If Prayer Worked, Science Wouldn't

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
25-02-2015, 10:01 AM
RE: If Prayer Worked, Science Wouldn't
(25-02-2015 07:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 01:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Again, G_d is Father, so we can fix what you've written to:

"The whole notion that a parent helps his children who ask him to favor them is incredibly conceited. He obviously doesn't answer ALL requests, so that obviously means that some children are more special in his eyes than others."

Is that what it means when a parent says yes and at other times, no, to help a child grow, learn and experience joy?

OK -- listen up Zippy ---

I don't know who's been filling your pointy little head with nonsense -- but the "G_d"
bit is the most uninformed, unthinking bit of shit you've tossed out to date.

"God" is not the "unspeakable name" of god..... "God" is a generic term. "Thou shalt have no gods before me". You think it means "Thou shall have no me before me"??????

YHVH is the "unspeakable name" you're mistakenly referring to.....

"God" is the name of MY God, indeed....

Quit being such a sanctimonious twit.

You don't get to take claim to generics - that's why they're generic.

Since you're an atheist, I call No True Jewish person on you. I mean, my G_d already.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2015, 10:02 AM
(24-02-2015 03:13 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 01:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Again, G_d is Father, so we can fix what you've written to:

"The whole notion that a parent helps his children who ask him to favor them is incredibly conceited. He obviously doesn't answer ALL requests, so that obviously means that some children are more special in his eyes than others."

Is that what it means when a parent says yes and at other times, no, to help a child grow, learn and experience joy?

Actually, we can fix that for you: "While some children grow up in loving families, God chooses to have some of his children grow up in homes where they are sexually abused in order to help them grow up, learn and experience joy."

Well, then your god is totally fucked up, and only a worthless piece of shit would would sit by and do nothing while a child grows up being sexually abused and do nothing, even though they have the power to stop it from happening.

So if God makes the abuser not abuse, should He then take free will away from the abuser, but not the intended victim? Is that a level playing field?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
25-02-2015, 10:04 AM
(24-02-2015 03:43 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 01:16 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  But seriously, I appreciate your being in a helping profession, I just find the story "off". So someone was in pain and they praised the Lord for helping them and a loved one formerly in pain so now it's a funny story to you? I don't get it.

You must not know any nurses. Humor is a coping mechanism. If nurses were serious and didn't crack jokes about the crap we encounter we'd be hanging ourselves left and right. Not to mention, I reaaally resent the fact that I went to college so that I could help people shit, since RNs are rarely afforded the luxury of aids these days. So I'm going to laugh about that kind of stuff to help with the anger and frustration.

And yes, my patient straining for a shit and converting to NSR and thinking god dunnit when there is a simple medical explanation- that's funny shit. He preached to me for ten minutes, and then the NP for 15. I really didn't have time for that nonsense. That's 25 mins I could have spent charting or taking a legitimate lunch break - I typically work 14 hour shifts when I'm scheduled for 12.5, so I get a little irritated when people waste my time.

I didn't think his mom dying was funny. I was actually quite empathetic while he told me about it - my charge nurse tried to come in and tell me something while he was sharing and I waved him off. It would have been poor bedside manner and a therapeutic communication fail to have done otherwise. I kept my mouth shut about how ridiculous the thought that saying "lord have mercy" while having a bowel movement caused divine intervention. Rather egotistical to think god cares about a man taking a dump when we have other patients on the unit dying and their prayers going unanswered. Where was god for the mother in her early 20s down the hall when she began having complications from her BiVADs, got removed from the heart transplant list, and died after being on our unit for MONTHS? Oh. That's right. There is no god. Shit happens.

I think I follow? It wasn't funny that he was in pain, it wasn't funny that his mom died. It was funny that he wasted your time to say he thanked god he had help--help which you provided, which is why you joined a helping profession.

No, that's not funny, either.

25-02-2015, 10:40 AM
(25-02-2015 10:04 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... It was funny ... he thanked god he had help ... No, that's not funny ...

I think you'd see the humor if he'd thanked Elvis for letting him poop.

It'd've been less funny if he thanked Nurse, or thanked his doctor, as they were the ones who actually helped, not Elvis, or a god, or Santa Claus, or a demon, or an angel, or the Bilderbergs.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
25-02-2015, 01:12 PM
(25-02-2015 10:40 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(25-02-2015 10:04 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... It was funny ... he thanked god he had help ... No, that's not funny ...

I think you'd see the humor if he'd thanked Elvis for letting him poop.

It'd've been less funny if he thanked Nurse, or thanked his doctor, as they were the ones who actually helped, not Elvis, or a god, or Santa Claus, or a demon, or an angel, or the Bilderbergs.

Rolleyes What can I say, I'm a shitty person with a shitty job and a shitty sense of humor. And no, he never once thanked me. Instead spouted off about how doctors don't know anything. Right.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
26-02-2015, 05:51 AM
Doctors and nurses clearly have no purpose. They don't heal anyone. Only god does that.

Medicine? Pah! Waste of time. God cures them.
26-02-2015, 06:01 AM
Something else makes me think too, and I can't work it out.

God is present in developed countries, as is man made technology and highly skilled medical staff. Here a lot of people get cured of various illnesses.

In poorer countries, God is present but the technology is lacking and there isn't a pool of highly skilled medical staff and these patients are dying of minor illnesses.

I can't understand how that happens if god is present in both situations.
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
26-02-2015, 06:05 AM
(26-02-2015 06:01 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Something else makes me think too, and I can't work it out.

God is present in developed countries, as is man made technology and highly skilled medical staff. Here a lot of people get cured of various illnesses.

In poorer countries, God is present but the technology is lacking and there isn't a pool of highly skilled medical staff and these patients are dying of minor illnesses.

God likes Whitey - the proof is that Jesus was white. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-02-2015, 06:12 AM
(26-02-2015 06:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 06:01 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Something else makes me think too, and I can't work it out.

God likes Whitey - the proof is that Jesus was white. Thumbsup

Exactly. The bible originally being written in English is also a dead give away
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
26-02-2015, 06:21 AM
(26-02-2015 06:12 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 06:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  God likes Whitey - the proof is that Jesus was white. Thumbsup

Exactly. The bible originally being written in English is also a dead give away

Good point. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]