If Jesus Never Existed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2017, 07:48 AM
If Jesus Never Existed...
I know some think Jesus did not exist, and some think he did exist but was merely human. This got me thinking if Jesus didn't exist, how did all the stories about him originate?

This isn't the same as asking how did the stories of Zeus/Odin etc exist because they are obviously 'gods' and were never deemed to be human. But there's this story about a man called Jesus, who walked and talked in Galilee and spoke to people etc.

So the question is, if Jesus did not exist, how did the stories start? For me, I think there was a 'man' called Yeshua and he was an apocalyptic prophet of the Jews who spoke against their beliefs. They didn't like it so they brought up charges against him and had him killed.

I can understand how the supernatural stories might be called a myth, but surely that myth had to have come from somewhere?

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
25-04-2017, 08:00 AM
RE: If Jesus Never Existed...
If he didn't exist and the stories exist then it is fairly obvious. Harry Potter didn't exist yet the stories exist. How? When you have your answer to that question, you'll have your answer to your question.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like WillHopp's post
25-04-2017, 08:02 AM
(25-04-2017 07:48 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I know some think Jesus did not exist, and some think he did exist but was merely human. This got me thinking if Jesus didn't exist, how did all the stories about him originate?

This isn't the same as asking how did the stories of Zeus/Odin etc exist because they are obviously 'gods' and were never deemed to be human. But there's this story about a man called Jesus, who walked and talked in Galilee and spoke to people etc.

So the question is, if Jesus did not exist, how did the stories start? For me, I think there was a 'man' called Yeshua and he was an apocalyptic prophet of the Jews who spoke against their beliefs. They didn't like it so they brought up charges against him and had him killed.

I can understand how the supernatural stories might be called a myth, but surely that myth had to have come from somewhere?

Considering most of the population was illiterate and extremely superstitious, simple tricks could convince them of some sort of miraculous healing. I think the simplest answer is that these are stories written to a group of Christians in the early church that were written to purposely undermine Judaism and assert the supremecy of Christian doctrine over Judaism.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
25-04-2017, 08:03 AM
There is no real difference between one mythos and another. The Jesus mythos is more believable to you because you were nurtured on it from the cradle. That is all.

I think IF Jesus existed as a discrete human on which the mythos is based (a rather big IF in my view), the god-man thing arises organically out of the fact he's a human with supernatural claims superimposed upon him. It's probably the "strongest" (read: least weak) argument in favor of the notion.

But it is not original with Christianity that god is paradoxical or many-natured. God as duality or trinity for example, is a far more foundational concept from which the "god-man" naturally arises.

At any rate ... there are all sorts of Zeus stories, all sorts of Jesus stories, all sorts of Ganesh stories. We are story-telling creatures, it's what we do. If there's not an actual narrative to be had, we'll invent / impose one.
[+] 5 users Like mordant's post
25-04-2017, 08:04 AM
From what I understand, the whole bible (maybe more old testament in general) is combinations of pre-existing stories from local cultures, which the Romans combined for "ease of access", but just changed the names/locations and stuff like that. I would only really presume this applies to the new testament as well.

Reading up on it, it appears the Roman's have very little in the way of actual records in terms of Jesus himself, when they seemingly had a written record for everything. "Jesus" could very well have been a normal guy, or a guy with mob like connections (as some believe) or entirely fictional. The only thing we know for sure is that the overall stories of doing lots of magic aren't true.

I personally would say "Jesus" was not a real person, but again multiple stories of "nice" blokes were brought into one big story, to slap on the end of the bible.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
25-04-2017, 08:05 AM
People can and do completely make things up.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
25-04-2017, 08:11 AM
(25-04-2017 08:05 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  People can and do completely make things up.

That just isn't true.

Take my personal deity, Dr.McNuggetFingers: He did standeth on thine hill, with only a small cardboard box containing 1 chicken McNugget. And dideth say unto thee, "Let us thou dine upon my almighty nugget feast", when the nuggets began to multiply and he fed the many, and the few, upon his bountiful McNugget meal.

True story Hobo

PS: I'm really hungry, but that's not related to the above story.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
25-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Well ... there is a flat that has been rented (by a group of people) for nearly 100 years in the center of London. The address is 221b Baker Street. It is and has always been listed in the city directory as the residence of S Holmes.

I personally detest all of the "new" Star Trek films - the ones with the "youthful" cast. Why? Because they fucked with the Kobayashi Maru and in my book, one does not
FUCK WITH THE KOBAYASHI MARU! Evil_monster

Not that I believe any of that shit ... I'm just sayin'. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
25-04-2017, 08:19 AM
You were never born, Jesus. You don't exist.

[Image: Guardian_angel_clarence.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-04-2017, 09:07 AM
(25-04-2017 07:48 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I know some think Jesus did not exist, and some think he did exist but was merely human. This got me thinking if Jesus didn't exist, how did all the stories about him originate?

So based on your logic, some sort of Bigfoot has to exist; after all if it didn't, why all the stories?
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post