If I were a billionaire i'd...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2015, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2015 11:27 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
RE: If I were a billionaire i'd...
(28-05-2015 12:31 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  If you had won a lottery for let's say a Billion dollars.

What would the first thing you'd do?

And what would you spend most the money on?

Would you quit your job?

Do you think it would change you as a person?

I think the first thing i'd do would be to pay off all my debt.

I've would live to buy a large plot of land and construct it to be my dream paradise.

I would quit my Job.

I hope it wouldn't. I think I've been pretty true to myself and would remain the same. Maybe a little more generous.

I ask these because I've heard a number of stories where the money didn't help. People burned threw it. Like in 2003 when a 16 year old Brit teen spent nearly all her L1.9 mill ( $2,868,656.25) on cocaine, fast cars and Holidays. 6 Years later she had burned threw nearly all of it. She said in a statement that the money didn't make her happy and she was glad it gone.

Other shows I've seen about people that hit it big get tons of dissent family members, or money grubbers that want nothing more then a hand out. But when the winner needed help these same people didn't give them to tears.

Teen Millionaire http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...caine.html

I don't know what the first thing is I'd do but I can guarantee I'd do some pretty crazy shit.
I'd probably give a fuckload away.
I wouldn't quit my job. I'd just fuck everything up until I got fired.
It would not change me. It would change everyone else.. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Lets see that's times 6,8 for currency conversion. Hmmm I would be freaking boring. pay of debts help my closest family do the same. Oh and do it for my daughters mother too. I see that as a gain for our daughter as she lives with her. Then what. . . drivers license and a car. A house perhaps. Haven't spend anything close to a billion Danish crowns yet. Perhaps see if it would be viable to blow the rest on setting up another big telescope somewhere to further that field of science. Well guess I'd love some left over money to live the rest of my life without worrying too much about work.
31-05-2015, 07:16 AM
Re: If I were a billionaire i'd...
Wouldn't that be nice. I'd buy property and build a house to live in. It would have a library room. I'd build an animal sanctuary beside it.

Working computer and high-speed internet.

Get some medical attention I can't currently afford.

I'd start a decent, secular, private school in my area. (You wouldn't believe the public schools here; and ALL the private ones are Christian.)

Fix my car, fix up the kids' favorite park.

Finish college.

Buy some land near one of these giant crosses and erect a giant, money wasting statue of Odin.

I'd pay off all debts and put some up for the future; then I'd donate some and fund various projects.
31-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Add --

I'd also build a full scale replica of the Hindenburg -- (using Helium and Dacron) --- so I could fly over people who've pissed me off - and take a leisurely dump on them.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-06-2015, 09:59 AM
(28-05-2015 01:53 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Since I'm a delusional atheist with no objective morality I would spend it all on me. I'd buy several thousand houses, cars, and make fake copies of all my bills so I could fly over desolate areas of the earth with starving, dying people and throw it out of my 30 million dollar jet several times a week. All in spite to show them that I was just another cruel atheist with no belief in god.

Oh I would also purchase a bouncy house and build my own VOLTRON
- defender of the universe. Big Grin

And look you'd still have money left over.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/18/775916...-on-amazon

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
02-06-2015, 10:58 AM
(02-06-2015 09:59 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 01:53 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Since I'm a delusional atheist with no objective morality I would spend it all on me. I'd buy several thousand houses, cars, and make fake copies of all my bills so I could fly over desolate areas of the earth with starving, dying people and throw it out of my 30 million dollar jet several times a week. All in spite to show them that I was just another cruel atheist with no belief in god.

Oh I would also purchase a bouncy house and build my own VOLTRON
- defender of the universe. Big Grin

And look you'd still have money left over.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/18/775916...-on-amazon

I hate that title.

"...mech robot..." fuck off, it's either a mech or a robot.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-06-2015, 07:18 PM
I'd open up trust funds for all of my cousins, put myself through school and get a bunch of degrees, buy prime real estate in the city (I'm from NY), put my Mom up at a penthouse suite, open a college fund for my sister and brother, and invest the rest after maybe buying a house in the UK and one here.
03-06-2015, 01:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 02:07 AM by Airportkid.)
Amazing. Nearly 60 responses and every one starts out by spending some of that billion.

Wrong.

I wouldn't spend a nickel of it. Not a penny. It's far too powerful an economic engine to diminish by reducing it.

Without any research at all and using existing personal funds I'd get it into savings accounts, probably several thousand of them, earning at least half a percent a year. Now I've got a steady income of 5 million a year at virtually no risk whatsoever and can take my time about planning how I'm going to manage this colossal engine. With 5 million a year I can easily retire debts, establish a more luxurious residence, travel, and generally NOT HURRY about making the best use of this government sized chunk of economic clout.

