If I were president/chancellor, etc.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2017, 07:01 AM
If I were president/chancellor, etc.
If I were the ruler of the country I live in, and I had 3 things I could do guaranteed successfully, what would they be?

Lobbying that involves more than just talk (especially money, whether directly, through gifts, favors or through superpacks) would be illegal.

I would install a social safety net that supports education, re-training, health care and base income.

Elections would be by simple majority.

But by far the most important thing would be education. I do believe that the US divide is caused by lack of education.

What would you do for your country?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
29-05-2017, 07:48 AM
RE: If I were president/chancellor, etc.
1. Nationalized free healthcare and education through at least four-year college level. (Private doctors and private schools still permitted)
2. Elections reform: Reverse Citizens United and make lobbying with cash or services illegal; redraw all gerrymandered districts; eliminate the Electoral College.
3. Commit to renewable/clean energy with the same enthusiasm and resources Americans once devoted to getting a man on the moon.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
29-05-2017, 07:56 AM
Universal minimum income.
Socialized health care.
Public baths with compulsory daily usage for all French immigrants and tourists.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Just 3 things?

Tough choices, but then again that's what the job entails:

1. Tax churches and church property. Rates to be determined.
  2. Compulsory science and maths education, paid by the state, starting in grade 1 right through to the end.
  3. Single-payer health care, including dental and vision.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
29-05-2017, 08:18 AM
No more career politicians. Term limits need to be set so that we don't end up with another Strom Thurmond and others of his ilk.

Get all the states on the same page as far as school curriculum...with a little leeway for small areas of study about the state and/or region where the school is located along with actual classes about the rest of the world...not just Geography.

Actual help where help is needed and better monitoring to reduce or remove benefits from those who are becoming, or have become, more or totally self-sufficient. This covers a broad spectrum from health care to food stamps.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-05-2017, 08:21 AM
I would spend the majority of my time changing rules related to lobbying and policy making.

We aren't going to progress as a country (U.S.) as long as lobbyists have this government by the balls.

717 Insurance company lobbyists reported in 2016. There are 535 members of congress.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
29-05-2017, 09:56 AM
1. Socialized health care.

2. Bring Common Core up to snuff so it really is a universal curriculum. I never thought about this much until moving to Cheeseland, and having to explain things to students that I learned in elementary school in West Virginia, in a college classroom. I did not have to explain those things in Pennsylvania.

3. Term limits for members of Congress and (since we seem to have infinite power not bound by the Constitution), for Governors.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2017, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2017 10:29 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
I would:

1. Focus on getting money out of politics for one thing, and I would condemn/ridicule all of the politicians who take corporate money for the entirety of my term.

2. Focus on universal healthcare, I think I'd have a good reason to run on that due to being born with a genetic condition, and I would increase science funding for eliminating genetic conditions/diseases etc.

29-05-2017, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2017 10:52 AM by adey67.)
1) Introduction of proportional representation in the voting system
2) the elimination of homelessness and affordable or even free accommodation to all in need regardless of attitude.
3) Free healthcare and a stringent curb on unskilled immigration with controls also on religious cults and indoctrination of young people also much better food for those in prison (reduces violence encourages better behaviour and less assaults on staff and gives prisoners something to focus or look forward to)
29-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Consider
  1. 100% Death Tax
  2. Kick out all the whities and their damned Western culture.
  3. The 5 times per day call to prayer to have drum'n'bass

Regarding the last one... a bit like this:

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post