If Jesus Never Existed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2017, 10:18 AM
RE: If Jesus Never Existed...
(25-04-2017 09:55 AM)Grauwyler Wrote:  Well, Josephus was born in 37 AD, so that hardly puts him in any position as eyewitness regardless. When I think about all the Elvis sightings and apocrypha even in the age of television and radio (in my own lifetime no less), it becomes a little less mysterious how it could have gotten off the ground way back when.

Yes, we essentially have the Plebian version of the Zapruder film. And I'll just bet there was someone suspicious up there on that grassy golgotha! Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
25-04-2017, 10:18 AM
The Whole Jesus tale was concocted by Paul (Saul of Tarsus) long after jebus died. He twisted the tale to fit the narrative he wanted to establish.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Apparently, this was written about Jesus in the Talmud

"Yeshua of Nazarene was hanged on Passover Eve. Forty days previously the herald had cried, “He is being led out for stoning, because he has practiced sorcery and led Israel astray and enticed them into apostasy. Whosoever has anything to say in his defense, let him come and declare it.” As nothing was brought forward in his defense, he was hanged on Passover Eve."

I can't understand why enemies would write of a Jesus they saw as an enemy if this Jesus did not exist.

EDIT: From the wikipedia

"The Talmud contains passages that some scholars have concluded are references to Christian traditions about Jesus (Yeshua). The history of textual transmission of these passages is complex and scholars are not agreed concerning which passages are original, and which were added later or removed later in reaction to the actions of Christians."

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
25-04-2017, 10:26 AM
(25-04-2017 10:22 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Apparently, this was written about Jesus in the Talmud

"Yeshua of Nazarene was hanged on Passover Eve. Forty days previously the herald had cried, “He is being led out for stoning, because he has practiced sorcery and led Israel astray and enticed them into apostasy. Whosoever has anything to say in his defense, let him come and declare it.” As nothing was brought forward in his defense, he was hanged on Passover Eve."

I can't understand why enemies would write of a Jesus they saw as an enemy if this Jesus did not exist.

They wrote of others, as well. You are focused on one of them.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
25-04-2017, 10:29 AM
(25-04-2017 10:22 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  EDIT: From the wikipedia

"The Talmud contains passages that some scholars have concluded are references to Christian traditions about Jesus (Yeshua). The history of textual transmission of these passages is complex and scholars are not agreed concerning which passages are original, and which were added later or removed later in reaction to the actions of Christians."

Exactly this, most holy texts were heavily edited/adding to/taken away from MANY years past when things supposedly happened. It's more likely that what one religion became popular, the others added to theirs to discredit the other deitys accordingly.

Plus in total fairness, there is no way only 1 person was called Yeshua, it could literally be anybody else with the same name.

Seriously there are so many factors to take it, I think you're just having a hard time thinking outside the box about it.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
25-04-2017, 10:33 AM
(25-04-2017 07:48 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  This got me thinking if Jesus didn't exist, how did all the stories about him originate?

Give ya the inside scoop. If you're schizophrenic (which oddly and universally affects 1% of the population) and you have a psychotic break, the brain may simulate agency in mind to preserve functionality of mind; if this hack works, a prophet may appear.

That's the first ingredient of revealed religion. The other is prophetic times. Like when your culture is overrun with conquering interlopers and tradition spawns apocalyptic windbags like prime numbers spewing cicadas.

And when a certain windbag blows in from a Mithra infatuated cosmopolitan zone like Tarsus in the day on the winds of Grecian mystery religion...

Shit happens.

And these needy faithful counter with "if Jesus is fiction, why do certain sects argue so fervently for minutiae?" to which I reply, "my skeptical friend, Comic-Con is blowing into town next week, let's take a ride..."

[Image: 83596820.png]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-04-2017, 10:35 AM
But the Jews writing in the Talmud who saw Jesus as an enemy still wrote about him. They never deny he existed, but actually comment on him. As for it being another Jesus, going by the narrative, I'd have to say they are on about the Jesus of the bible who tried (in their eyes) leading them into apostasy.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
25-04-2017, 10:36 AM
I Heart Mithra. Blush

25-04-2017, 10:41 AM
Mothra?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
25-04-2017, 10:42 AM
An article in the October 3, 2003 issue of The Jewish Week [Eric J. Greenberg, "Jesus' Death Now Debated by Jews"] raises the question of whether the Talmud and other rabbinic literature provide historical information about the role played by Jewish individuals or institutions in the death of Jesus. Prof. Michael Cook here explains that these materials were shaped by the circumstances of Jews and Christians centuries after the crucifixion and so provide no historical data about that event itself."

https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/res..._Jesus.htm

Still researching this