If Extraterrestrial Contact Occured

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
02-12-2014, 12:38 PM
RE: If Extraterrestrial Contact Occured
(01-12-2014 09:25 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Now... this is what I don't get.

Why Earth? There are seven other planets, countless moons and billions of tons of rubble simply floating about for them to strip mine.
Exactly.

And even if they did come to colonize and not just strip resources, for all we know Venus may more closely resemble their home planet and Earth may just be a hostile waste land to them.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
02-12-2014, 01:29 PM
(02-12-2014 11:27 AM)Free Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 10:28 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Why?

Assuming as we might that they are sane and rational beings of a sort, why would they be here? What purpose would they have?

Are they here for resources? Resource extraction from Earth is a pointless waste, with all the moons and asteroids out there. There is nothing here not found elsewhere in the system, in places easier to harvest.

Are they here for knowledge? There is nothing they could not learn from orbit or through instrumentation. To be physically present themselves accomplishes literally nothing but the possibility of complications.

Are they here for shits and giggles? That's just stupid...

One might, I suppose, posit an unplanned landing or encounter - if we assume A), they leave in an Earth-like biosphere, and thus in an emergency could take shelter here, and B), they have advanced enough craft to travel between star systems but not to repair them while travelling - but that doesn't explain why they'd linger. So we're just back to the above.

I think the simplest answer would be that they would be here because this is their home of origin, considering what I suggested in my post.

Perhaps they didn't come from anywhere else, but instead they evolved right here on earth?

Then they wouldn't be extraterrestrials, would they.
02-12-2014, 01:34 PM
(02-12-2014 01:29 PM)Rik Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 11:27 AM)Free Wrote:  I think the simplest answer would be that they would be here because this is their home of origin, considering what I suggested in my post.

Perhaps they didn't come from anywhere else, but instead they evolved right here on earth?

Then they wouldn't be extraterrestrials, would they.

You are stating the obvious, which I pointed out in an earlier post.

The following is the origin of that sub-discussion:

Free Wrote:Many UFO reports about extraterrestrials would be incorrect, as the crafts they use were created right here on earth by them. They could live within the oceans, or sub-terrain.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid694579

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
02-12-2014, 01:53 PM
(02-12-2014 01:34 PM)Free Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 01:29 PM)Rik Wrote:  Then they wouldn't be extraterrestrials, would they.

You are stating the obvious, which I pointed out in an earlier post.

Free Wrote:Many UFO reports about extraterrestrials would be incorrect, as the crafts they use were created right here on earth by them. They could live within the oceans, or sub-terrain.

And that has what to do with the thread? Nothing.
02-12-2014, 01:55 PM
(02-12-2014 01:53 PM)Rik Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 01:34 PM)Free Wrote:  You are stating the obvious, which I pointed out in an earlier post.

And that has what to do with the thread? Nothing.

Okay, since you are hard up for a pointless argument we'll just agree to whatever position you hold.

Drinking Beverage

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
02-12-2014, 07:36 PM
(02-12-2014 09:27 AM)Free Wrote:  What if ...

They have always been here?

Imagine an advanced intelligent life-form older than the human race already living on earth? With advanced technology they could live on earth without official contact for thousands of years, and easily evade detection by us.

Many UFO reports about extraterrestrials would be incorrect, as the crafts they use were created right here on earth by them. They could live within the oceans, or sub-terrain.

Difficult to hide an entire civilization. You might be advanced enough and sneaky enough to hide the actual people and structures but the waste products are an entirely different story. Humans have put down a layer of plastic in the oceans, pumped heavy metals into the air and shifted a variety of isotopic ratios. Your advanced race might be small enough and sneaky enough to hide this now but they'd have evolved from something more primitive. It'd leave an unmistakeable mark in the geological record.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
02-12-2014, 07:57 PM
(01-12-2014 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  2. What would be your initial thoughts?

I sure hope that How to Serve Man thingy they gave us isn't a cookbook.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
02-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm changing my answer on #2!

#2 "Gah! Someone find me a towel right goddamn now!"

HOW DID I FORGET THAT!?!

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
03-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Somewhere there are alien capitalists who want to mine earth for its petrified pug shit (a scarce and valuable resource where they come from), but alien hippies still have enough alien senators in office to push for the protection of primitive indigenous species like us.

'Murican Canadian
03-12-2014, 08:44 AM
(02-12-2014 09:27 AM)Free Wrote:  What if ...
They could live within the oceans

Nah, I would have seen them by now. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce