If God were real what was (his/her/it's) reason for creating existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2015, 11:36 PM
RE: If God were real what was (his/her/it's) reason for creating existence
(05-01-2015 03:35 PM)kaisersosay Wrote:  Hi guys, I've spent most of my life in deep contemplation. If someone mentions a fact then i find myself asking how and why. Most people i know tell me I think too much and I have to say there could be an element of truth in it.
Recently I feel i have reached a darker point in my questioning. I have started wondering regularly if there is any point in life. Not in a depression style but I am constantly questioning as to the reason of it all. What purpose is there in existence if not purely just to exist for the sake of existing.
Everybody seems to be searching for their purpose in life, a higher calling or a place to fit into this crazy world. If we have no aims or goals then it can become depressing. I personally cannot find drive or enthusiasm for anything at times. So why did he do it?
Why would this apparently omnipotent being create life without giving it a sense of purpose. ( Free will was so say given to us as a gift ) Our lives are completely insignificant compared to the vastness and magnitude of the known universe. It seems that even the most important people in the history of the world have had no real significance when placing their deeds and achievements in a timeline of existence. Each of us is an individual amongst millions of other people on the planet. Our planet is one of millions in our galaxy. Our galaxy is one of millions of galaxies in our universe and we are all supposed to feel like we are the most important person ever and we are all here for an amazing reason.
I don't believe in God but for those who do I ask, was it all a practical joke or could it be that he created existence without fully considering the results. Either way it seems he didn't really take into account the need for purpose. Without purpose we are nothing. Gift of free will ha ha ha. More like the gift of uncertainty and indecisiveness. Why heh! Why indeed?

ask your shin says jack.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 12:37 AM
There is no purpose, we are just organised matter in constant motion with other organised matter.
08-01-2015, 07:08 AM
(07-01-2015 11:04 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is infinitely above reason.

Or infinitely below. It's functionally identical with platitudes as deep as that. You could have just said "God doesn't make sense" and not looked so stupid.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
08-01-2015, 07:28 AM
(08-01-2015 07:08 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 11:04 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  God is infinitely above reason.

Or infinitely below. It's functionally identical with platitudes as deep as that. You could have just said "God doesn't make sense" and not looked so stupid.

I don't really think dildo can say anything without looking stupid.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-01-2015, 07:44 AM
(05-01-2015 03:35 PM)kaisersosay Wrote:  I don't believe in God but for those who do I ask, was it all a practical joke or could it be that he created existence without fully considering the results. Either way it seems he didn't really take into account the need for purpose. Without purpose we are nothing. Gift of free will ha ha ha. More like the gift of uncertainty and indecisiveness. Why heh! Why indeed?

I have no idea why God created the world, just like I have no idea why Picasso chose to paint, and paint the way he does. He just seemed to have done so for the sheer love of doing so, because to paint was so pleasing to him.

I do think there is purpose though, one that's seems so apparent, and yet not so, so easy to perceive, and not so.

I think the meaning of life is to love, and not just love as we typically do, but to find ourselves loving in more deeper and profound ways, and here we find life, and meaning and joy. Why this may seem at some level apparent to all of us, to love seems to be the most difficult requirement anyone can lay upon us, particularly when we've settled into our resentments, and indifferences, and that to love means to love others so close to us, that are extremely difficult to love, sometimes our own brothers, and parents.
08-01-2015, 08:43 AM
(08-01-2015 07:44 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 03:35 PM)kaisersosay Wrote:  I don't believe in God but for those who do I ask, was it all a practical joke or could it be that he created existence without fully considering the results. Either way it seems he didn't really take into account the need for purpose. Without purpose we are nothing. Gift of free will ha ha ha. More like the gift of uncertainty and indecisiveness. Why heh! Why indeed?

I have no idea why God created the world, just like I have no idea why Picasso chose to paint, and paint the way he does. He just seemed to have done so for the sheer love of doing so, because to paint was so pleasing to him.

I do think there is purpose though, one that's seems so apparent, and yet not so, so easy to perceive, and not so.

I think the meaning of life is to love, and not just love as we typically do, but to find ourselves loving in more deeper and profound ways, and here we find life, and meaning and joy. Why this may seem at some level apparent to all of us, to love seems to be the most difficult requirement anyone can lay upon us, particularly when we've settled into our resentments, and indifferences, and that to love means to love others so close to us, that are extremely difficult to love, sometimes our own brothers, and parents.

derp

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
08-01-2015, 08:55 AM
I think Tomasia has gone full fluffy. Never go full fluffy.

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-01-2015, 09:01 AM
HoC, have you seen the movie Bedazzled with Brendan Frasier and Liz Hurley? Tomasia is Frasier when he wishes to be the most sensitive man in the world.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
08-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Yea, i know. Love, is the most queasiest suggestion, the one told in nearly every fairy tale, and disney movie, and in a Beatles song. While it has its appeal for children, and maybe even romantic types and some dewy-eyed hippies, it lacks that attractive quality to those interested in the cold hands of reason, and objectivity. It's too personal of a thing, to be interested in, and place so much weight on.
08-01-2015, 09:58 AM
(08-01-2015 09:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yea, i know. Love, is the most queasiest suggestion, the one told in nearly every fairy tale, and disney movie, and in a Beatles song. While it has its appeal for children, and maybe even romantic types and some dewy-eyed hippies, it lacks that attractive quality to those interested in the cold hands of reason, and objectivity. It's too personal of a thing, to be interested in, and place so much weight on.

Of all the stupid things you've posted, this may be the stupidest.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post