If Jesus revealed himself to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2014, 03:17 AM
If Jesus revealed himself to me
One thing that struck me last night was that...

If Jesus had revealed himself in front of me and said "Here I am, I'm real after all!", I would turn fking nuts and insane from panic attacks thinking: "....I'm gonna live forever and ever and ever, and I won't be able to escape...".

Do you think Christians ever think that it is FOREVVVEER?

I know that when I was a christian, I only thought of it as a second life without thnking about how long it would be...

There was one night though, when I suddenly thought of it while I was a christian, and I remember it being a scary thought.

Did you (those who are or were christians in here) ever worry about the prison that is eternity?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Typho2k's post
30-12-2014, 06:18 AM
RE: If Jesus revealed himself to me
Haha, They don't even think about evidence. A lot of them cannot fathom that the earth is 4.5 Billions years old, you think they can comprehend eternity?

I like to use crime as an analogy when I'm talking to them. If you REALLY TRULY believed that one day you would be in front of an omnipotent creator answering for your sins, you would live your life completely different. The same way that you don't rob a bank, it's not because you don't like money, it's because you're afraid of going to jail.

They're not afraid of going to hell, or eternity in heaven because they don't think about that shit. If they did, they wouldn't be Christians.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
30-12-2014, 06:22 AM
I think the thought did occasionally pop into my mind when I believed trying to comprehend how long that would be, but you quickly just rationalize that it's going to be happy, happy, joy, joy and then put it out of your mind.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
30-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Space-time is a property of this universe (only) as far as we know.

[Image: tumblr_ljd6qpdRTM1qawwqzo1_400.jpg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-12-2014, 07:03 AM
(30-12-2014 03:17 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  ...
If Jesus had revealed himself in front of me and said "Here I am, I'm real after all!", I would turn fking nuts

Consider

I suspect that could be interpreted as evidence that you were already fucking nuts.

World without end, forever and ever. Amen?

I think I could cope with that. I find endings, on the whole, disappointing.

But endlessly forced to praise the divine dictator? No thanks. But at least I'd have long time to discover a method of spiritual suicide.

Dodgy

30-12-2014, 07:09 AM
I'd kick him in the junk.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-12-2014, 07:43 AM
(30-12-2014 07:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 03:17 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  ...
If Jesus had revealed himself in front of me and said "Here I am, I'm real after all!", I would turn fking nuts

Consider

I suspect that could be interpreted as evidence that you were already fucking nuts.

World without end, forever and ever. Amen?

I think I could cope with that. I find endings, on the whole, disappointing.

But endlessly forced to praise the divine dictator? No thanks. But at least I'd have long time to discover a method of spiritual suicide.

Dodgy

I might be a bit nuts...

But, you think you could handle forever?

Endings are disappointing, but eternity isn't a little bit overkill?

This is why I hope reincarnation is the true "religion" or what you would call it Big Grin

Always a fresh, new, not tired of life mind every 80 years! (Or whatever the average lifespan is)
30-12-2014, 07:48 AM
(30-12-2014 03:17 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  ... If Jesus had revealed himself in front of me and said "Here I am, I'm real after all!" ...

You wouldn't give the man a few dollars, perhaps offer him a lift to the closest public health facility, then continue with the rest of your day, the encounter quickly forgotten?

If approached like that you'd accept his claim as genuine? How would you know he was the real persona and not someone deranged?

To my mind that's a serious problem with the so called second coming: how would anyone be able to tell that's what it was? For all we know the second coming occurred March 9, 1933 in Times Square NYC and the poor guy was taken to Bellevue, dying there of natural causes in 1975, a tragic disappointment to his doctors who were never able to cure the man's delusions.

How would you know it was him?
30-12-2014, 08:08 AM
(30-12-2014 07:48 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  To my mind that's a serious problem with the so called second coming: how would anyone be able to tell that's what it was? For all we know the second coming occurred March 9, 1933 in Times Square NYC and the poor guy was taken to Bellevue, dying there of natural causes in 1975, a tragic disappointment to his doctors who were never able to cure the man's delusions.

The holes in the hands? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-12-2014, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2014 01:29 PM by gofish!.)
(30-12-2014 08:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 07:48 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  To my mind that's a serious problem with the so called second coming: how would anyone be able to tell that's what it was? For all we know the second coming occurred March 9, 1933 in Times Square NYC and the poor guy was taken to Bellevue, dying there of natural causes in 1975, a tragic disappointment to his doctors who were never able to cure the man's delusions.

The holes in the hands? Consider

Yeah, that worked out really well in an episode of Beavis and Butthead.

"I'm the grrrreat Cornholio!"

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.