If God were real what was (his/her/it's) reason for creating existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2015, 03:35 PM
If God were real what was (his/her/it's) reason for creating existence
Hi guys, I've spent most of my life in deep contemplation. If someone mentions a fact then i find myself asking how and why. Most people i know tell me I think too much and I have to say there could be an element of truth in it.
Recently I feel i have reached a darker point in my questioning. I have started wondering regularly if there is any point in life. Not in a depression style but I am constantly questioning as to the reason of it all. What purpose is there in existence if not purely just to exist for the sake of existing.
Everybody seems to be searching for their purpose in life, a higher calling or a place to fit into this crazy world. If we have no aims or goals then it can become depressing. I personally cannot find drive or enthusiasm for anything at times. So why did he do it?
Why would this apparently omnipotent being create life without giving it a sense of purpose. ( Free will was so say given to us as a gift ) Our lives are completely insignificant compared to the vastness and magnitude of the known universe. It seems that even the most important people in the history of the world have had no real significance when placing their deeds and achievements in a timeline of existence. Each of us is an individual amongst millions of other people on the planet. Our planet is one of millions in our galaxy. Our galaxy is one of millions of galaxies in our universe and we are all supposed to feel like we are the most important person ever and we are all here for an amazing reason.
I don't believe in God but for those who do I ask, was it all a practical joke or could it be that he created existence without fully considering the results. Either way it seems he didn't really take into account the need for purpose. Without purpose we are nothing. Gift of free will ha ha ha. More like the gift of uncertainty and indecisiveness. Why heh! Why indeed?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 03:57 PM
RE: If God were real what was (his/her/it's) reason for creating existence
God was on an interstellar road trip to the universal grand canyon when a sudden attack of the apple splatters hit him like a ton of bricks. Took the nearest exit burning through the Milky Way Galaxy and stopped at the blue planet that look good for post mud butt clean up. After rinsing out his Holey Underoos, his anal amino acids did the rest.
[+] 5 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
05-01-2015, 04:01 PM
From a long life of contemplating the same thing:

The more you laugh and love the less you care about the answer.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
05-01-2015, 04:04 PM
(05-01-2015 03:35 PM)kaisersosay Wrote:  What purpose is there in existence if not purely just to exist for the sake of existing.

Purpose is a human invention. The only purpose our lives have is the one we give them.

Quote:Why would this apparently omnipotent being create life without giving it a sense of purpose.

Well if it were me I'd have done it to see what the over-evolved chimps did with it.

Quote:Our lives are completely insignificant compared to the vastness and magnitude of the known universe.

Depends on the scale you use.

Quote:It seems that even the most important people in the history of the world have had no real significance when placing their deeds and achievements in a timeline of existence.

Again, this is a matter of perspective.

Quote:I don't believe in God but for those who do I ask, was it all a practical joke or could it be that he created existence without fully considering the results.

If I believed in a deity I'd expect that he'd be incredibly border. Perhaps he decided to create a puzzle that he couldn't solve.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
05-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Any reason I've heard involves a god with a host of personality flaws and bizarre mental problems. Kind of like something ancient bronze-age savages would come up with. Consider

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
05-01-2015, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 04:26 PM by Mr. Boston.)
We're talking hypothetically here? I once got into a debate on the idea of a Creator/Architect/Overseer of the universe with some fairly serious Christians on a beer-brewing forum. Anyway, I saw the whole idea of brewing as being a really good analogy for what I believe "god" would be if it DID exist. God, I posited, is nothing more than a brewer, and brewers themselves are small-scale gods.

Brewers endeavor to create alcoholic beverages for some fairly noble purposes, at least they did in the age before refrigeration. Making beer was a good way to guard against water and grains spoiling, and it was a relatively cheap way for peasants to get basic nutrition. A brewer selects his ingredients, the bare minimum of which are malted grains, water, hops, and yeast, and sets out with great care to setup the ideal conditions under which an environment can be created for optimum "success" of the yeast cells feeding on the sugars, producing alcohol and CO2, and ultimately most of them dying off to create the end product: beer! The brewer does what he can to give the yeast its best chance to do its job, but much of the yeast's fate is out of the brewer's hands. All sorts of factors beyond the brewer's control could impact the yeast's viability; and while the brewer wishes the yeast the best of luck it is entirely for his own selfish ends, i.e. the consumption of their entire universe to get loaded and hopefully get laid. The brewer has absolutely zero direct knowledge of or involvement in the life outcomes of each individual yeast cell, and the yeast (lacking any consciousness as far as we know) have absolutely no ability to conceive of the will and "plan" of the brewer.

If there is a God, I find among the more plausible explanations of our relationship to it is the possibility that He did nothing more than put in place the conditions for our ecosystem to exist, in the hopes that we would flourish, but that He has been hands-off since then and the "purpose" of our lives is nothing more than to eventually be consumed at a giant cosmic keg party with his buddies and inevitably pissed away down the urinal of cosmic time. Any God that might have set all this in motion has absolutely zero knowledge of us as individuals, cannot hear our prayers, has no cares about our behavior or sex lives provided we as an ecosystem reproduce in sufficient numbers to provide whatever intoxicating by-product it is that we're supposed to produce so he can get his buzz on. Our efforts may very well please Him in the end, and he may enjoy the fruit of our labors and be proud of us for a time. But when we're gone He'll no more miss us than we miss a tasty well-crafted pint once it's gone down the drain.
05-01-2015, 04:21 PM
(05-01-2015 04:04 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Any reason I've heard involves a god with a host of personality flaws and bizarre mental problems. Kind of like something ancient bronze-age savages would come up with. Consider

There is an episode of Futurama where Bender gets lost in space that pretty much sums up the God man.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
05-01-2015, 04:34 PM
A thousand trillion years before the time of men began
in the dawning of the universe in an invisible land
lived the most beautiful unicorn that no one ever saw
with the power roughly equal to a couple hundred sharks
and she rides oh she rides

in the age before a hundred years before the age began
lived a being with a power over every mortal man
in the sky above a mountain and a midget and a tree
high above a beer volcano and a stripper factor
oh he flies ohhh he flies

on a hill above the galaxy on the dark side of the sun
eating pineapples and raisin bread waiting for the day to come
she gallops toward her destiny with a fire in her soul
with an invisible heartbeat pumping out beyond control.

and on top of old smokey covered in a heathens blood
his noodley appendeages destroying all they touch
two giant balls and angels hair blowing in the wind
and hell comes down from an angry cloud and the battle did begin

twohundredtwelve tornados and a swarm of angry bees
chased away the midget and they uprooted all the trees
but the noodley diety would not be out done

he fired pepperonies from a floating pirate ship
and he shot invisi bullets from an invisible gun
yes he shot invisi bullets from an invisible gun

and a silence fell that could be heard a thousand miles off
where a tree fell on a midget but no human heard it fall
and the smell of bottled water lingered heavy in the air
and a deaf dog whispered something that a blind man couldnt hear

and a rainbow shot just like a lightning bolt across the sky
and a string of pearly tears fell from a purple oysters eye
and the non-believers gasped and hung their gym socks out to dry
but no one could see why
she rides ohhh she rides

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
05-01-2015, 04:40 PM
(05-01-2015 04:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  From a long life of contemplating the same thing:

The more you laugh and love the less you care about the answer.
That's a nice way to think of it. I love to laugh but I find less and less to laugh about with ever increasing demands thrust upon every individual from the moment of birth. Rules and laws forced upon us which most of us had no direct involvement in creating. There is an ever increasing boredom and depression arising amongst the masses. It's all about enjoying the highs and the lows I suppose. Wink
05-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Insecurity and narcissism.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post