sub-terrain.

Why?

Assuming as we might that they are sane and rational beings of a sort, why would they be here? What purpose would they have?

Are they here for resources? Resource extraction from Earth is a pointless waste, with all the moons and asteroids out there. There is nothing here not found elsewhere in the system, in places easier to harvest.

Are they here for knowledge? There is nothing they could not learn from orbit or through instrumentation. To be physically present themselves accomplishes literally nothing but the possibility of complications.

Are they here for shits and giggles? That's just stupid...

One might, I suppose, posit an unplanned landing or encounter - if we assume A), they leave in an Earth-like biosphere, and thus in an emergency could take shelter here, and B), they have advanced enough craft to travel between star systems but not to repair them while travelling - but that doesn't explain why they'd linger. So we're just back to the above.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
02-12-2014, 11:27 AM
(02-12-2014 10:28 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 09:27 AM)Free Wrote:  What if ...

Why?

Assuming as we might that they are sane and rational beings of a sort, why would they be here? What purpose would they have?

Are they here for resources? Resource extraction from Earth is a pointless waste, with all the moons and asteroids out there. There is nothing here not found elsewhere in the system, in places easier to harvest.

Are they here for knowledge? There is nothing they could not learn from orbit or through instrumentation. To be physically present themselves accomplishes literally nothing but the possibility of complications.

Are they here for shits and giggles? That's just stupid...

One might, I suppose, posit an unplanned landing or encounter - if we assume A), they leave in an Earth-like biosphere, and thus in an emergency could take shelter here, and B), they have advanced enough craft to travel between star systems but not to repair them while travelling - but that doesn't explain why they'd linger. So we're just back to the above.

I think the simplest answer would be that they would be here because this is their home of origin, considering what I suggested in my post.

Perhaps they didn't come from anywhere else, but instead they evolved right here on earth?

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.