If I was homeless tomorrow Id seek a church for help is that wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2013, 03:48 PM
If I was homeless tomorrow Id seek a church for help is that wrong?
If I became homeless tomorrow and I could get no help from friends or family, I would seek shelter, and find food, and I would attend church to start networking as a way to help me find a job.

The thing is programs like soup kitchens, shelters, and pantries that assist individuals in need are run by churches.

Furthermore you could put up a sign and stand in the corner and hope that someone will pay attention to you. But people have a stereotype of people that stand in the corner asking for stuff. Church is the only place I know where people are curious to know who you are they shake your hand and honestly get to know you. You can tell them your situation tell them your looking for work, and it would be much more effective then standing in the corner.

Would you find it anyway a contradiction or hypocritical if an atheist had to a church runned organization to get help?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2013, 04:03 PM
RE: If I was homeless tomorrow Id seek a church for help is that wrong?
No, I don't. But I might look for a secular organization first.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Nah, go for it. If they want to pay to shelter and feed you, let em. Its their ill-gotten money being put to good use. Just make sure you don't start spreading the word of god... Unless its the super crazy parts, and only read as satire.
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
09-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Well, they use donationmoney (meant for charity) to build castels in the Vatican and gold jewelry for the (previous) pope.
So, no, they can be hypocrite, so can you.

But even if you were up front and honest: they probably wouldn't turn you away. It's un-christian and immoral. Wink

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
09-10-2013, 06:14 PM
No, I don't see a problem with it. My synagogue participates in feeding and housing the homeless. I volunteered once this year and hope to do so again. Whatever religion or non-religion of the people who stay with us is completely irrelevant. I did have one woman tell me that she felt much less judged there than she had at other locations (which happen to be churches) but I'm sure there are many churches that do the same sort of work without making a big religious deal out of it. If you nee help, you need help.
09-10-2013, 06:53 PM
While I probably wouldn't go straight there, like Momsurroundedbyboys says, in that situation it is not about the issue on whether or not there is a deity, it is whether or not you will have enough food to live and survive. Any kind person that wants to help you is not the enemy.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
09-10-2013, 08:08 PM
no because if God is real he will reveal himself to you, maybe, but only if you believe he has revealed himself already.
Religious group have been historically the only groups with something to give, be it time shelter money food.
So seek the lord, get back on your feet and either rejoice in finding god or stay with the joy of reason and the curiosity of life.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-10-2013, 08:19 PM
(09-10-2013 08:08 PM)sporehux Wrote:  no because if God is real he will reveal himself to you, maybe, but only if you believe he has revealed himself already.
Religious group have been historically the only groups with something to give, be it time shelter money food.
So seek the lord, get back on your feet and either rejoice in finding god or stay with the joy of reason and the curiosity of life.

I agree wholeheartedly with the first and last parts of this post.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
09-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Maslow's hierarchy of needs - survival comes first. Sometimes you have to do things you wouldn't otherwise do and swallow your pride to survive. A church would be a last resort to me, but I would never refuse any help if I was in serious need, or judge those who do.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
09-10-2013, 09:10 PM
(09-10-2013 03:48 PM)gamingathiest Wrote:  Would you find it anyway a contradiction or hypocritical if an atheist had to a church runned organization to get help?

Only if you made the generalisation that religion is entirely bad.

The major religions do promote some pro-social behaviour. Jewish and Islamic charities tend to be only concerned with their own tribes but most Christian charities are genuinely universal.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user