If God were real what was (his/her/it's) reason for creating existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2015, 04:08 PM
RE: If God were real what was (his/her/it's) reason for creating existence
(05-01-2015 03:35 PM)kaisersosay Wrote:  Hi guys, I've spent most of my life in deep contemplation. If someone mentions a fact then i find myself asking how and why. Most people i know tell me I think too much and I have to say there could be an element of truth in it.
Recently I feel i have reached a darker point in my questioning. I have started wondering regularly if there is any point in life. Not in a depression style but I am constantly questioning as to the reason of it all. What purpose is there in existence if not purely just to exist for the sake of existing.
Everybody seems to be searching for their purpose in life, a higher calling or a place to fit into this crazy world. If we have no aims or goals then it can become depressing. I personally cannot find drive or enthusiasm for anything at times. So why did he do it?
Why would this apparently omnipotent being create life without giving it a sense of purpose. ( Free will was so say given to us as a gift ) Our lives are completely insignificant compared to the vastness and magnitude of the known universe. It seems that even the most important people in the history of the world have had no real significance when placing their deeds and achievements in a timeline of existence. Each of us is an individual amongst millions of other people on the planet. Our planet is one of millions in our galaxy. Our galaxy is one of millions of galaxies in our universe and we are all supposed to feel like we are the most important person ever and we are all here for an amazing reason.
I don't believe in God but for those who do I ask, was it all a practical joke or could it be that he created existence without fully considering the results. Either way it seems he didn't really take into account the need for purpose. Without purpose we are nothing. Gift of free will ha ha ha. More like the gift of uncertainty and indecisiveness. Why heh! Why indeed?

"He" didn't do it. There is no god and there is no externally dictated purpose. It is your responsibility to decide what your purpose is and what you are living for. It is your decision and you should not be looking for any sanction of others for your purpose in life. Your life is yours to live and you only get one. What in the world is wrong with life being an end in itself. Why do you need an ultimate purpose. I say your own rationally arrived at purpose is the ultimate purpose of your life. Life is wonderful and its own reward.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
09-01-2015, 10:58 AM
(08-01-2015 10:39 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 10:34 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I would say:

1) Creators create. It's what they do. Mozart makes music, Jesus makes a universe and countless creatures on Earth and...?

2) There are good purposes available in life. Great purposes include love, altruism and sharing the good news of Jesus with others--when they trust Jesus, they receive eternal life, which is an amazing thing to behold.

3) I wish you would believe in God at least a little bit, because prayer can certainly help with depression issues. Many at this forum will say it cannot, but it can.

What makes these things good?

And many people would deny it because there have been studies of prayer and these aren't impact. There is a benefit to prayer for an individual a bit... but the impact is no more significant than writing a journal, thinking introspectively, or mediating in equal replacement of praying.

Not trying to be flippant here, but when an atheist tells me "How do you know that" concepts like love, altruism and helping someone live eternally are good things, it underscores the need for atheists to find God.

The Bible has many verses on what to pray, when to pray, how to pray, and to whom to pray. The studies on prayer so far have not met the biblical requirements for answered prayer. Perhaps someone will do that kind of study... but wait... those who have... are called "saved". What I mean by that is 1) people who pray the Bible way become born again if they aren't when they begin and 2) when atheists tell me they used to pray but don't now, invariably they didn't pray in the prescribed manner. Sorry if that sounds like NTS but it is what it is and I'm actually grateful that 100% of the time those who pray right and wrong -- well, everything lines up.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2015, 11:02 AM
(09-01-2015 10:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 10:39 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What makes these things good?

And many people would deny it because there have been studies of prayer and these aren't impact. There is a benefit to prayer for an individual a bit... but the impact is no more significant than writing a journal, thinking introspectively, or mediating in equal replacement of praying.

Not trying to be flippant here, but when an atheist tells me "How do you know that" concepts like love, altruism and helping someone live eternally are good things, it underscores the need for atheists to find God.

