If I were president/chancellor, etc.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2017, 01:23 PM
If I were president/chancellor, etc.
Reduce power of church by making indoctrination of children illegal and making it pay for all it's expenses, make people more free by legalizing abortion, euthanasia and drugs, change focus of education to teach critical thinking.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
29-05-2017, 01:31 PM
RE: If I were president/chancellor, etc.
I want to do this for the country I live in because I will apply for citizenship here.

So I would remove the religious bits from the constitution to allow for true separation of state and church. This would open the doors to a lot of change that I wouldn't have to do with my two remaining guaranteed working things.

I would remove the church from the school system and replace it with state schooling. With the change of point 1, religion has no place in school education anymore and those things can be filled with useful things instead.

I would remove the church from the health care system as well. Mostly women would benefit from this because hospitals couldn't use religious reasoning anymore when they deny women life saving abortions. They would actually be held accountable for letting women die that could easily survive.

All of my changes would hopefully over time move the country to a more reasonable and secular place. Ireland is already moving forward, having implemented gay marriage just two years ago by referendum.
But there is still a lot to do here. So these are the three things I would do to even the way for more and bigger changes.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
29-05-2017, 02:30 PM
I'd do a "great job".

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
29-05-2017, 02:57 PM
1. Free Education based on academic achievement and societal needs. Interest free Student loans made available to anyone and the loans paid off in full by the government for all those that graduate and meet the following criteria:

a) If they get good enough grades (i.e. 80% and up)
b) If they graduate in a field where there is a need in society (i.e. If the medical association says that we need 500 doctors and 5000 nurses to replace retiring same, or to accommodate population growth, then the first 500 & 5000 that graduate with 80% or higher get all their student loans paid in full)

2. Not sure how to word this but, a trust/duty of care/understanding of culpability component that increases (or in some cases decreases) the maximum or minimum sentences (including fines and also awards of damages in civil cases) to court rulings, for example:

a) (trust/duty of care) If the average sentence for guy a found guilty of assault was say...1 year, then in the case of a father assaulting a son the sentence should start at 2 years. (same for doctor/patient, lawyer/client, teacher/student etc...you get the idea)

b) (understanding of culpability) First time you take a drug or get drunk and you cause injury to persons or property and get convicted you may be able to say "I didn't know what I was doing" or some such. But get drunk or drugged up again and do something the same or similar (i.e. driving or getting violent under the influence) you should be charged as if you did it the same as if you were sober,
cause you should have known (as there would now be court records) that this outcome was a real possibility before you imbibed etc...

3. Freedom of speech. Protections for those under 16 as to what they can be exposed to (yes.. I don't know how I would do this) over 16 no restrictions, fuck shit & tabernac all you want, but mainly to shine the light on the hate speakers, if we have made a free & educated society as everybody keeps telling us then let us shame, wit, argue and maybe even talk them.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
29-05-2017, 03:05 PM
(29-05-2017 02:30 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I'd do a "great job".

Would you make Americans slaves again, masa?
29-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Quote:But get drunk or drugged up again and do something the same or similar (i.e. driving or getting violent under the influence) you should be charged as if you did it the same as if you were sober,

I totally agree that drunk drivers should be prosecuted like they were sober!
29-05-2017, 03:23 PM
-Mandatory Meatless Mondays Tongue

-Make Snipples a national holiday.

-Make Jason Statham first lady.

-Have congressional dance-offs.

-Give State of the Union address in various yoga poses.

Wink
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
29-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Quote:-Give State of the Union address in various yoga poses.

Wink

You got my vote right there.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
29-05-2017, 04:55 PM
I would annex the Sudetenland and invade Poland. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
29-05-2017, 05:04 PM
(29-05-2017 04:55 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I would annex the Sudetenland and invade Poland. Big Grin

It's been done before

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post