If Jesus Never Existed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 07:10 PM
RE: If Jesus Never Existed...
(27-04-2017 05:41 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 04:25 PM)JesseB Wrote:  For instance if you read on a blog about a census at the time of the birth of jesus, look on that site for that source.

Saying if a christian site has a proper citation. Laugh out load

Admittedly you're far more likely to get a source (albeit a fraudulent source or a source that contradicts the message) from a science denying site like climate science deniers. But... if they do follow it and see the truth for yourself.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2017, 09:21 AM
(25-04-2017 02:26 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  The whole 'Jesus mentioned in the Talmud' topic is a good example of why I ask these types of questions. I'm trying to avoid the situation wherein I say "Ok that's that, I'm an atheist", only to find out the very next day that there's so-called irrefutable evidence that Jesus actually existed/Christianity is true. Evidence that might not shake your non-beliefs, but may well shake mine.

I understand I'm never going to know everything 100% for sure, but I am trying to alleviate the issues that might arise as much as I can by researching as much as I can. It might take another 24 hours or another 24 years. But I need to be sure about this decision to the best of my ability.

I've been Christian for a very long time, so I expect this might take some time.

I think you're approaching this from the wrong way. I think you're worried that if you decide that you are NOT Christian, then you have to believe in SOMETHING, and that you need to figure out what box you are in. IMHO, you should definitely research into these topics, but it should primarily be about what you think is the most logical viewpoint to have. There is no hardcore atheist belief system that you have to subscribe to. There is no belief system at all.

Right now I consider myself a cultural Roman Catholic. I go to church most Sundays and I do some volunteering at the church. I believe very little of what the RCC teaches today - with the bible being very sketchy based on it's origins and contradictions. I guess you can say that I'm actually agnostic. It doesn't seem like there is a higher power actively governing our lives, and if there was it would most likely be the type of being who put the whole universe into motion and then stepped back to observe.
[+] 1 user Likes Plan 9 from OS's post
01-05-2017, 10:42 AM
(01-05-2017 09:21 AM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 02:26 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  The whole 'Jesus mentioned in the Talmud' topic is a good example of why I ask these types of questions. I'm trying to avoid the situation wherein I say "Ok that's that, I'm an atheist", only to find out the very next day that there's so-called irrefutable evidence that Jesus actually existed/Christianity is true. Evidence that might not shake your non-beliefs, but may well shake mine.

I understand I'm never going to know everything 100% for sure, but I am trying to alleviate the issues that might arise as much as I can by researching as much as I can. It might take another 24 hours or another 24 years. But I need to be sure about this decision to the best of my ability.

I've been Christian for a very long time, so I expect this might take some time.

I think you're approaching this from the wrong way. I think you're worried that if you decide that you are NOT Christian, then you have to believe in SOMETHING, and that you need to figure out what box you are in. IMHO, you should definitely research into these topics, but it should primarily be about what you think is the most logical viewpoint to have. There is no hardcore atheist belief system that you have to subscribe to. There is no belief system at all.

Right now I consider myself a cultural Roman Catholic. I go to church most Sundays and I do some volunteering at the church. I believe very little of what the RCC teaches today - with the bible being very sketchy based on it's origins and contradictions. I guess you can say that I'm actually agnostic. It doesn't seem like there is a higher power actively governing our lives, and if there was it would most likely be the type of being who put the whole universe into motion and then stepped back to observe.
If I ever came to the conclusion that no gods exist, I'd very probably just keep on meditating and believe in a cold grave as my ultimate destiny.

I don't really want to be swapping one belief system for another

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
This is an interesting discussion

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
01-05-2017, 10:45 AM
(01-05-2017 10:42 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  If I ever came to the conclusion that no gods exist, I'd very probably just keep on meditating and believe in a cold grave as my ultimate destiny.

“In choosing your god, you choose your way of looking at the universe. There are plenty of Gods. Choose yours. The god you worship is the god you deserve.” - Joseph Campbell

#sigh
01-05-2017, 10:48 AM
(01-05-2017 10:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 10:42 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  If I ever came to the conclusion that no gods exist, I'd very probably just keep on meditating and believe in a cold grave as my ultimate destiny.

“In choosing your god, you choose your way of looking at the universe. There are plenty of Gods. Choose yours. The god you worship is the god you deserve.” - Joseph Campbell

"I don't deserve no Gwynnies." John Cantor.

If Jesus never existed I would have invented him. True story.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-05-2017, 10:51 AM
(01-05-2017 10:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  If Jesus never existed I would have invented him. True story.

That's what Bob did. Thumbsup SLACK! :bowdown:

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-05-2017, 10:55 AM
(01-05-2017 10:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  If Jesus never existed I would have invented him. True story.

"Et si tu n'existais pas,
Je crois que je l'aurais trouvé,
Le secret de la vie, le pourquoi,
Simplement pour te créer
Et pour te regarder vénérer." Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-05-2017, 10:59 AM
(01-05-2017 10:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  

"Et si tu n'existais pas,
Je crois que je l'aurais trouvé,
Le secret de la vie, le pourquoi,
Simplement pour te créer
Et pour te regarder vénérer." Drinking Beverage

I love it when Vera dresses up in her sexy French maid outfit. Big Grin

And if you did not exist,
I think I would have found it,
The secret of life, the why,
Simply to create you
And to watch venerate.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-05-2017, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 11:22 AM by Vera.)
(01-05-2017 10:59 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Vera [...] sexy...

[Image: 200.gif]

Plus, if I didn't think it would cheapen all that he's achieved and all that I admire him for, I'd say that French astronauts beat French maids any day of the week...

[Image: Thomas_Pesquet_in_training.jpg]

Parbleu, that came out way worse than in sounded in my head Blush

I think that I would have found
The secret of life, the why
Only to create you
And to gaze at you
(or, as I very aptly - if I say so myself (then again, if I waited for someone else to praise me - or even like me - I'd die an old, bitter... um... never you mind) put it, worship you)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post