The Bible has many verses on what to pray, when to pray, how to pray, and to whom to pray. The studies on prayer so far have not met the biblical requirements for answered prayer. Perhaps someone will do that kind of study... but wait... those who have... are called "saved". What I mean by that is 1) people who pray the Bible way become born again if they aren't when they begin and 2) when atheists tell me they used to pray but don't now, invariably they didn't pray in the prescribed manner. Sorry if that sounds like NTS but it is what it is and I'm actually grateful that 100% of the time those who pray right and wrong -- well, everything lines up.

Qlueless! Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
09-01-2015, 12:36 PM
(09-01-2015 11:02 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 10:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Not trying to be flippant here, but when an atheist tells me "How do you know that" concepts like love, altruism and helping someone live eternally are good things, it underscores the need for atheists to find God.

Qlueless! Facepalm

Do you have a logical or textual objection to what I wrote? Inquiry is a part of Inquisition, my friend...

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2015, 02:28 PM
(07-01-2015 11:13 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 11:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Thank you. YOU used reason to make a statement about your god, saying you cannot do the VERY thing you ARE doing, then affirmed it again.

God job !!Facepalm

Exactly! Logic is contradictory! God is the only truth.

And what does "contradictory" mean exactly in the absence of Logic.
You use the very thing you say you don't accept.
A "contradiction" is a logic claim.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-01-2015, 05:05 PM
If god were real, and I am assuming you mean the abrahamic god, he created existence so he could have a completely meaningless and infinite void of lifeless light and rock, all just so he could create pitiful creatures, torture them for all eternity and force them to worship him and praise him all the while making their completely meaningless and even more-so meaningless eternal existence outside of this void even more meaningless then before by forcing them to either worship him or be tortured.

The funny thing is, this sadistic sadomasochist decided to instead of creating a brainless thoughtless and emotionless enteties that cover a tiny portion of the most insignifigant speck possible a mind that could have the potential to reject him as of existing. Furthermore he already knew he would be fucking them all up in the end, already knew his creations would require evidence for his existence eventually, and still he put the first two originals in a forest with a poisonous tree already knowing everything that was going to happen.
That is why god created existence. So that sadomasochist could be praised and have something to inflict pain on.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
25-01-2015, 05:21 PM
(05-01-2015 03:35 PM)kaisersosay Wrote:  Hi guys, I've spent most of my life in deep contemplation. If someone mentions a fact then i find myself asking how and why. Most people i know tell me I think too much and I have to say there could be an element of truth in it.
Recently I feel i have reached a darker point in my questioning. I have started wondering regularly if there is any point in life. Not in a depression style but I am constantly questioning as to the reason of it all. What purpose is there in existence if not purely just to exist for the sake of existing.
Everybody seems to be searching for their purpose in life, a higher calling or a place to fit into this crazy world. If we have no aims or goals then it can become depressing. I personally cannot find drive or enthusiasm for anything at times. So why did he do it?
Why would this apparently omnipotent being create life without giving it a sense of purpose. ( Free will was so say given to us as a gift ) Our lives are completely insignificant compared to the vastness and magnitude of the known universe. It seems that even the most important people in the history of the world have had no real significance when placing their deeds and achievements in a timeline of existence. Each of us is an individual amongst millions of other people on the planet. Our planet is one of millions in our galaxy. Our galaxy is one of millions of galaxies in our universe and we are all supposed to feel like we are the most important person ever and we are all here for an amazing reason.
I don't believe in God but for those who do I ask, was it all a practical joke or could it be that he created existence without fully considering the results. Either way it seems he didn't really take into account the need for purpose. Without purpose we are nothing. Gift of free will ha ha ha. More like the gift of uncertainty and indecisiveness. Why heh! Why indeed?

Hmm. thecontemplative says he also spent his life in "deep contemplation".
Sounds like you should start an order of contemplatives.
Or maybe not. You can elect yourself abbot without opposition, perhaps.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
25-01-2015, 06:43 PM
(09-01-2015 10:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  [quote='ClydeLee' pid='715930' dateline='1420735153']

Sorry if that sounds like NTS but it is what it is ...

Well, at least you can identify the fallacy you are committing.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post