If Hentriatta's cells are still alive, is Henrietta really dead ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2013, 10:33 AM
If Hentriatta's cells are still alive, is Henrietta really dead ?
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/opinio...d=all&_r=0
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-630...tta-lacks/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2013, 01:38 PM
RE: If Hentriatta's cells are still alive, is Henrietta really dead ?
Somebody wrote a book about Henrietta some years ago. I once saw it at my university.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2013, 02:07 PM
(08-08-2013 01:38 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Somebody wrote a book about Henrietta some years ago. I once saw it at my university.

I've been wanting to read the book The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, published in 2010. Henrietta died in the 1950 from cancer. For some reason her cells never die. I'm not sure why they don't die but this is very valuable in cancer research and other medical fields. Her cells were given to labs all around the world but the family never received any compensation. What's even more ironic is that her family could never afford health insurance even though her cells were helped to eradicate polio and used for AIDS research. Millions of lives were saved with her cells.

It's supposed to be a great book.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
08-08-2013, 02:32 PM
They recently finalized an agreement with NIH which grants the family some control over what happens to the DNA. I don't think they get money, directly. They could have sued for millions, (if not billions, considering how many thimes the cells have been replicated).
http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_23...nformation
I think there are interview(s) by the author that Ghost Exorcist mentioned, on NPR somewhere. If anyone finds them, please link them.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
08-08-2013, 08:27 PM
If I still have my rear view mirror, is my car really crushed into a cube? Consider
08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Is your rear view mirror alive and have the DNA for for the rest of the car in it ?

08-08-2013, 10:38 PM
It probably has a production number which you can build a nearly identical car associated with it. Nearly, but not identical with a decade of wear and marking. But what's this biological factory that can replicate body and mind?
09-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Yeah, she's really dead. No brain -> no mind -> no Henrietta. Dead.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-08-2013, 02:38 AM
Yeaaaahhhh... She's dead.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
09-08-2013, 03:00 AM
(09-08-2013 01:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, she's really dead. No brain -> no mind -> no Henrietta. Dead.

Got to agree here. People are much more than genotype. Joys, traumas, preferences, environmentally conditioned unconscious habits, all gone.

I'm glad that this remarkable contribution remains, though. Thanks to science, she'll save people with her body and blood... something a certain religious figure could only aspire to.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.