If God is the only source of objective morality...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 07:13 PM
RE: If God is the only source of objective morality...
Quote:It is coherent because Abraham is essentially saying: "God, surely you will not sweep away the righteous with the wicked because you are Judge of all the earth?"

He is asking a rhetorical question and doing so as an appeal to God to spare the rightheous if there were any in the city to be spared.

How do you know this? You state it as though it is fact.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2014, 07:18 PM
(24-06-2014 05:59 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 05:37 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  God destroys innocents all the time.

God must exist in order to destroy something.

Unless you mean to actually say that God does not exist because if He did, He would not destroy "innocent" human beings but "innocent" human beings are destroyed so therefore God does not exist.

Now if you are an atheist, I ask you to give evidence for your premises or either admit you have graced us with yet another opinion.

What a bunch of shit you are posting ! This isn't a surprise I know. It's amazing "humans" beings like you really exists. Man!Ohmy
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
24-06-2014, 07:36 PM
(24-06-2014 07:13 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
Quote:It is coherent because Abraham is essentially saying: "God, surely you will not sweep away the righteous with the wicked because you are Judge of all the earth?"

He is asking a rhetorical question and doing so as an appeal to God to spare the rightheous if there were any in the city to be spared.

How do you know this? You state it as though it is fact.

The verse in question is a proposition which takes a rhetorical form. This is indicated by the phrase "will not" which precedes the subject of the sentence in the form of a question, thus making it a rhetorical question.

Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"
24-06-2014, 07:43 PM
(24-06-2014 07:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:13 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  How do you know this? You state it as though it is fact.

The verse in question is a proposition which takes a rhetorical form. This is indicated by the phrase "will not" which precedes the subject of the sentence in the form of a question, thus making it a rhetorical question.

Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

Why ask even a rhetorical morality question of the supposed source of all objective morality?

There is no judge of all the Earth.
24-06-2014, 08:00 PM
(24-06-2014 07:43 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Why ask even a rhetorical morality question of the supposed source of all objective morality?

To Abraham, God was not some abstract concept, but a living reality. He asks God this question because, first, there was a God to ask. Secondly, He was a man of faith and had a relationship with God. He reasons with Him who gave him the ability to reason. He glorifies God by demonstrating that the law of God is written on his conscience. He stands in the gap for the righteous and agrees with God's judgment that the unrepentant wicked are worthy of judgment.

(24-06-2014 07:43 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  There is no judge of all the Earth.

This is a truth bearing proposition and thus a claim to knowledge. Now when I was an atheist, I may have agreed with you. But if you want me to believe what you say is true, I will require evidence for it, just as I required evidence for the truth claims of Christians when I was an atheist.
24-06-2014, 08:13 PM
(24-06-2014 06:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 05:59 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  God must exist in order to destroy something.

Unless you mean to actually say that God does not exist because if He did, He would not destroy "innocent" human beings but "innocent" human beings are destroyed so therefore God does not exist.

Now if you are an atheist, I ask you to give evidence for your premises or either admit you have graced us with yet another opinion.

Are you functionally retarded? Do we to spell out everything for you?

Not to derail this but I'm learning that the word "retarded" is very offencive.
24-06-2014, 08:22 PM
(24-06-2014 08:00 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:43 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Why ask even a rhetorical morality question of the supposed source of all objective morality?

To Abraham, God was not some abstract concept, but a living reality. He asks God this question because, first, there was a God to ask. Secondly, He was a man of faith and had a relationship with God. He reasons with Him who gave him the ability to reason. He glorifies God by demonstrating that the law of God is written on his conscience. He stands in the gap for the righteous and agrees with God's judgment that the unrepentant wicked are worthy of judgment.

This is a truth bearing proposition and thus a claim to knowledge. Now when I was an atheist, I may have agreed with you. But if you want me to believe what you say is true, I will require evidence for it, just as I required evidence for the truth claims of Christians when I was an atheist.

You were never a atheist. You should stop lying.
[+] 3 users Like Leo's post
24-06-2014, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 09:03 PM by pablo.)
Quote:To Abraham, God was not some abstract concept, but a living reality. He asks God this question because, first, there was a God to ask.
So you're saying this is no longer the case? That god no longer exists?
Glad to hear it Sport! You're starting to see the light! Good for you!
Maybe all your trolling here is starting to pay off.
Quote:This is a truth bearing proposition and thus a claim to knowledge. Now when I was an atheist, I may have agreed with you. But if you want me to believe what you say is true, I will require evidence for it, just as I required evidence for the truth claims of Christians when I was an atheist.

Aww Jer, we just went through all this yesterday. No
If you want evidence for my truth claim, you must first prove your truth claim that I am refuting. Again, your presuppositions don't fly here.
I really don't feel like chasing you around your logic circles again.
[Image: Homerspinning_zpse9093fd5.gif]
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
24-06-2014, 09:10 PM
(24-06-2014 08:13 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 06:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Are you functionally retarded? Do we to spell out everything for you?

Not to derail this but I'm learning that the word "retarded" is very offencive.

It is offensive.

Individuals with mental handicaps deserve a lot more respect than to be compared to Jeremy.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
[+] 6 users Like DemonicLemon's post
24-06-2014, 09:15 PM
(24-06-2014 08:00 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  

You didn't answer the question. You just started spouting incoherent word-salad bullshit.

Quote:

This is a truth bearing proposition and thus a claim to knowledge. Now when I was an atheist, I may have agreed with you.

You were never an atheist, fucktard. You are Lyin' Fo' Jeebus again.

Quote:But if you want me to believe what you say is true, I will require evidence for it, just as I required evidence for the truth claims of Christians when I was an atheist.

Like you don't give a fucking shred of evidence for any fucking claim you make. Facepalm

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post