A billion in net worth makes me a voice that governments would listen to. Not just my own, but any government on the planet. There just aren't that many billion dollar voices on the planet; being one of them is a stupendous privilege, and an opportunity not to be squandered on personal peccadilloes that sap its strength.

So part of that 5 million a year would pay the salaries of carefully vetted assistants, to educate me in how the world really works, an education I had no use for until becoming a billion dollar voice.

Of course, a portion of that 5 million would also get added to the principal, making the billion increase, never decrease.

In about 5 years I should know enough and have close consulting staff enough to start talking to governments about what measures I deem salient, and ways and means of pushing governments, however slightly, into instituting measures beneficial to general prosperity. Getting governments to work toward my aims is a substantially more powerful lever than using branches pruned off that billion.

In 10 years I'd have found enough worthwhile investments to net much better than 1/2 percent a year, and the 5 million a year would now be closer to 50 million a year. The billion would now be 1.1 billion or so. And continuing to increase. The last thing I'd want to do is undercut the power of my voice, so whatever investment course I've taken would be significantly hedged. No 100 million flyers on the cutting edge - leave those investments to others. I'd stake solid, plodding science, and persuade governments to underwrite the innovative ventures.

That's what the billionaires really do. They don't spend that capital; it's far too precious to waste by spending it. They use it to talk to governments, and get the governments to do the spending.

Meanwhile there'd be enough out of earnings to pay Jason Statham to be a love slave, although I wouldn't make personal use thereof due to incompatible sexual orientation but would gift him to JennyBee, as that particular application of wealth moves the happiness meter up somewhat higher on the scale than getting a Rolex, and getting a smile from JennyBee even higher still.
03-06-2015, 07:06 AM
(03-06-2015 01:44 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Amazing. Nearly 60 responses and every one starts out by spending some of that billion.

Wrong.

I wouldn't spend a nickel of it. Not a penny. It's far too powerful an economic engine to diminish by reducing it.

Without any research at all and using existing personal funds I'd get it into savings accounts, probably several thousand of them, earning at least half a percent a year. Now I've got a steady income of 5 million a year at virtually no risk whatsoever and can take my time about planning how I'm going to manage this colossal engine. With 5 million a year I can easily retire debts, establish a more luxurious residence, travel, and generally NOT HURRY about making the best use of this government sized chunk of economic clout.

A billion in net worth makes me a voice that governments would listen to. Not just my own, but any government on the planet. There just aren't that many billion dollar voices on the planet; being one of them is a stupendous privilege, and an opportunity not to be squandered on personal peccadilloes that sap its strength.

So part of that 5 million a year would pay the salaries of carefully vetted assistants, to educate me in how the world really works, an education I had no use for until becoming a billion dollar voice.

Of course, a portion of that 5 million would also get added to the principal, making the billion increase, never decrease.

In about 5 years I should know enough and have close consulting staff enough to start talking to governments about what measures I deem salient, and ways and means of pushing governments, however slightly, into instituting measures beneficial to general prosperity. Getting governments to work toward my aims is a substantially more powerful lever than using branches pruned off that billion.

In 10 years I'd have found enough worthwhile investments to net much better than 1/2 percent a year, and the 5 million a year would now be closer to 50 million a year. The billion would now be 1.1 billion or so. And continuing to increase. The last thing I'd want to do is undercut the power of my voice, so whatever investment course I've taken would be significantly hedged. No 100 million flyers on the cutting edge - leave those investments to others. I'd stake solid, plodding science, and persuade governments to underwrite the innovative ventures.

That's what the billionaires really do. They don't spend that capital; it's far too precious to waste by spending it. They use it to talk to governments, and get the governments to do the spending.

Meanwhile there'd be enough out of earnings to pay Jason Statham to be a love slave, although I wouldn't make personal use thereof due to incompatible sexual orientation but would gift him to JennyBee, as that particular application of wealth moves the happiness meter up somewhat higher on the scale than getting a Rolex, and getting a smile from JennyBee even higher still.

drivel.

Yes, I wish I'd thought of that first. Yes, I'm kind of jealous. Especially the part about JennyBee. So, just... just sit down and quit making the rest of us look bad.

Tongue

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
03-06-2015, 11:06 AM
If I were a billionaire i'd...
Just having a billion won't make any government listen. You'd have to spend it. And 5 million per year is a drop in the bucket for them.