If Hentriatta's cells are still alive, is Henrietta really dead ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 04:50 AM
RE: If Hentriatta's cells are still alive, is Henrietta really dead ?
If the gene can store emotions, memories and experience of a person, then she could be considered alive. But, from what we know, genes do not contain life experiences of a person and when the memories, emotions and experience were lost, so was the person who lived that.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 05:01 AM
I don't really disagree with any of that.
Her family "reports" having received a call (out of the blue) by the research facility, saying "they called and said they *had Henrietta* there". (Clearly they had/have no scientific background). It took months before they would even talk to the author of the book. The family was afraid she was going to "steal" their DNA, (too).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
09-08-2013, 06:44 AM
So, how did they even find out that her cells were alive? Most people die and are processed without further ado.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-08-2013, 07:51 AM
(09-08-2013 06:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  So, how did they even find out that her cells were alive? Most people die and are processed without further ado.

They had already taken samples before she died. She, of course, did eventually die; the extracted cultures did not (indeed, have not).

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
09-08-2013, 09:21 AM
(09-08-2013 07:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  They had already taken samples before she died. She, of course, did eventually die; the extracted cultures did not (indeed, have not).

How soon were the samples collected after she died?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
09-08-2013, 10:28 AM
(09-08-2013 09:21 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 07:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  They had already taken samples before she died. She, of course, did eventually die; the extracted cultures did not (indeed, have not).

How soon were the samples collected after she died?

They had them from before she died. I haven't watched the BBC documentary, (in my OP). I s'pose I should. Dodgy

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
09-08-2013, 10:51 AM
(09-08-2013 10:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 09:21 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  How soon were the samples collected after she died?

They had them from before she died. I haven't watched the BBC documentary, (in my OP). I s'pose I should. Dodgy

The book is on my Kindle but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Her family, from what I heard on NPR, didn't have much understanding of science and weren't educated so they thought she was maybe still alive and the scientists were hurting her with their experiments.

Bucky, did the BBC documentary explain why her cells don't die? I find that amazing.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
09-08-2013, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 11:19 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-08-2013 10:51 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 10:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They had them from before she died. I haven't watched the BBC documentary, (in my OP). I s'pose I should. Dodgy

The book is on my Kindle but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Her family, from what I heard on NPR, didn't have much understanding of science and weren't educated so they thought she was maybe still alive and the scientists were hurting her with their experiments.

Bucky, did the BBC documentary explain why her cells don't die? I find that amazing.

NPR made it sound like it was unusual. Now I think not. They can be frozen, and grown indefinitely, as long as the proper nutrient environment is maintained.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-na...Cells.html

09-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Well, at the time, past attempts to keep cells alive were futile. They would only survive for a few days before dying. The cells of Henrietta's tumor, however, did not die, which allowed the scientists to culture them and create the first "immortal cell line."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Lacks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post