If Jesus Never Existed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2017, 09:20 AM
RE: If Jesus Never Existed...
(26-04-2017 12:47 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 04:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  SeaJay is yanking chains...a lot of them who should know better than to fall for this
apologist.
Honestly, I'm not. I understand why you'd think that, probably because of all the apologists that come here. But I assure you I am not doing that

(25-04-2017 04:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  He's afraid of hell and is convinced there was a Jesus of virgin birth who disappeared for most of his supposed life only to come into the picture so that he could be put to death and come back again to save souls.
No I'm not 100% convinced of a virgin birth yes I am afraid of hell

Why would you even be remotely convinced of a virgin birth at all?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2017, 09:31 AM
(26-04-2017 08:54 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  The first step in this is you taking a step back and just really thinking about the issue. And when I say think, I mean like really contemplate it, not read the bible/look at Jewish texts etc for evidence of what you already believe, but just really take a huge step away from that, and think about it from a blank slate standpoint, and go from there.
It's really weird you should say this because about 20 minutes ago I said to myself (in my head) "I don't know what I believe" and then "I don't believe, anymore." I probably didn't mean what I thought, in fact, I kind of knew I was just thinking the phrase to see if the sky fell or something. Nothing happened, but I did feel a pang of fear (uh oh...Just had the thought I don't believe anymore so now I am going to hell type of fearful thought).

I'm going to do just that. Sit and think about all of this. Thanks for the advice.

(26-04-2017 08:54 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Honestly, good luck with it all, but I don't think I can personally contribute anything else other than the above.
Ok thank you

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
26-04-2017, 09:33 AM
By the way, OakTree, whenever I see your avatar, it always makes me think you're replying to posts with a "WTF!" or something similar Big Grin

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
26-04-2017, 09:35 AM
(26-04-2017 09:20 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 12:47 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Honestly, I'm not. I understand why you'd think that, probably because of all the apologists that come here. But I assure you I am not doing that

No I'm not 100% convinced of a virgin birth yes I am afraid of hell

Why would you even be remotely convinced of a virgin birth at all?
No reason other than faith

26-04-2017, 09:43 AM
There is no "if", the character of the bible never existed. A man or group of men obviously started Christianity otherwise it would not exist. But there is no such thing as a magic baby with super powers and nobody survives the death myth as the bible would have one believe.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
26-04-2017, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2017 12:17 PM by kim.)
Fuck - wrong thread. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-04-2017, 11:04 AM
(26-04-2017 09:35 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 09:20 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Why would you even be remotely convinced of a virgin birth at all?
No reason other than faith

Then you don't have a reason, because faith isn't one.

You can't say you believe it's true just because something old said so and that no one has proven it didn't happen; otherwise there's a ton of things you now force yourself to believe in that I know you don't.

Also you must believe every religion, which then puts you in a world of problems.
26-04-2017, 07:10 PM
No response? Hmmm.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
26-04-2017, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2017 07:35 PM by Full Circle.)
Check out post #22 from GWG’s resource thread

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ead?page=3

And post #45 in full below

"The TRUE Messiah!
In the first century of the common era, there appeared at the eastern and of the Mediterranean a remarkable religious leader who taught the worship of one true God and declared that religion meant not the sacrifice of beasts but the practice of charity and piety and the shunning of hatred and enmity. He was said to have worked miracles of goodness, casting out demons, healing the sick, raising the dead. His exemplary life led some of his followers to claim he was a son of God, though he caught himself the son of a man. Accused of sedition against Rome, he was arrested.

After his death, his disciples claimed he had risen from the dead, appeared to them alive, and then ascended to heaven. Who was this teacher and wonderworker? His name was Appollonius of Tyana; he died about 98 CE, and his story may be read in Flavius Philostratus’s Life of Appolonius. Comparative mythology scholar Joseph campbell wrote in his book “the hero with 1000 faces”, both Apollonius and Jesus are examples of individuals who shared similar hero stories, along with Krishna, Buddha and Romulus. The followers of Apollonius believed he was the true son of God, and that Jesus was a fraud.

Then when you look at Romulus, 800 years BEFORE jesus, and you see the exact same hero god construct....ah, isn’t mythology fun?"

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-04-2017, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2017 09:53 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Why would anyone be afraid of (the non-Biblical) idea of hell ? The Jews (ancient Hebrews) did not believe in it. Jesus never said anyone was going there. Paul thought only the saved were immortal, "put on immortality". In Hebrew culture, until well after the Exile, immortality consisted in familial continuation (through male children, ... they thought the entire baby was "delivered by the father into a fertile womb ... they didn't know about chromosomes). After the Exile, when family units were disrupted, and the concept of "individuality" arose, (which is when they became firmly monotheistic), it laid the groundwork, for individual immortality. But even then the concept was "exaltation" (metaphorical), not "going on to endless life". It was not until the Jewish Diaspora came into contact with Greek ideas (Hades) that "hell" eventually developed. Jews thought all dead "shades" went to Sheol, (a place of darkness and "sleep"), which was not where Yahweh and the "heavenly host" lived. The present concepts that Christians tout as "the new covenant" are a total fraud. In no way, do they flow from Hebrew religious traditions.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ic-Origins
If Jesus never existed, nothing would be any different. The early Christians were Jews, (members of the Way sub-sect), and when the end-times didn't happen, as they ALL expected, they invented Christianity, salvation, and all the rest.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.