If I were president/chancellor, etc.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2017, 11:05 AM
RE: If I were president/chancellor, etc.
I'm American

1) Give our weapons and Hawaii to Sweden
2) Surrender all land north of Virginia to Canada
3) Surrender the rest to Mexico
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
29-05-2017, 11:18 AM
(29-05-2017 11:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider
  1. 100% Death Tax
  2. Kick out all the whities and their damned Western culture.
  3. The 5 times per day call to prayer to have drum'n'bass

Regarding the last one... a bit like this:

You are British and I KNOW you are a good man, do NOT even suggest those things even in jest, yanks are not known for their sense of irony.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
29-05-2017, 11:47 AM
(29-05-2017 07:48 AM)julep Wrote:  1. education through at least four-year college level.

Who would do the menial tasks if everyone has a bachelor degree?
29-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Abolishing student debt would destroy the topless barista industry.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
29-05-2017, 12:03 PM
(29-05-2017 11:47 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(29-05-2017 07:48 AM)julep Wrote:  1. education through at least four-year college level.

I would contend that she meant that that level of education is possible under her plan. Though if everyone had a bachelor's degree, there would still be plenty of people only qualified to perform menial tasks. I know plenty of people with a bachelor's degree who still need to be told what to do and when to do it. Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
29-05-2017, 12:17 PM
(29-05-2017 12:03 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(29-05-2017 11:47 AM)KUSA Wrote:  Who would do the menial tasks if everyone has a bachelor degree?

I would contend that she meant that that level of education is possible under her plan. Though if everyone had a bachelor's degree, there would still be plenty of people only qualified to perform menial tasks. I know plenty of people with a bachelor's degree who still need to be told what to do and when to do it. Rolleyes

Gotcha. We certainly need to have educated people for the country to be economically strong. I don't think most people benefit from a degree though. Most people are better off with a vocational school. The ones that are academically gifted need to pursue higher education.
29-05-2017, 12:54 PM
(29-05-2017 11:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider
  1. 100% Death Tax
  2. Kick out all the whities and their damned Western culture.
  3. The 5 times per day call to prayer to have drum'n'bass

Regarding the last one... a bit like this:

Where did you say you lived again?

Why the death tax? Are people very clannish there?

You want them to throw you out of the country?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-05-2017, 12:58 PM
(29-05-2017 12:17 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(29-05-2017 12:03 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I would contend that she meant that that level of education is possible under her plan. Though if everyone had a bachelor's degree, there would still be plenty of people only qualified to perform menial tasks. I know plenty of people with a bachelor's degree who still need to be told what to do and when to do it. Rolleyes

Gotcha. We certainly need to have educated people for the country to be economically strong. I don't think most people benefit from a degree though. Most people are better off with a vocational school. The ones that are academically gifted need to pursue higher education.

People need a solid basic education in all subjects, they need to be able to read well enough to enjoy it, they need to understand biology and anthropology and many other things. They need to KNOW shit.

If you have an uneducated sub-class, you are going to have Trumpers.

Vocational training is probably going to be more important as we enter the robotic age, but that doesn't mean that every single person should not be taught a basic understanding of how the world works.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-05-2017, 01:16 PM
(29-05-2017 11:47 AM)KUSA Wrote:  

This is not aimed at everyone having a bachelor degree, just at allowing people who want to get a bachelor degree, or even just want to take a few college courses in an area of interest, to do so without a crushing amount of debt. However, that would also allow people with bachelors to do those menial jobs without going into bankruptcy. I know quite a few people with bachelors (and masters) degrees working at menial jobs, or at nonmenial but insanely low-paying jobs, because I'm in the arts.

If I'd been granted a magic wand I'd have flattened compensation levels and the costs of essentials so that anyone who works full-time at ANY job makes enough for food, reasonable shelter, other necessities, and a little savings and recreation. That's the way things should be, IMO.
29-05-2017, 01:23 PM
(29-05-2017 12:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  People need a solid basic education in all subjects, they need to be able to read well enough to enjoy it, they need to understand biology and anthropology and many other things. They need to KNOW shit.
I completely agree. This should be covered in grade school though. Our school system sucks and should be repaired.

Quote:If you have an uneducated sub-class, you are going to have Trumpers.
I don't think education and political views are a linear equation.

Quote:Vocational training is probably going to be more important as we enter the robotic age, but that doesn't mean that every single person should not be taught a basic understanding of how the world works.
Most jobs require vocational training not a 4 year degree. The basic understanding of how the world works should be covered in grade school.

I don't have a Bachelors degree. Most of my peers I work with have said degree and make half the money I do because they are less capable than I am.

A degree is a good thing but it won't automatically make someone of average or less intelligence successful.