If God is all powerful and loving, why is there suffering in the world?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Question If God is all powerful and loving, why is there suffering in the world?
I just had an R.E lesson about If God's all loving, why does he let his people suffer?
and why it can lead people to atheism.It was particularly the Holocaust and I remember along time ago in another lesson we learned the the Jewish people put God on trial. We had to write down whether we agreed with this statement or not. With me being sick last week I missed the previous lesson. As I looked down on my paper, I was struggling to put the words on the paper(Vomiting takes a toll on me), I kept thinking about the video my teacher put on. It was a news report at the time of the Holocaust ended. Dead bodies were shown and it was horrible. But although I was sorry, I wasn't sympathetic or empathetic at all. I was just numb. I have been like this for a long time now. It's as if death doesn't shock me any more. Recent murders on the news I ignore. My mum saying a lot of people are been murdered. I just shrug my shoulders(in my head!) and wanted to say that's life for you. Am I horrible person? Anyway back to the topic, my friend disagreed with statement saying the Holocaust was moral evil caused by us, not God and that this was a way of teaching us a lesson. All the people went to a better afterlife. We can't change the past because it change the future. All the countries got closer and started to work together. She got a very high level for that(My teacher it could be a Level 8)
A bitter voice rang in my head saying ' If this was a lesson God had let happen,why were they more genocides? Have we really learnt our lesson? Neo Nazis, Terrorism
Corruption etc. Jews weren't the only ones been killed. Homosexuals as well. Will they go to heaven if they were gay? Last time I heard Homosexuality was a sin (I think it's performance is a sin?) in the Bible,Quran etc.' I just wanted to scream!
What do you think of the The Inconsistent Triad?

Sorry for the rant(is it rant?:huhSmile
Undecided

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2012, 12:28 PM
RE: If God is all powerful and loving, why is there suffering in the world?
(20-01-2012 11:48 AM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I just had an R.E lesson about If God's all loving, why does he let his people suffer?
and why it can lead people to atheism.It was particularly the Holocaust and I remember along time ago in another lesson we learned the the Jewish people put God on trial. We had to write down whether we agreed with this statement or not. With me being sick last week I missed the previous lesson. As I looked down on my paper, I was struggling to put the words on the paper(Vomiting takes a toll on me), I kept thinking about the video my teacher put on. It was a news report at the time of the Holocaust ended. Dead bodies were shown and it was horrible. But although I was sorry, I wasn't sympathetic or empathetic at all. I was just numb. I have been like this for a long time now. It's as if death doesn't shock me any more. Recent murders on the news I ignore. My mum saying a lot of people are been murdered. I just shrug my shoulders(in my head!) and wanted to say that's life for you. Am I horrible person? Anyway back to the topic, my friend disagreed with statement saying the Holocaust was moral evil caused by us, not God and that this was a way of teaching us a lesson. All the people went to a better afterlife. We can't change the past because it change the future. All the countries got closer and started to work together. She got a very high level for that(My teacher it could be a Level 8)
A bitter voice rang in my head saying ' If this was a lesson God had let happen,why were they more genocides? Have we really learnt our lesson? Neo Nazis, Terrorism
Corruption etc. Jews weren't the only ones been killed. Homosexuals as well. Will they go to heaven if they were gay? Last time I heard Homosexuality was a sin (I think it's performance is a sin?) in the Bible,Quran etc.' I just wanted to scream!
What do you think of the The Inconsistent Triad?

Sorry for the rant(is it rant?:huhSmile
Undecided

The Christian apologetic answer of "God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform" is on about the same level as "Because!" or "Is, too!".

They have no answer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-01-2012, 01:36 PM
(20-01-2012 12:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  The Christian apologetic answer of "God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform" is on about the same level as "Because!" or "Is, too!".

They have no answer.

Yeah I wanted to tell her why did the G-man let all those 5+ million Jews die. She said it's moral evil in her answer, so that means it's our fault(well mainly Hitler). If God is subjected to one rule called free will then he isn't as powerful as some people claim. Talk about fraud! Even sex addict Zeus is better than him.Big Grin

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
20-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Shit Sad Stupid RE. Glad they stopped shoving that down my throat in high school. I'd probably be Christian (yeeeuck!).
20-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Was I just really lucky? Confused
I never got any of this shit in my public school. What a relief for my teachers -I was probably handful enough. If this crap had been around, they wouldn't have been able to shut me up.

Not that they ever managed to. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-01-2012, 02:53 PM
because he's testing the faith of the people xD
OR
hes making them suffer in this life and in the next hell reward them for their suffering (muslims believe in those two 'answers' too)

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
20-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Let he among you who is without love be the first to speak of suffering, and I'll stone ya. Wink

It's easy to be a Christian when one is the Christ. Try it sometime. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
20-01-2012, 03:01 PM
(20-01-2012 02:53 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  because he's testing the faith of the people xD
OR
hes making them suffer in this life and in the next hell reward them for their suffering (muslims believe in those two 'answers' too)

Those both translate to "Because he's the biggest dickhead, ever."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-01-2012, 03:07 PM
(20-01-2012 03:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-01-2012 02:53 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  because he's testing the faith of the people xD
OR

Those both translate to "Because he's the biggest dickhead, ever."

No dude, hes all loving, and he wipes your memory in the afterlife of past hardships truly allah is most gracious and merciful and forgiving and shit

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
20-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Hey.

Not that I believe in good and evil r nuthin', but in the Christian (Abrahamic?) tradition, didn't God make Eden with the wonder and the pretty and the perfect and the no evil. Like wasn't that his loving gift. Then we chose to disobey him cuz he gave us free will (which, to be fair, isn't an abdication of omnipotence, it's an expression of it) and he was all like, "OK, you want evil? You got it!" And he cast us out and made us farmers and douchebags. Isn't that why these people are calling genocide moral evil, ie, we caused it?

I'm not saying they're right, but if the question is why does bad shit happen if God loves us and junk, then doesn't all of this answer the question?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt