If God were real what was (his/her/it's) reason for creating existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2015, 10:06 AM
RE: If God were real what was (his/her/it's) reason for creating existence
Entertainment. Like when my toddler builds a house out of Legos, compete with inhabitants and toy farm animals, then gets up and excitedly stomps it to pieces yelling "Crash! Crash!"

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 10:34 AM
(05-01-2015 03:35 PM)kaisersosay Wrote:  Hi guys, I've spent most of my life in deep contemplation. If someone mentions a fact then i find myself asking how and why. Most people i know tell me I think too much and I have to say there could be an element of truth in it.
Recently I feel i have reached a darker point in my questioning. I have started wondering regularly if there is any point in life. Not in a depression style but I am constantly questioning as to the reason of it all. What purpose is there in existence if not purely just to exist for the sake of existing.
Everybody seems to be searching for their purpose in life, a higher calling or a place to fit into this crazy world. If we have no aims or goals then it can become depressing. I personally cannot find drive or enthusiasm for anything at times. So why did he do it?
Why would this apparently omnipotent being create life without giving it a sense of purpose. ( Free will was so say given to us as a gift ) Our lives are completely insignificant compared to the vastness and magnitude of the known universe. It seems that even the most important people in the history of the world have had no real significance when placing their deeds and achievements in a timeline of existence. Each of us is an individual amongst millions of other people on the planet. Our planet is one of millions in our galaxy. Our galaxy is one of millions of galaxies in our universe and we are all supposed to feel like we are the most important person ever and we are all here for an amazing reason.
I don't believe in God but for those who do I ask, was it all a practical joke or could it be that he created existence without fully considering the results. Either way it seems he didn't really take into account the need for purpose. Without purpose we are nothing. Gift of free will ha ha ha. More like the gift of uncertainty and indecisiveness. Why heh! Why indeed?

I would say:

1) Creators create. It's what they do. Mozart makes music, Jesus makes a universe and countless creatures on Earth and...?

2) There are good purposes available in life. Great purposes include love, altruism and sharing the good news of Jesus with others--when they trust Jesus, they receive eternal life, which is an amazing thing to behold.

3) I wish you would believe in God at least a little bit, because prayer can certainly help with depression issues. Many at this forum will say it cannot, but it can.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2015, 10:39 AM
(08-01-2015 10:34 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 03:35 PM)kaisersosay Wrote:  Hi guys, I've spent most of my life in deep contemplation. If someone mentions a fact then i find myself asking how and why. Most people i know tell me I think too much and I have to say there could be an element of truth in it.
Recently I feel i have reached a darker point in my questioning. I have started wondering regularly if there is any point in life. Not in a depression style but I am constantly questioning as to the reason of it all. What purpose is there in existence if not purely just to exist for the sake of existing.
Everybody seems to be searching for their purpose in life, a higher calling or a place to fit into this crazy world. If we have no aims or goals then it can become depressing. I personally cannot find drive or enthusiasm for anything at times. So why did he do it?
Why would this apparently omnipotent being create life without giving it a sense of purpose. ( Free will was so say given to us as a gift ) Our lives are completely insignificant compared to the vastness and magnitude of the known universe. It seems that even the most important people in the history of the world have had no real significance when placing their deeds and achievements in a timeline of existence. Each of us is an individual amongst millions of other people on the planet. Our planet is one of millions in our galaxy. Our galaxy is one of millions of galaxies in our universe and we are all supposed to feel like we are the most important person ever and we are all here for an amazing reason.
I don't believe in God but for those who do I ask, was it all a practical joke or could it be that he created existence without fully considering the results. Either way it seems he didn't really take into account the need for purpose. Without purpose we are nothing. Gift of free will ha ha ha. More like the gift of uncertainty and indecisiveness. Why heh! Why indeed?

I would say:

1) Creators create. It's what they do. Mozart makes music, Jesus makes a universe and countless creatures on Earth and...?

2) There are good purposes available in life. Great purposes include love, altruism and sharing the good news of Jesus with others--when they trust Jesus, they receive eternal life, which is an amazing thing to behold.

3) I wish you would believe in God at least a little bit, because prayer can certainly help with depression issues. Many at this forum will say it cannot, but it can.

What makes these things good?

And many people would deny it because there have been studies of prayer and these aren't impact. There is a benefit to prayer for an individual a bit... but the impact is no more significant than writing a journal, thinking introspectively, or mediating in equal replacement of praying.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-01-2015, 10:51 AM
(08-01-2015 09:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yea, i know. Love, is the most queasiest suggestion, the one told in nearly every fairy tale, and disney movie, and in a Beatles song. While it has its appeal for children, and maybe even romantic types and some dewy-eyed hippies, it lacks that attractive quality to those interested in the cold hands of reason, and objectivity. It's too personal of a thing, to be interested in, and place so much weight on.

[Image: bedazzled3.jpg]
08-01-2015, 12:44 PM
(08-01-2015 08:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I think Tomasia has gone full fluffy. Never go full fluffy.

Perhaps we can find some way to discuss this, without it being so fluffy.

If we consider, our own individual idea of meaning, would love be an integral part of this? Or can we perceive a meaningful life devoid of love?

For those who have children, don't we desire them to be compassionate, loving individuals, more so than anything else? That it's better to be good than smart?

I believe it was Bertrand Russell, who stated "the good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Is that fluffy too?
08-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Put me down for "meaning and purpose are nothing but human thought constructs". It's what we decide it is, nothing more nor less -- and no less useful for all that.

Imagining some externally bestowed meaning is a way of getting out of the necessity and work of creating meaning for yourself, as well as taking responsibility for it. Prefabricated meaning is also a clever indirection -- a way of making life all about you, when in fact, it's not about anything, much less about you.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
08-01-2015, 02:53 PM
(08-01-2015 10:34 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "Creators create. It's what they do.

That's the problem. (The structure of) Reality remains unaccounted for.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-01-2015, 03:14 PM
(08-01-2015 10:34 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1) Creators create. It's what they do. Mozart makes music, Jesus makes a universe and countless creatures on Earth and...?

Except that God wasn't a creator until he created (according to the fable). Before that, he just was and had no reason to create anything since he already was everything. You're claim is circular - God creates because he is a creator because he creates because...

And, of course, there was no "before that" (creation) anyway because God exists outside of time (again, according to the fable). Since, there originally was nothing, but God and he exists outside time, then there should still be nothing, always has been nothing, and always will be nothing existing except God.

The minute God created anything, he stopped existing outside time, stopped being everything, and stopped being perfect (because he demonstrated a need or desire for something else).

More to the point: other things besides God exist, therefore God (as typically conceived by at least Christians) doesn't.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
08-01-2015, 03:27 PM
I imagine his reason for creating existence would be the same reason we have pets. He thought it would be fun and was really into it for a few hundred years or so but then he got bored, stopped paying attention and taking care of it, and now he only acknowledges it to screw round with it every once in a while.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
08-01-2015, 03:52 PM
(08-01-2015 10:34 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  [quote='kaisersosay' pid='714325' dateline

I question that a religious person could be defined as being altruistic, though they be seen to be by their congregation. When doing good deeds for others in the community there is always an ulterior motive, to attract others to their cause and identify those they should shun. In the end all religious persons fail the altruistic test as they seek reward in the after life sitting at the feet of their god.

Altruism: The principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others (opposed to egoism ).

Animal Behavior. behavior by an animal that may be to its disadvantage but that benefits others of its kind, as a warning cry that reveals the location of the caller to a predator.