If I come out as an atheist, my daughter will lose her best friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2014, 09:18 PM
RE: If I come out as an atheist, my daughter will lose her best friend
You are stronger than I. I'm pretty intolerant of those who are intolerant and pass blind judgments on me and my family. My daughter is right about to enter kindergarten though, and I may be faced with a similar situation a few years up the road. Good luck..

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Elskidor's post
03-07-2014, 10:09 PM
I have not really "told" her friend, although I suspect she knows. Her friend already told me about the other girl who was banned, and I considered it a warning. It reminds me of "don't ask, don't tell".

I have had a lot of influence on my daughters friend over the years, she has asked me a lot of questions that she would not/could not ask her own mother. So I have sort of justified playing pretend by telling myself it is for the greater good.

But then some days I start thinking about how nice it would be to stop playing pretend, the problem is that it would not be me paying the price.
04-07-2014, 07:44 AM
My personal opinion is that this is a situation where you make a sacrifice for your child. Hold your tongue and stay closeted to these morons for 3 more years until the daughter is an adult and no longer under their control. They have been friends since toddlerhood, and now they are almost adults. How many friendships last that long? If your daughter were saying 'screw them! Don't hide who you are!" that would be a different story, but I would respect her wishes on this.
[+] 3 users Like beeglez's post
04-07-2014, 08:44 AM
It sounds like these parents are on your Facebook page too, move them to a restricted status, because if you 'like' something, they can see it. You don't even have to share it.

If something does come up that you are ok with them seeing, you can change it for that one post, but they won't be able to follow all of your likes.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
04-07-2014, 03:44 PM
It's likely best to keep silent on your atheism. The daughter's friend may have already wondered about it. I'm sure her parents have been a bit nosey and as long as she doesn't know for certain that you are atheist, she can be truthful to her parents' questions.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
04-07-2014, 05:18 PM
(04-07-2014 03:44 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  It's likely best to keep silent on your atheism. The daughter's friend may have already wondered about it. I'm sure her parents have been a bit nosey and as long as she doesn't know for certain that you are atheist, she can be truthful to her parents' questions.

That is pretty much what I thought. It is nice to see others agree!
04-07-2014, 05:19 PM
(04-07-2014 08:44 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  It sounds like these parents are on your Facebook page too, move them to a restricted status, because if you 'like' something, they can see it. You don't even have to share it.

If something does come up that you are ok with them seeing, you can change it for that one post, but they won't be able to follow all of your likes.

Yes, I have them on restricted, but my daughter did not realize it, so she was stressing out.
28-07-2014, 12:05 PM
What benefit (to you personally) to coming out as an atheist to all the public?

I'm an "out" atheist, but most people around me probably wouldn't know unless they are curious facebook friends. I don't see a need to "publicly" come out as an atheist just like I don't see a need to "publicly" come out as an abortion advocate. I guess it depends on what you mean by public...but in general there are several things about any individual that are usually kept among friends and family.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
30-07-2014, 07:24 PM
.that is very sad to hear that and I don't think there's anything you can do.

The double standard sickens me. you'll never hear an atheist tell their kids they can not hang out with a Christian. this is the kind of shit that sickens me about religious people and religion.
30-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Why not keep your mouth shut, and be an insidious devious "mole".
At least that way, you can pick your battles, and spread doubt at opportune moments in a non-blatant way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post